Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
I had DD1 by ELCS as she was breech. Does anyone know if I'll be made to have a VBAC if I have another baby?
Also, I was told by a friend that due to the risk of scar rupture (and gov cuts) I'd be made to have a VBAC with an epidural, so prob end up with ventouse or forceps. This really frightens me.
Can anyone let me know?
I had an emcs in 2006, a vbac (no epidural, just gas & air) in 2008 and another vbac (again just gas & air) in 2010 ........ recovery is generally so much quicker/easier with a vbac than a cs. Your choice on the epidural, you know your pain thresholds !!! Good luck.
You will probably have a choice (I did).
I have had 2 emergency c sections,my 2nd baby was an attempted vbac.
There are millions of threads on here about vbac so have a look around.
Thanks both. I had a good CS recovery, is a vbac really easier in recovery? All those in my nct group who had vaginal births had real problems, from 3rd degree tears to ending up with babies in scbu after botched deliveries. Also can you have an active birth with a vbac? Worried about the idea of being stuck on a bed under close direction of medical staff - especially as some seemed to have no clue which way was up with DD1 (although others were just fantabulous).
I had an ELCS with DD1 as she was breech and have just had a VBAC with DD2!
I have read that a VBAC is more likely to be successful if you have an epidural once in established labour (I think in the VBAC Handbook) but I didn't have one. Whilst in labour I was regretting my decision to try for a VBAC cos it hurt so much! But after the event I am so pleased that I managed it and can't remember how the pain felt.
They can't make you have an epidural if that's not what you want but I'd be surprised if they didn't give you the option of a c-section. The drs I saw prior to VBAC were much keener on me having a c-section and were gently pushing me towards that option and highlighting risks of scar rupture.
In terms of an active birth, DD2 was continually monitored once in established labour but I could stand by the bed and be on hands and knees etc. Water birth was out, and I couldn't pace the corridors, but by that point I didn't want to anyway. I could be active enough to keep labour going, which is the main thing I think.
I was very lucky to only have a tiny tear and so much prefer the recovery to a CS - no real recovery to speak of tbh. I can't really comment on recovery from a worse tear.
I had an emergency cs with my first, then a vbac with my 2nd. It all happened too fast to have an epidural, I only got 2 puffs of G&A before he was delivered! No time for monitoring or anything. OMG though the difference afterwards was amazing. I just could not believe how good I felt so quickly compared to after the cs.
I wasn't really given the option of having another cs tbh. I don't know if I could have pushed for it though.
The MW this time mentioned something about having an epidural but I don't plan to have one unless I want to. If it's as fast or faster than last time it won't be an option anyway!
your friend is misinformed
epidurals are not recommended with VBACs as they can mask the symptoms of scar rupture.
you may want to read the NICE guidelines for yourself but last time I looked, VBAC was encouraged but ultimately it was the woman's decision
I had DC3 by VBA2C last May, no intervention, and it was brilliant.
Sorry you are having a rough time Raven. I too hated my second (elective-ish at term +7) and have adhesions from it. The pain does pass. It's such a hard decision to make.
HIya, I had DD1 as an emergency CS due to an undiagnosed breech. DD2 was born 19 months after DD1.
The hospital tried to convince me to have another CS stating risk of rupture etc (I questioned them and they admitted there had only been 2 in the last 10 years at the hospital, and one of those they hadn't even spotted until they gave her a crash cs...) They insisted I was continually monitored (had a portableish one though so could move)
I had DD2 by VBAC with gas and air and the recovery difference was amazing. With DD1 I was not walking for 24 hours, in hospital for 4 days and then struggled roun d the house for weeks. With DD2 born on saturday night, I came home sunday and was in tescos on monday. dealing with DD1 was much easier as well as I could cuddle/carry her when she needed it which I couldn't have done after a CS.
Aargh just lost all my typing. I think most hospitals now are really pushing VBAC partly as it's safer and partly for cost reasons. I had a VBAC six weeks ago, which is what I really wanted luckily as my hospital would not have allowed a repeat CS. They did want me to have continous monitoring and a cannula, I refused and instead the midwife held the monitor on me intermittently, and I didn't have a cannula. The labour was painful obviously but it was manageable with TENS and gas and air, admittedly I did ask for an epidural and a repeat CS but by that time I was almost 10cm and it was far too late!
Unfortunately I ended up with a third degree tear so had to have a spinal block and be repaired in theatre, which was pretty horrible. Having said that, I'm still glad I chose VBAC as my recovery has been quicker than it was after my ELCS (breech) with DD1, and thankfully I don't seem to have lasting problems from the tear at least in terms of continence although it does still hurt a bit but it's early days. I also know that mentally I would have regretted not giving birth naturally if I had chosen ELCS (if that had been an option) but that's a personal thing and only you will know how you feel. If my tear had left me with continence problems I am sure I would wish I'd had a CS, there's no "right" answer really.
Thank you all so much for your advice. I feel much less worried now. Sorry to hear things are not going well Raven, hope you make a full recovery soon. Thanks so much.
I'm watching this thread with interest as I had an EMCS with my twins four years ago. I'm now pregnant with DC3 and I really think it's down to hospital policy as to what you get 'encouraged' to do. The consultants at my hospital have really been pushing a VBAC. Like, REALLY pushing it, in that they've told me they won't perform a CS unless there's a medical reason (e.g. breech). They've really downplayed the risks of a VBAC, but I think that they would have given me a CS if I'd have stamped my foot and done my nut.
They have, however, told me that I couldn't have ventouse or forceps or be induced as this could lead to the scar rupturing. I think they also discourage epidurals because one of the ways they tell if the scar is about to rupture is with you experiencing pain, even when not having a contraction.
Hope this helps!
Just to add my two cents worth, I had a home vbac last month, recovery so much better than from the emcs and the whole experience was infinitely better- it was less painful than the first time round altho I only had tens and water this time whereas the first time I had an epidural. I was scared and thought about an elcs but am really glad I didn't. Oh, and no one can make you do anything altho they can refuse to do things- you cannot be made to have an epidural or Continuous monitoring. Lots of people have said to me that they didn't know people were 'allowed' to have a home vbac, but again it is your decision whether to go to hospital.
Hi chocolatecrispies, pleased it went well for you, I thought you needed an independant midwife for a home vbac?
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.