Talk

Advanced search

pain relief for stitches?

(11 Posts)
lostmybounce Tue 05-Jul-11 09:27:05

Can anyone advise what pain relief is available for getting the stitches following natural childbirth? probably sounds like a contradiction but I had 2 very fast deliveries, grazes with first and 2 stitches with the second. I honestly would rather give birth ten times than have those stitches again. They took 40 minutes and I thought it would never end. The gas and air made me disorientated and very sick. I felt very tug and every move the midwife made. Bit anxious now that my third is on the way. I seem to remember great relief from a painkiller suppository but that was given afterwards. Can anyone tell me their experience?

Secondtimelucky Tue 05-Jul-11 11:40:31

I had gas and air whilst the midwife gave me a couple of injections of local anesthetic. Once that worked, I couldn't really feel anything, though had a quick puff on the gas and air as well at one point I think.

I had quite a few stitches though, so maybe that was what made the difference in how they chose to handle it.

I love gas and air and the only downside of my lovely homebirth is that I didn't get to use the gas and air during labour (DD2 was too quick).

lostintransition Tue 05-Jul-11 17:22:02

Sounds awful! 40 minutes for 2 stitches? Did they not use local anaesthetic?

lostmybounce Tue 05-Jul-11 20:25:34

I don't honestly remember what they gave me, need to get clued up for this time round. It does seem too long for 2 stitches

PrincessScrumpy Tue 05-Jul-11 22:34:31

40 minutes for 2 stitches!?! It took that long for my 32 stitches. Can't remember much re pain relief (I think I've blocked it out). Arnica is a good idea and start taking it beforehand (strong ones - surgery strength).

squiggleywiggler Tue 05-Jul-11 22:42:31

You should be given local anaesthetic as well as gas and air. If you can still feel things after the local, let the MW know and she will give you more. There's no need to suffer here - insist on enough pain relief. It is your right!

nomoreheels Wed 06-Jul-11 09:52:36

I too had a terrible time with stitches after I had DD 6 weeks ago (first baby). I had around 10 stitches for second degree tears & it took an hour or so. The local anaesthetic injections were very painful & ineffective - the doctor kept hitting spots where it hadn't taken & I would scream. In fact my DP said he nearly lost it with the hospital at this point as he felt I should not be in any pain after a short but difficult labour. I'd had DD in 5 & 3/4 hours & had pre eclampsia and PPH, then was nearly taken to theatre when my placenta wouldn't deliver.

I don't know why they can't give you a mini epidural or something that would numb the whole region. Like you OP I wouldn't want to go through that again!

Tangle Wed 06-Jul-11 10:20:49

I needed stitches after DD1. They gave me G&A while working out what they were going to do. When they came to do the stitches they gave me the G&A back and told me I should definitely use it while they put in the local anaesthetic - lignocaine, IIRC - and after that I could keep going if I wanted. My recollection is that the LA dulled/removed the pain but not the sensation - I was still aware of the pushing/tugging as the stitching was done but it didn't hurt.

Have you been through the notes from your previous births? They should have recorded how long the stitching took, how many stitches they did and what pain relief you were given for the procedure. It would give you a starting point for discussing what you'd like to happen in light of your previous experience, should you need stitches again.

I think they'd be reluctant to give a spinal anaesthetic for stitches (certainly for 1st/2nd degree tears) due to the risks involved in sticking a needle in your spine. That's not to say there are no circumstances where the benefits would outweigh those risks - but please don't think the hospital staff are just being sadistic by not using spinal anaesthisia for all stitches.

owlbooty Wed 06-Jul-11 12:32:46

Lidocaine or other local plus gas and air if wanted. That's what the MW told me yesterday when I asked. And she said if it's painful you tell them to stop immediately - as others have said, this is not the dark ages, having stitches that you can feel going in should NOT be happening.

Hormoneoverload Wed 06-Jul-11 19:18:15

Gas and air and a shot of local anaesthetic. The local anaesthetic not pleasant but not dreadful when accompanied by gas and air. Distracted by baby I think.

lostmybounce Wed 06-Jul-11 23:31:28

Thanks so much everyone, will go in better armed this time. Will ask mvs to check notes, good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now