Talk

Advanced search

Advice re previous episiotomy scar?

(16 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 04-Jul-11 13:22:53

Gave birth to DD April 2008 and am due DC2 in October this year.

With DD I had to have an episiotomy and ventouse delivery. I think my stitches healed ok and i had no trouble with them apart from the soreness for a couple of weeks after, as expected.

Just a little bit worried about labour this time. Are episiotomy scars prone to tearing? I'm a bit concerned that with the stretching that will occur that it will rip it.

I'm seeing my midwife Friday for my 28weeks appointment so will mention it then but if anyone has any advice or experience, it would be much appreciated smile

MooM00 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:26:44

I thought that when I had dc2 but when I asked the mw she said it wouldn't unzip as I expected, and it didn't. No stitches with dc2 or 3.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 04-Jul-11 13:27:54

Oh thats reassuring smile Thanks Moo.

Did you do that perineal massage thing? Not sure I like the idea of rubbing olive oil into my fanjo. It is supposed to make a difference but I'm not sure.

MooM00 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:59:19

No I did nothing and had a very fast 2nd stage and still didn't need stitches.

sillysow Mon 04-Jul-11 18:19:04

Hi, I had an epi with DC1 in 2010, I did tear with DC2 in 2011, but in a different place - so in my case the epi scar held up fine. HTH, good luck

missingmyflatbelly Mon 04-Jul-11 22:07:27

I had loads of Problems with my epi with ds so I know a little about this subject and from what I know scar tissue is actualy much stronger than normal tissue so you are unlikely to tear along the epi if you do tear. In fact my gynae said that labour is the perfect thing to sort out the thickness of the scar tissue because it pits pressure on it. But it's stronger not weaker than surrounding tissue so no

Secondtimelucky Tue 05-Jul-11 07:28:33

That's interesting, I tore along the scar tissue and my midwife told me that that's normally where you tear if you do.

DD shot out like a speeding bullet though, so I think a tear was pretty likely. If I'd been able to go slower there may not have been a problem.

It was only three weeks ago but the good news is that the tear is healing much better than the epi did. The midwife said that this is because a jagged edge finds it much easier to knit together than a straight cut.

Awre Tue 05-Jul-11 14:28:22

My Midwife told me the same as 'Secondtimelucky' - that I would tear along the scar - and that is what happened - but it was all fine - I had a couple of stitches but it healed up really quickly.

missingmyflatbelly Tue 05-Jul-11 23:13:20

second thats right tears heal better than episiotomies because of the nature of the injury.

awre am surprised your mw said that as i heard very differently from all the health care practitioners i saw, but maybe there's different opinions on this one. glad you're all well now smile

buttonmoon78 Wed 06-Jul-11 13:25:02

I've had two epis and then a tear with dc3 in a different place.

Writing that makes me feel as if I must look like Frankenstein's monster down there grin

Though I must say there was no discernible difference in healing time re epi vs tear. But I am generally a pretty quick healer so maybe that's why.

Cattleprod Wed 06-Jul-11 13:31:53

Just marking my place - Coconuts we're the same right down to the April 08 birth and Oct due date!!

If they need to do another episiotomy this time, do they cut the same place? I don't really fancy having a scar both sides!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 06-Jul-11 15:26:56

Cattleprod - Good question. I'd like to know that too. And how freaky we're so similar!!

buttonmoon78 Wed 06-Jul-11 17:24:53

Mine was the same place. I can't answer for everybody though!

missingmyflatbelly Wed 06-Jul-11 20:37:43

From what I understand if the cut you to the side I think it's called medio lateral they'll do it to the right and never to the left. And if they cut you in a straight line well there's only one way to do a straight line! So basically they could you in a different way but it would only be a straight line or to the right. The medio lateral way to the right is supposed to avoid damage to the rectum. There may be other cuts medics use I'm not a medic myself but these two are the most common I believe

Hth

Glitterybits Wed 06-Jul-11 21:37:24

Coconuts this is very weird. I was just thinking about scar tissue opening up myself! I didn't have an episiotomy, but must confess that I've started to think of a whole list of things that can/ may go wrong now that I only have 3 weeks to go. Eeeek! Let's hope they stitched us up well! I can't bring myself to do the massage thing either. Makes me feel a bit squeamish!

lovemysleep Wed 06-Jul-11 21:57:20

Massaging the perineum with your second birth doesn't help apparently - can't remember where I read that recently, but it stuck in my head....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now