Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a CS due to a fibroid?

(14 Posts)
9DonkeysAndABoy Thu 07-Jul-11 08:34:36

I am 31 weeks, and the consultant is considering a CS due to a fibroid possibly blocking the way out. He is not sure yet, so he'll scan me again at 34 weeks, and we'll decide then. I do not really have strong feelings towards either method of delivery, though am having slight guilt pangs that my LO is doing everything perfectly (he turned when he was meant to...) and I cannot provide him with a perfect environment! Ok, that's crazy I guess.

More importantly, has anyone had this and can share experiences (vaginal or CS). Did the fibroid cause any problems during birth, etc.?

Thank you!

vintageteacups Thu 07-Jul-11 19:04:24

You musn't put pressure upon yourself you do the whole natural birth thing if it's not possible.

Your consultant won't want to take a risk and he/she won't do a CS unless they consider it vital.

That said, if you do elect for a CS, at least in your head, you can mentally prepare. Don't forget, you could always go through labour trying for a natural birth and then end up with an EMCS anyway which could be potentially more traumatic as it's not anticipated IYSWIM?

I would look at the pros and cons of what the consultant is telling you and whatever happens, the safety of you and the baby is the most important thing.

9DonkeysAndABoy Thu 07-Jul-11 21:08:23

Thanks Vintage. I know, I am trying to relax, and I really do not know what it will be yet, so all I can do is wait till the next scan. But really, am I the only one pregnant with fibroids out there?

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 07-Jul-11 21:12:11

Hi OP.

I had multiple fibroids with both my pregnancies. Luckily, they were more toward the top of my uterus so I was able to have a VB both times. My fibroids did cause some issues during pregnancy but I can honestly say my births were unaffected. I did have a syntocin drip straight after (to reduce chance of PPH) but other than that, everything went as normal.

Any more questions, please just ask smile

9DonkeysAndABoy Thu 07-Jul-11 22:02:53

Hi Tilly, thanks for that. What is syntocin? I wonder if they administer it if it's a CS...

What issues did the fibroids cause in the pregnancy? Noone mentioned anything to me yet!

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 07-Jul-11 22:24:08

Hi. Syntocin helps your uterus to contract (its what they give you to induce labour). Sometimes, with fibroids, your uterus may not contract back after birth as quickly as one without fibroids would so they give syntocin to help it along.

In terms of problems, mine were mainly relating to ttc and getting a fertilised egg to implant. I had numerous (probably about 8) early miscarriages because the egg tried to implant on part of my uterus that had a fibroid on and it just couldn't embed properly. I then had 2 mc's at around 9 weeks because, whilst the egg managed to implant, it was right next to a fibroid and couldn't grow properly.

With my first successful pregnancy, one of my fibroids degenerated when I was about 22 weeks. The pain was excrutiating sad. I also bled throughout both of my pregnancies and I was ENORMOUS !

On the plus side, I remember the consultant telling me at 12 weeks that he would be "amazed" if I went full term and to gear up for a small, premature baby. I was petrified throughout the pregnancy (particularly after all the miscarriages and the continuous bleeding) but in the end, dd popped out one day before her due date and weighed 9lb 12oz smile. Second pregnancy was much less scary and DS was on time and 10lb 5oz. I never did get to use all the preemie baby clothes my Grandma knitted for us smile

For the record, I have a lot of fibroids. My biggest was 12cm in diameter. I had another at around 10cm and one around 8 cm and then another 5 or 6 smaller ones.

At 31 weeks, I would think you are past the risky stages. Degeneration, for example, is more common around 20-25 weeks. Obviously, if the fibroid is blocking the exit route, then a CS will be necessary but at least you will be prepared smile

Fibroids are really common. I think its 1 in 4 women over 35 have them (and about 1 in 6 over 30 ?). There are lots of different types and the individual type, position in the uterus and size can all influence things (which I think is why consultants don't tend to say much - I think I just had a particularly pessimistic honest one !). Many women have them and have totally trouble free pregnancies and births.

Good luck and shout if you need any more help

glitterkitty Thu 07-Jul-11 22:39:27

Hi, I has CS due to fibroid blocking the way out. Mine grew in pregnancy to about size of a grapefruit. Its still that big now!

My consultant was keen for me to try and give birth naturally (as CS with fibroids can cause a big bleed) and I did my best- had epidural and did get fully dilated- but DS was big & backwards so no joy. I had to have emergency CS in the end.

I had to wait a few hours for the CS as I needed consultant to perform- its a more tricky operation if you have fibroids as there are lots of big blood vessels that feed the fibroid. In retrospect I might book in for an elective as less waiting around and the consultant is prepared & ready. But I understood why they wanted me to try for a natural delivery.

I did have a heavy bleed during delivery - and it was a bit scary. I had 2 transfusions straight after and felt MUCH better! DS was totally fine though. Hope this helps, ask me if you have any more questions.

idlevice Fri 08-Jul-11 06:05:40

In my first preg I was told I would need a vertical incision CS for delivery at 12wks pregnancy as one fibroid was near the cervix & would block vaginal delivery. However, later on, can't remember exactly when, but after 31wks, a better doctor said that the lower segment of the uterus grows so much in the later stages of pregnancy that there was every chance of things moving around. The crucial thing as to whether there was a chance of vaginal delivery was not only if babe was head down but the shoulder was past the lowest fibroid. This did turn out to be the case with me as verified by a late scan & as I was ok with trying vaginally the consultant agreed with the proviso a CS would be offered if the labour appeared not to be going well (as normal really). It was also stipulated that cross-matched blood would be on hand in case of a bleed.

I did deliver vaginally but the labour wasn't great & I actually think I should have been offered a CS, altho I am pleased I experienced a VB. Babe was posterior - which may have been cos he didn't have as much room with the fibroids there but some babies are posterior anyway. One of the effects of fibroids is that they can make the contractions not as efficient cos there is a blob of useless tissue in the way of the muscles. That may well have been the case with me as altho I started labour spontaneously it was stop-start for 48hrs then I had to be augmented with syntocinon to speed things up. This can happend in "routine" births also tho. I had a retained placenta after the birth - again not necessarily directly fibroid-related, & had to have it removed in theatre & ended up with a PPH of half my blood - pretty ironic after managing a VB & baby all fine!

So there are loads of things the fibroids can interfere with, but all those things & more can happen in other births too. One thing to bear in mind is that one CS will increase chances of having a second CS later & if you ever have surgery for fibroid removal that will also involve cutting into the uterus. Any cuts potentially can give rise to scar tissue & related problems. Hope you have a good delivery whatever way it happens!

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 08-Jul-11 09:39:26

idlevile - both of my babies were posterior as well

9DonkeysAndABoy Fri 08-Jul-11 19:35:08

Thank you, ladies, that is very informative! Although it does not all sound as ‘benign’ as it was presented to me. But then, I do understand that fibroids are all different. Mine is around 8 cm, so probably similar to Glitter, and there is only one. I think it is in the wall of the uterus. I have seen tonns of consultants, because we went for fertility investigations as well, and none of them said it was an issue – also with conception. Maybe because it was only about 2 cm at the time. They also said then (before conception) that there is no reason to remove it. Although now that I think about it, we’ve been lucky with where LO decided to implant smile. But you are right, no one likes to say much about them, probably because they are all so different. But then, my 30 week scan was called ‘growth scan’, so I suppose they were worried about the fibroid impending the growth. Although the problem turned out to be position rather than growth...

tilly, sorry to hear about the pain that you had to endure, but congratulations on your lovely DCs! You are right, the consultant did mention that shrinking of the womb may be a problem

Glitter, what does ‘backwards’ mean? Breach? Also, what does ‘posterior’ mean? Can you tell this is my first time grin? My LO’s head is currently down, actually in line with the fibroid, which is why the consultant thinks it may go past it.

idlevice Glad you told me about the increased growth of the uterus though, it may just be the case that the shoulder goes past. Although I am not wise what is better in terms of a fibroid delivery. It sounds like VB is less risky (bleading, etc), especially if the baby is in the right position, which at the moment he seems to be, but then there is more to go wrong. I just wonder, because I could probably push for one or the other, being a private patient.

Glitter, what do you mean you had to wait for a consultant? Wouldn’t a consultant do any CS? I am sorry to hear about your bleeding. Was it during CS or while you were trying for VB? Half your blood?? That sounds horrible, so glad you are ok.

Sorry, I was writing this in a rush, but am very grateful to hear everyone's experiences.

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 08-Jul-11 20:10:12

Hi OP. Posterior/Backwards or the 'occiput posterior' (OP) position means the baby is still head down, but facing your tummy. Mothers of babies in the 'posterior' position are more likely to have long and painful labours as the baby usually has to turn all the way round to facing the back in order to be born

Just remember, your thread title asks for people who've had to have a CS due to a fibroid so there are probably 100's of posters on MN who have one and have had totally staightforward pregnancies and VB's, so they haven't clicked on your thread and posted. You're probably getting some of the "worst case scenarios" on here. Try not to panic (realise that is easier said than done !)

FWIW, I read some fantastic info on MN about naturally reducing fibroid size (by drinking wheatgrass/barleygrass juice). I didn't see it until after I'd had DD. I started taking it before ttc again and second time round, I became pg within 2 months (no mc's, no 2 years plus of ttc), my fibroids had shrunk considerably and I had a much less "eventful" pregnancy. It may of course all be coincidence but I'd definitely recommend it to any fellow fibroid sufferers (when not already pg unfortunately...)

9DonkeysAndABoy Fri 08-Jul-11 20:54:33

Tilly thanks, that is very useful info. And a very good point about my original post! I'll remember that.

Off to look for wheatgrass advice...

glitterkitty Sat 09-Jul-11 11:18:12

Hi Donkeys, most CS are straightforward. Mine was going to be difficult (firbroid position- lots of blood vessels feeding fibriod etc) so I had to wait for senior surgeon consultant person to come to hospital to perform it.

If I'd booked CS I would have had her on the spot and ready. As it worked out I had to lay on my side from 3am (fully dilated ready to give birth) until 8am (had op). DS was facing backwards not forwards, back to back I think its called? And he couldnt get past my giant fibroid!

The bleeding happened during CS- thats why they wanted me to try for VB. You will bleed a lot if you have a CS and you have fibroids so most hospitals will try & avoid it if at all possible.

I hope all goes well for you.

glitterkitty Sat 09-Jul-11 11:19:47

And me and DS were fine, by the way! Most fibroids cause no problems as Tilly says smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now