Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

placental abruption

(17 Posts)
amandabear Wed 06-Jul-11 21:35:14

Hi, i lost my baby nearly 7 weeks ago , 21 weeks into my pregnancy. I saw my midwife today , after talking through everything that happened during my pregnancy ( i had bleeding from 18 weeks) she said it was likely i had had an abruption and that baby had seemed healthy and growing normally. I would just like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience and has anyone had a healthy baby after suffering an abruption in a previous pregnancy?. I have a 2 year old son who was born after a completely normal pregnancy and birth.

Milngavie Wed 06-Jul-11 21:43:59

Iam so sorry to read of the loss of your baby sad.

I suffered an abruption at around the same point in my 4th pg. The bleeding was something else and utterly terrifying. I went to hospital and was scanned and they could see where the placenta was coming away. I was warned what the outcome would probably be and the risk my own health was now at. The bleeding continued on and off for a month. But I was lucky and the pg made it to term. It was hard and I was away from home for a month in hospital before he was born.

Abruption is truly awful. I can not begin to imagine what you are going through. I have never met anyone else who has had an abruption and had to respond to you.

My thoughts are with you.

mamasmissionimpossible Wed 06-Jul-11 21:49:45

I am sorry for your loss. sad

I had a placental abruption at 35 weeks. Fortunately, my dd and myself made it, but it was touch and go at times. I lost 2 litres of blood. I am pg again and feel very nervous about having a repeat of my last labour. I am hoping they will monitor me closely.

lollystix Wed 06-Jul-11 21:52:56

Amandabear - so so sorry. I've only heard it once - a guy in my team's wife lost her second at 8 months. It was truly awful. I don't know her personally so don't have much detail but I know 2 years later she had a healthy third baby so it obviously can work out well for future pregnancies. I should imagine she was closely watched but don't know any details.

amandabear Thu 07-Jul-11 17:59:55

Thanks everyone for your replies. So far iv not known anyone who has had an abruption at around the 20 week mark. Before this happened i only thought it happened in very late pregnancy and was extremely rare, but unfortunatley its not as rare as i thought :0(. I lost blood but i think my placenta just wasnt attached properly at all from the start , im just so sad today.

CombineArvester Thu 07-Jul-11 18:03:08

Amanda I had a partial abruption following PROM at 18ish weeks. It was probably due to a blood clotting disorder. Please ask to be tested for clotting disorders. I had a normal birth before too. It may be as simple to treat as taking aspirin in your next pg.

Just ask they can only say no.

So sorry to hear of your loss.

working2gally Thu 07-Jul-11 19:31:01

Amanda I'm so sorry for your loss. I had an abruption when I was on delivery suite being induced. Resulted in a crash c-section and luckily my dc was fine. I think (though not confirmed by docs) that it may have been something to do with a large amt of fluid I had - have read this can be a risk factor.

stupefy Thu 07-Jul-11 19:36:27

Sorry for your loss sad

I had an abruption at 27 weeks after pprom at 22. I was in hospital at the time and had an emcs immediately. Ds is fine.

My consultant tested me for clotting disorders as I have had miscarriages too but i don't know the results.

serendipity16 Sat 09-Jul-11 17:18:41

Hi Amandabear - I'm so sorry for your loss sad

I had a concealed abruption at 35wks & lost my baby.
I had no pain or bleeding, nothing that indicated something was wrong sad

With my next pregnant i was induced at just over 37wks & whilst being induced i had another abruption. Thankfully i had a massive bleed which made me/the midwives know something was very wrong. I was rushed for an emergency c-section. Thankfully they managed to save my daughter but i was in theatre for 6 hours & in hdu for 4 days & needed 11 units of blood.

Because of the 2 abruptions being the most severe kind, not partical i have had to have the rest of my children at 34wks by planned c-section.

After the 2 abruptions with my 2 girls, i've had 3 more boys all born at 33+4, 33+4 & 34wks.

Was you given a 6wk appointment to see your consultant?
I had one after i lost my daughter to talk through everything & also what would happen when i got pregnant next time.
Obviously after the 2nd abruptions the plans changed again & i was told i was very high risk...... was given stats of 45% chance of having another abruption by a well known top consultant.
I don't remember what they said the stats were after having 1.

Having 2 abruptions is pretty rare, i was just very unlucky.
It won't stop you worrying like mad with the next pregnancy.
I love pregnancy but on the other hand everyday i worry about the baby because of the abruptions + my sister has also had a stillborn baby.

amandabear Sat 09-Jul-11 20:14:08

Hi Serendipity, im so sorry for the baby you lost. I know i am supposed to have a follow up appointment with a consultant but havnt heard anything as yet, its been 7 weeks now . My midwife who i saw on tuesday said she is going to chase up this appt for me. Although she said its very likely i had an abruption , its not been confirmed. I was first of all thinking it was definitley an abruption but iv not heard of anyone having one around 21 weeks like me. My midwife said she thinks my placenta was not properly attached from the start and that was what all the bleeding i had was. Its just so hard to make any sense of, all i know is that my baby was doing so well and there never seemed any problems with baby which makes me very sad. :0(

amandabear Sun 23-Oct-11 21:42:14

Just thought i would update my message. I have finally had my follow up appt at the hospital , my bloods all came back normal, no abnomalitys with my baby but placenta showed signs of a bleed and infection which eventually caused my body to go into early labour. Ive been told i was very unlucky and it was just one of those things and that i am at no more risk of it happening again than any other pregnant person. it was very upsetting but at least i know now. On a happier note im now pregnant again, nearly 13 weeks, its a tough pregnancy so far just with the worry and fear really but trying hard to stay positive. :0) x

PANCHEY Sun 23-Oct-11 22:12:09

I hope that you have a positive outcome this time, I feel for you going through all of this.x

MummyMellie Mon 24-Oct-11 07:25:22

Hi Amanda,
I had an abruption at about 26 weeks with DS, fortunately I managed to hang on to him for a bit longer and he was born early but fine. I had had bleeding throughout the pregnancy and was in terrible pain after the initial abruption.
I then went on to have DD without any problems at all - although I did have spotting throughout which worried me a bit, and I am now 38wks with DC three - again, no probs at all.
I really, really feel for you, you must be so worried - make sure you are getting all the support and help you feel you need, both with the physical and the psychological aspects of your pregnancy. Will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing your updates and that you are breezing through this one! xx

amandabear Mon 24-Oct-11 11:48:00

Thankyou Panchey and Mummymellie for your messages. Mummymellie how did you get through your pregnancys after the abruption you had? im so glad your little boy was born ok , bleeding and abruption in pregnancy is awful!.Im very up and down with this pregnancy and soo emotional, do you think this is normal?. All the best with your current pregnancy, not long to go now for you :0) x

domestictechnician Mon 24-Oct-11 14:38:36

I'm in hospital right now at 23 weeks with suspected partial abruption, 3rd time in hospital since 18 weeks. Absolutely terrifying, my fourth son is wriggling around like crazy but I feel my body may fail him- desperate to get to a realistically viable age and at least there would be a chance- I haven't actually stopped bleeding for 5 weeks. Losing faith in everything. So sorry for your devastating loss amandabear.

MummyMellie Mon 24-Oct-11 22:34:31

Hi Amanda,
My first pregnancy afterwards I was under a really good team and they saw me all the time - I had loads of scans which I found very reassuring as I could actually SEE that everything was ok. I was still pretty paranoid and was constantly wondering if all was ok, especially as after DC1 I actually lost two little ones (luckily pretty early on, at 9 weeks, but was still very sad) before carrying DC2 successfully.
Throughout DC2's pregnancy I did have some spotting which terrified me, but all was absolutely fine.
With this one there hasn't been one single issue - everything has been totally normal as I guess most people's pregnancies are - I can't believe the difference!! I really hope that your pregnancy is going to be like this one - that you'll have a real little stayer who will just hunker down in there until the time is right - I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you, and thinking that you have every right to be feeling pretty emotional right now. Just take each day as it comes, one at a time and you'll be there before you know it.
Hang on in there domestictechnician - you are so nearly there and are in the best place possible!
xx

amandabear Tue 25-Oct-11 19:11:48

Thankyou MummyMellie for your message , Im having extra scans this time and this pregnancy is totally different from the last one, it feels right, and last time i dont know why but the pregnancy just didnt feel right. Domestictechnician, im so sorry you are going through this. I know exactly how you must be feeling, it is terrifying!. Im hoping and praying your little one holds on , you are in the best place. What happened to me is not that common and i know that a partial abruption will not necessarily lead to a full abruption , please dont lose hope , he sounds like a little fighter.xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now