Talk

Advanced search

Advice for labour when suffering from SPD.

(13 Posts)
Yukana Thu 07-Jul-11 12:55:15

My physiotherapist has talked a little to me about positions during labour, but seeing as it was about 7 weeks ago I think I've forgotten most of them! Does anyone have any advice to give regarding what to do/what not to do during labour and possibly pain relief? smile

I'm 35+1 weeks, bump is huge and struggle with just about everything due to SPD; from walking and shifting position to bending down and turning over in bed.

thelittlefriend Thu 07-Jul-11 13:42:59

I had spd when I was pg and was really struggling by the end. I don't remember what advice I was given (except do not brace your legs against anything if you are laying on your back). I gave birth kneeling and I could feel the relief from the SPd as soon as my dd was born. I told my dp it had gone before I even got off the bed for a shower!

MooM00 Thu 07-Jul-11 14:13:00

My physio said kneel and kneel is what I did, leaning on the sofa. My spd improved as soon as labour started. Kneeling is good as no one can move your legs too far apart, I also found it a bit less 'exposed', but you can't have the baby delivered onto you in the way you can if you lie on your back.

Have you got some nice satin pyjamas to help you turn over in bed?

Yukana Thu 07-Jul-11 18:36:42

I don't know if I can kneel for a very long period of time, but I suppose the adrenaline will help give me the strength I need to keep myself up?

Leaning on something whilst giving birth would be fantastic, it's my first baby and I'll be giving birth in the hospital. I am hoping for a water birth (have heard it can be brilliant for those with SPD, too!) but if I'm denied it then I'll just have to wait until a planned home birth the second time round. smile

I actually don't have any satin nightwear! That is a good idea though, I shall bear it in mind.

Mercedes519 Thu 07-Jul-11 18:42:34

Have a section grin. solved all my SPD problems. But I do feel your pain.

I went into a consultants appointment at 37 weeks with a massive list of questions then found out she was still breech. TBH I was a bit relieved.

But, more relevantly my physio told me to measure my pain free gap, if you put your feet together when sat down how far apart can you get your knees without pain. Then write this ALL over your notes and tell every midwife that they should not move your legs beyond this point.

Why not go back and see the physio in a couple of weeks and talk to her again?

Yukana Thu 07-Jul-11 19:13:40

I'm actually terrified of having a caesarian. sad I'm trying to tell myself that the chances that I'll have one are slim (emergency caesarian, that is) considering I've had an uncomplicated pregnancy, but I'm hoping with everything I've got that my labour will be uncomplicated. I have an anxiety disorder so whatever happens I need to tell myself it'll be okay, that me and baby will get through it all just fine. Having a panic attack during labour is not on my wish list!

LO has been head down for a while now, so it's probable that she'll stay that way until she's born.

My physiotherapist is thankfully giving me a home visit next week, I think she'll be doing home visits from now on (bless her, she's lovely smile ) considering the state of the SPD at the moment. I'll ask her some more on labour, just wondered if any MNers felt something helped them with SPD or distracting them from the pain!

notcitrus Thu 07-Jul-11 19:42:13

I was using a wheelchair for the last couple months. For labour, I'd been told to get MrNC to measure how far I could part my knees at the start of labour, and make a loop of string that size to ensure no-one could try to push them further apart.
Said string got lost by the time I got admitted, but the staff were great. I found kneeling on a 2-level pyramidal beanbag was good, and the birthing pool even better - with g+a it was just about fun.

Sadly after 8 hours I had to get out of the pool and it became clear my SPD was suddenly even worse (incredibly rare, apparently) and the MW said 'You know how you didn't want an epidural unless really necessary? I think you ought to consider it.'

And eventually ds popped out. Did some pushing having been propped into a kneeling position with about a dozen pillows (two strong birth partners helped!)

On the plus side, being so stretchy meant I healed exceptionally quickly, so hopefully that will be the same for you.

My advice is if you're taking prescribed painkillers pre-labour, ensure staff are told that when you are admitted, and demand them after birth - being in agony from SPD when the epidural wore off and then being offered a paracetamol was Not Fun - nor was the next 24 hours of them failing to first get a prescription and then nurses deciding to only give me half my usual dose... I only got the rest when they asked how I was feeling post-birth and I told them my vagina and arse were just fine thanks - but my pelvis was killing me! Suddenly I was taken seriously!

Also try to get help post-birth, sign up for any postnatal physio/exercise classes your hospital have, and practice walking 30 min, 5 days a week - as my physio said, I'd not used any of those muscles for 5 months so would take time to build them up again. And get help - get people to come visit and help rock the baby etc for the next couple months.

wompoopigeon Thu 07-Jul-11 19:55:21

God, poor you, SPD sucks.
A good position for giving birth is on your knees, leaning against the back of the bed (which will have some helpful bars to cling onto).
Try to move around a little in early labour if you still can, and then try very hard not to get stuck like a beetle on your back. There will be a point in your labour after which you won't be changing position again, so be sure to find the position you want to birth in.
After SPD I found labour a breeze- at least I knew it was going to end- whereas SPD just went on and on and on...

Rosduk Fri 08-Jul-11 07:44:34

I had terrible SPD but didn't feel it at all once labour started. I spent most of the time like the others on my knees leaning over the bed. I kept as active as possible until then. The moment she was born the pain and SPD was gone and have had no problems since!

buttonmoon78 Fri 08-Jul-11 09:47:41

I agree totally with wompoo. I got stuck on my back after a VE at about 6cm with an OP labour and couldn't move. The pain was so great that they couldn't move me either.

This time I'm hoping for a mobile epi so that I can still move but without the anticipated OP pain. I'm aiming for kneeling (probably against the back of the bed) as this was recommended by the physio as top position.

Other than the OP stuff (and not being able to have an epi when requested) the staff were amazing. They knew all about my spd and the MWs were fiercely defensive of me when drs came in. Was nice to be looked after!

MooM00 Fri 08-Jul-11 10:20:08

Yukanana I hadn't knelt or been anywhere near the floor for about 5 months before I gave birth but the mw and dh helped me and it was fine. The other way of kneeling is to use the end of the hospital bed to lean on. I would have done that at home but I couldn't face the stairs. Do try satin pyjamas, they really help even if you can't turn over they make getting into bed easier. Bit sweaty though.

notcitrus Fri 08-Jul-11 16:48:04

Satin pyjamas - that's a good tip! Will be very pregnant during winter this time, and the SPD is starting already...

Dnomaid Fri 08-Jul-11 17:08:44

Very important to write in your birth plan that you have SPD and that should you need stirrups your legs MUST be moved together ie midwife and partner at same time. Also make sure your partner knows this and will advocate for you when you're too knackered to remember!
It's also a good idea to note it in case you are unlucky that it doesn't go straight away so midwives are aware you may need help walking/ picking up baby etc after the birth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now