Talk

Advanced search

Internal stitches sticking out/not dissolving - TMI

(5 Posts)
Zimbah Fri 08-Jul-11 18:44:38

I had a third degree tear 6 weeks ago and thankfully it's healed up fine. However, a couple of days ago I discovered there was what felt like a sharp point sticking out of the skin in my perineum. As it happened, I had a six week follow-up appointment at the hospital in the afternoon so I said I thought I could feel a stitch. The Dr and Midwife had a look, I pointed to where I could feel it but they couldn't see anything. At that point it was only sticking out probably less than a mm so I imagine he couldn't feel it through his gloves. Anyway he said that the internal stitches are made of nylon but will nevertheless dissolve, and sometimes they move around and poke out of the skin. If I was still having problems in two months to go back.

Two days later and this stitch is now sticking out probably 2/3mm from my skin. Sometimes it really hurts depending on how I sit/move as it sticks into me, ouch. I tried pulling it earlier today, I was able to pull it a small amount but then it stuck and obviously I don't want to pull hard because presumably the other end of it is attached to me internally or knotted.

I have googled (bad move I know) and all I can find is that internal nylon stitches don't dissolve and if they stick out from the skin have to be removed. I'll have to go to my GP I think as I'm worried it could get infected, but the thought of having the stitch pulled out is horrible as I imagine it would be really painful. Has anyone else had something similar, and if so what did you do?

cardamomginger Fri 08-Jul-11 19:44:03

oh dear. you poor thing. i had surgery to remove a breast lump a couple of years ago and the same thing happened to me - ends of the internal stitches poked through the skin. i went back to the surgeon and he dealt with them by pulling the end through a bit more and then snipping it off. it was ok, but obviously the perineum is more sensitive. get the gp or whoever to use some instillagel - it's a local anaesthetic gel - and you will not feel a thing. i promise! i had adhesions from my tear broken manually using instillagel and i could not feel a thing. you are quite right to go and get it sorted - it could be a conduit for infection. good luck xx oh and don't go pulling it yourself! and keep everything as clean as you can.

cardamomginger Fri 08-Jul-11 19:44:38

the internal stitches did dissolve eventually, btw

Craftymoo Fri 08-Jul-11 20:32:44

Ouch! I would get it checked out. When I was stitched they used non- dissolvable stitches by mistake, luckily my GP was able to remove them. He had looked after me through my whole pregnancy so the blush factor was not too awful! Not comfy, but the relief I felt afterwards was worth it.. Oh and antibiotics afterwards to prevent infection. Hope everything is ok for you. X

breatheslowly Sun 10-Jul-11 17:22:44

I had a few stitches removed after about 6 weeks following a restitch. According to my gynae I am not very good at dissolving them - so clearly people vary. I don't know how she did it, but it didn't hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now