Talk

Advanced search

the NICE guidelines for Csection that were issued for consultation in May

(8 Posts)
redundant Mon 04-Jul-11 14:53:25

hello, just wondered if anyone knew what the situation re these guidelines - ie have they been approved/passed or are they likely to be??

I have a consult appt on Thurs and would like to refer to the part where it talks about mothers should be offered an elective if after support they still want one. But am aware it carries less weight if these are only suggested guidelines still.

thank you.

squiggleywiggler Mon 04-Jul-11 15:49:07

The consultation process is ongoing and I believe they'll be aiming to publish in November 2011. So they are currently suggested rather than definitive.

redundant Mon 04-Jul-11 15:55:04

ok, thanks. Am going to work on the basis that its what NICE is currently recommending...

redundant Mon 04-Jul-11 15:56:05

that reads wrong - its what NICE is putting forward as its current recommendation. Urgh, wish they could publish the final version tomorrow!

buttonmoon78 Mon 04-Jul-11 17:15:21

They are still in draft form but if they've got to the stage of public publication then I'd say that the consultant will have to give them some weight...

Good luck. Why do you want a section so much? (if that's not too personal and not likely to lead to a flaming from others wink)

redundant Mon 04-Jul-11 18:45:47

hello - no problem asking!

Had a section for breech last time (first dd), this is most definitely my last child, and am just much more comfortable with the risks that go with a c section compared to the risks of vbac. Particularly because last time i didn't even experience so much as one contraction, so how my body deals with childbirth is a complete unknown.

Am also an older mum, and looking at my personal situation, i think the odds of me successfully vbac'ing are much less than the 3 out of 4 quoted as stats.

Plus I am the sort of person that is risk averse and likes to be in control - an elcs just sits better with me mentally!

buttonmoon78 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:17:17

Thank you for answering my nosiness! I've nearly ended up with a section 3 times now!

I think that if you've already had one section then the chances are greater that you'll get them to agree to another much more readily. I think they'll make you jump through the hoops in terms of offering you a vbac but if you feel safer with a section then stick to your guns and go for it.

verybusybear Mon 04-Jul-11 20:54:36

Best of luck for Thursday. Let us know how you get on. I've got my consultant meeting in three weeks.

Your use of the term 'risk averse' made me smile as that is the exact same phrase I've been using to explain to friends / family why I want to have an ELCS this time (having had an EMCS last time for failure to progress). I also don't intend on having any more children as long as this one gets out safely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now