Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which Ina May for a VBAC after first difficult delivery?

(7 Posts)
Poppet45 Sun 10-Jul-11 14:27:54

Topic as title really. I had an emcs for DS after he got stuck in deep transverse arrest 19 hours into a failed waterbirth in which I had been active upright, avoiding drugs - everything 'they' tell you helps increase success. Had a largish PPH and then ended up in HDU. So I'm not a 'starry eyed' if I just think positive it will all go okay type... anymore, sniff, I know luck plays a much bigger role than I realised it did. So which Ina May would people think might be most appropriate for me to read: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, or Spiritual Midwifery? I am the child of two hippies so I can happily cope with a certain level of lentil weaveryness but have definitely had my eyes open to the less fun aspects of childbirth. That said I really need a confidence boost before DD is born in November. So which did you prefer?
Thanks for reading.

mawbroon Sun 10-Jul-11 14:51:17

I read Guide to Childbirth in the run up to having a VBAC with ds2. DS1 was breech so I had an elective, but ds2 turned at 37 weeks making me panic a bit!!

After I read it, i really did feel that it might be achievable, despite it being a VBAC, having a bi-cornuate uterus and a broken ankle!

Hope it goes well smile

FannyLogan Sun 10-Jul-11 15:13:02

Childbirth is more main stream, spiritual midwifery is a bit more far out, man.

MummyAbroad Sun 10-Jul-11 16:23:13

I read Guide to Childbirth, and squirmed at the hippy bits because I am not that way inclined at all, but I loved the book and credit it with successful natural birth of DS1 (I did have a doula too and a tens machine too, both helped enormously!!)

Just started reading Spiritual Midwifery and I hate it! I am sure I would never have managed to have DS naturally if I had only read this! Its far far far too spiritual for me, and also contains some nasty horror stories early in that are having the absolute opposite effect and making me scared! I found Guide to Childbirth really encouraging and it totally helped pysche me into a "I can do this" mentality. Spiritual Midwifery on the other hand is not having the same effect, if you do read it, do it AFTER Guide to Childbirth. (I think the really big difference is that Ina May is a young inexperienced midwife in SP, just leaning her trade, you dont hear the same confidence of a woman that has done thousands of births that you get in GtoC)

Another really good book (slightly hippy too) is Birthing from Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitzbut, if you are only going to buy one book, make it Guide to Childbirth.

best of luck with your VBAC xx

MummyAbroad Sun 10-Jul-11 16:48:54

I read Guide to Childbirth, and squirmed at the hippy bits because I am not that way inclined at all, but I loved the book and credit it with successful natural birth of DS1 (I did have a doula too and a tens machine too, both helped enormously!!)

Just started reading Spiritual Midwifery and I hate it! I am sure I would never have managed to have DS naturally if I had only read this! Its far far far too spiritual for me, and also contains some nasty horror stories early in that are having the absolute opposite effect and making me scared! I found Guide to Childbirth really encouraging and it totally helped pysche me into a "I can do this" mentality. Spiritual Midwifery on the other hand is not having the same effect, if you do read it, do it AFTER Guide to Childbirth. (I think the really big difference is that Ina May is a young inexperienced midwife in SP, just leaning her trade, you dont hear the same confidence of a woman that has done thousands of births that you get in GtoC)

Another really good book (slightly hippy too) is Birthing from Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitzbut, if you are only going to buy one book, make it Guide to Childbirth.

best of luck with your VBAC xx

Poppet45 Sun 10-Jul-11 18:14:54

Thanks all so much! I definitely think I'll plump for Guide to Childbirth then. I'm afraid my spiritual/hippy factor took a big dip after DS so I want to rebuild my confidence without feeling alienated. Thanks again.

MovingAndScared Sun 10-Jul-11 18:31:24

I read Guide to Childbirth on the run up to my VBAC - wonderful book
Had a good friend with me as well as DH who had had a sucessful VBAC that made a big difference and choose a hospital and consultant that were were in my view pretty clued up about VBAC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now