Talk

Advanced search

Epidural first time round, no epidural second time round?

(15 Posts)
Bumpsadaisie Mon 04-Jul-11 12:32:45

Just wondered if anyone who's got 2+ DCs who had an epidural with their first managed without an epidural with their second?

No.2 expected in Oct and would really like to use the local midwife led unit - very quiet, pools, great facilities for DHs etc.

The only issue is that if I did feel I needed an epidural I would then have to blue light it 20 mins to the Delivery unit of the nearest city.

My first was induced (forceps, episiotomy - fine, but intense) so had an epi with her as that drip was merciless.

But just assuming I avoid induction this time, is it possible to manage without an epidural second time round?

I've sort of got this nagging idea that because I needed one last time I will need one this time!

Any experiences/thoughts welcomed!

Thanks for reading
Bumps x

motherinferior Mon 04-Jul-11 12:34:02

My very first post on MN was about this grin

I had a nightmare first birth, complete with epi that only partly worked and stop-start labour culminating in appalling ventouse.

Second birth- no epi, home birth in water.

Bumpsadaisie Mon 04-Jul-11 12:36:35

Thanks - your first birth sounds a bit like mine ! (My epi only partially worked so was topped up and then couldn't move or feel anything. However it wasn't a bad experience overall as the midwives were so great).

So I might get my waterbirth then ... The pool at this unit is lovely - vast, and there is a sofa and a TV in the room and a separate bed for DH and they only ever have one or two women at a time (we are in Cumbria). So I felt really keen on it, it was just the lack of epidural issue!

Debs75 Mon 04-Jul-11 12:42:59

I managed it.
I had pethadine, which made me sick then an epi with DC1. I tried G&A but couldn't cope with the mask.
3 years later with dc2 I had a tens and G&A, it was a pipe so easier to use. The labour was easier as I could feel my contractions and I had more focus. With dc1 I didn't feel the contractions at all so didn't know when to push.
I actually feel I coped better without the epi as I had more control and movement. Really wish I could of had the water birth as well but the pool had just been used and turnaround time was very long.

motherinferior Mon 04-Jul-11 12:44:34

I wrote a feature for one of the baby mags on how much easier second births usually are - pm me if you want it!

Bumpsadaisie Mon 04-Jul-11 12:58:28

M.I. - have pm'd you!

Debs, that sounds very encouraging - thanks! Last I got to a few centimetres before the drip, walking round, and I felt quite good and tigress like. It was only when they put the drip in that suddenly I felt I couldn't cope. I really needed to be walking about I think.

lachesis Mon 04-Jul-11 13:02:24

Epi for first one. Dire labour of 24 hours. Back to front baby with hand up cupping her head above teh ear. Forceps delivery.

Second one, 4 hour labour start to finish, arrived at hospital fully dilated except for a lip of cervix which the midwife moved and baby arrived 19 minutes after arrival with no pain relief and only a graze.

Firawla Mon 04-Jul-11 19:58:33

If you avoided induction with your 2nd one i think you will probably find it a lot easier and manage without the epi if that's what you want.
I was the same as you, induced with my 1st and had to have epidural, forceps etc, it was quite a difficult birth, so due to that I always had the feeling in the back of my mind that I won't be able to cope without an epidural however my 2nd one was so much easier and a lot different, i went into labour naturally without induction and obviously it did still hurt but much much more manageable and copeable, so was fine with just the gas & air, and as you say being able to be active rather than hooked up to a drip in bed makes a huge difference imo. I think you should go for it, and hopefully it will go well

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 04-Jul-11 20:02:20

I had an epidural with DS. Labour lasted for 18 hours, and I insisted on an epidural as I needed a drip as was progressing so slowly. It kinked, and ended up only working on one side. I pushed forever.

Did not have one with DD, but then labour was only 4 hours start to finish, and only 40 mins of that in hospital. It was manageable with G&A. I hardly pushed grin

Secondtimelucky Mon 04-Jul-11 20:23:51

I had an epidural with my DD1. After going into labour naturally, I didn't get past 3cm. I ended up with syntocinon, epidural and episiotomy.

DD2 was a home water birth. I didn't have anything, not even gas and air until the stitches (unfortunately I tore a bit down the old scar tissue - but recovery has been much better so far, three weeks in).

I was adamant that I didn't want another epidural as the previous time had been so horrible. Just as I was starting to think 'help, I'm not sure I can do this without' it was time to get in the pool, which was bliss. Honestly didn't hurt once I was in the water and DD was out in 30 minutes.

It was amazing. I think, given the right atmosphere and the right support, there is no reason at all you couldn't manage without this time.

SybilBeddows Mon 04-Jul-11 20:27:27

you definitely don't need to assume you'll need one a second time because you did the first. Second and subsequent babies tend to come out more easily and have shorter labours so lots of people have a more interventiony first birth than later ones.

I had an epi and ventouse with dd then no pain relief with ds1 and a teeny bit of gas and air with ds2 - they were much easier births, and I think that is fairly common.

you'll be fine, congratulations on your pregnancy!

ohbabybaby Tue 05-Jul-11 10:09:38

DS1: had an epidural (long labour, failure to progress, then the hormone drip ending in ventouse and forceps)

i really wanted to avoid it for DS2 because I felt it had contributed to the forceps (couldn't feel to push) and I did. I had a brief moment of very strong regret though when I realised that I was about to push this massive thing out without an epidural though!

It was a huge temptation but my labour was very different - I actually used breathing techniques this time and I felt in control, only 45 mins of proper pain (which was never as bad as with DS1). And wierdly and inexplicably I am really glad to have experienced what the body does.

This was with induction too -my labour had started but only gently and they needed to speed things up cos of meconium in waters. they said 2nd time they give you much less of the drug. So even if you are induced again it could be totally different. Good luck!

Elsjas Tue 05-Jul-11 13:27:29

When I was pregnant with dc1, I was totally convinced that I didn't want an epidural as I'm very scared of needles. However, three hours into labour I decided that needles weren't as bad as the pain of the contractions and had an epidural. I slept for four hours and labour was easy. However, Dc1 was born via ventouse as I couldn't feel to push and the last hour or so was very panicky.

When I was pregnant with dc2, I was adamant that I wanted an epidural again as it had been so easy first time around. However, dc2 was coming very quickly and when I arrived at the hospital I was told that it was too late for an epidural as dc2 would be here within an hour. Once I knew that I wasn't going to get an epidural, I relaxed into the contractions and had a far greater sense of euphoria and surge of adrenalin after dc2 was born, and a much closer immediate bond with the baby (although this may have jest been that I was v scared about being a mother with dc1).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

NeedsSleepNow Thu 07-Jul-11 15:15:31

Hello, I was induced (synotocin drip from the start) with both LOs. I had a really unsupportive MW with DD1 and after 7 hours was 'forced' into having an epidural. (Reality is it was transition and I was ready to push soon afterwards but I didn't realise any of this, anyhow, it's irrelevant!) I hated everything about the epidural and it didn't flippin well work either. Still felt every darn thing, I really really really can't imagine when people say they slept after having it... huh!!! Anyway, with DD2 I had done this before so knew what to expect, what to look out for etc etc and I certainly didn't want an epidural and had DD with no pain relief as I knew what was going to happen etc, it was so much nicer all round, as well as easier and quicker being a subsequent baby grin

2sCompany Thu 07-Jul-11 15:24:39

I had a 4 day labour with my first... all the pain relief going, from G&A, pethadine, TENS, ending up with an epidural. Couldn't feel to push and was pushing for hours. Although it was a spontaneous labour.

Second child, my waters broke but nothing happened for 24 hours, so I was induced with that pessary type thing they stick up you (can't remember what you call it!) Anyway, labour was about 5 hours and I had no pain relief at all. I much preferred being able to feel the contractions to push and properly feel the baby being born.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now