Talk

Advanced search

Second baby

(11 Posts)
olajo Sun 03-Jul-11 09:26:48

I just would like to ask whether its true that the second labour is shorter than the first one. I am due in 6 weeks and getting really anxious as I do not have a car and the hospital is 16 miles away with practicly no public transport.I was induced the first time and was in labour less than an hour so I am pretty scared Ill end up having a baby at home.

BeeMyBaby Sun 03-Jul-11 14:21:15

Have you discussed the possibility of a homebirth? I read (on these forums) that for those who have short labours a homebirth is sometimes suggested by their midwives?

Primafacie Sun 03-Jul-11 14:43:51

I think statistically it is true that second labours are shorter, both for tbe first stage (roughly half) and second stage (20 minutes as opposed to one/two hours). Of course plenty of women have the opposite experience, but I can see why this would be a worry given how far you are from the hospital. A first labour lasting only one hour is unusual and may mean you are a precipitous labourer. I would have a chat with the midwife and would consider an early induction tbh.

gallicgirl Sun 03-Jul-11 14:45:55

Go on, have a home birth. It's lovely.

olajo Sun 03-Jul-11 14:48:11

The midwives told me not too hang around too much and get to hospital as soon as I can but its easier said than done. I have been taking taxi to maternity unit before as I had a few episodes of bleeding but it takes absolute ages anyway. As for homebirth my husband will freak out as he is not the best in strassful situations I have a 4 year old and no support network whatsoever so I am just slowely getting wind up about it.I guess its one of those days.

gallicgirl Sun 03-Jul-11 15:55:03

So the DP can look after the 4YO and keep them both out of the way. Hopefully you'll have a lovely supportive MW to help you in birth.

olajo Sun 03-Jul-11 16:19:03

I was on my own the first time around I will manage this time as well just scared Ill not make it to hospital sad

ilovedjasondonovan Sun 03-Jul-11 16:24:43

1st 8 hours
2nd - surprise delivery at home with no second stage.

No support network for 1yr DD1 at the time, and DD2 just arrived very very quickly. Went for a poo in the downstairs toilet and out she slithered. Shouted to DH to grab a towel and he caught her expertly. After some phonecalls to the hospital 2 MWs and 2 ambulances were called just in case. Didn't need to go into hospital in the end though.

Try not to worry about a surprise home birth. Just keep all the phone numbers to hand and a towel in every room. You'll be OK.

Oh, and if it does happen, don't do what we did and leave DD2 wrapped up in a soggy towel, get them a nice clean one to warm them up (we were in shock so weren't thinking straight).

olajo Sun 03-Jul-11 16:46:52

Ilovedjasondonovan your story has actually inspired me I guess I will manage whatever happens. Thanks. smile

ilovedjasondonovan Sun 03-Jul-11 20:00:19

You'll be fine; just put the towels in every corner incase of a quick catch and know where the hospital phone number is (DH rang the labour ward and they sorted out MW's and ambulances for us). Took less than 5 mins for help to arrive.

The funny thing is I only live 1 mile from the hospital and had been talking to them only 30 mins before where they told me to take a paracetamol and have a bath. Glad I ignored them.

Cutelittlecatlover Tue 05-Jul-11 18:23:20

shock ilovedjasondonovan, thats terrible! Did they apologise? A similar thing happened to me but I only just made it to hospital in time. Op in your position I would seriously consider homebirth, I was quite fast with dc1 and this is what I will be doing with dc2. If you're dead against hb I would just call an ambulance when contractions start, I don't think they would have a problem with coming out to you considering how fast your labour was with dc1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now