Talk

Advanced search

Difference between a show and mucus plug

(5 Posts)
HappyHollydays Fri 08-Jul-11 19:53:46

I have wondered about this since DDs birth.

I had what I just thought was a bloody show at 39 weeks but when I called delivery suite they said blood wasn't normal and to come in. I was admitted overnight and cx started in the early hours the next day.

My mucus plug went later, I was in labour and felt a pop, assumed it was my waters but it wasn't it was definitely the plug (fascinating!).

But I still keep reading about a bloody show and I can't work out what it should be like.

Can I ask about your bloody show please? Don't worry about tmi. I'm 24 weeks with dc2 and worried I won't know a normal show this time.

Zwitterion Fri 08-Jul-11 19:57:27

For me it was like end of period/lochia blood - brownish red. I woke up in the night and saw the sheets were stained. Went into labour the following morning.

Zwitterion Fri 08-Jul-11 19:58:42

And I called the delivery suite and they said this was a show, btw.

HappyHollydays Fri 08-Jul-11 20:52:36

Thanks zwitterion. Was it dark then?

Mine was red, perhaps that's not normal?

Zwitterion Fri 08-Jul-11 22:02:29

Yes, sort of rusty colour, like old blood (which I guess it is)

Actually I called the hospital because there was lots of it and it was so dark I thought it might have been my waters, but with meconium in. First timer panic I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now