Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

transport to hospital

(10 Posts)
hostelgirl74 Fri 01-Jul-11 06:35:48

We have no car. Partners brother has said that he doesnt mind get woken up on "labour day" to drive us to hospital. However, as I don't know when that will be, what if he has had a drink or something? How would you suggest getting to hospital if friends/family cannot take us? This may seem like a silly question but would they let you in a taxi if you are in labour? Seems a bit mad to get the bus (my first and think i would be worried) and is calling an ambulance excessive? I really have no idea what to do when the time comes! Any advice welcome.

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 06:42:55

you can get a taxi. in theory they are not allowed to refuse you transport, but my mw told me to just say 'transport to hospital' when calling.
I took a taxi to the hospital and the driver was extra careful.

mousymouse Fri 01-Jul-11 06:43:52

only call an ambulance in a real emergency!

minicorrect Fri 01-Jul-11 06:47:58

I caught a bus when I first went in and took a taxi when I went back later and was in a lot more pain. Didn't even occur to me that this might be an issue! Just make sure you have cash with your hospital bag to pay them!

Glitterybits Fri 01-Jul-11 10:24:42

I think this largely depends on your circumstances and/or where you live. Not wanting to be the angel of doom, but there are times when labour and birth are problematic and I'm not sure I'd want to risk waiting on a taxi, or assuming that they will definitely take you if/when they arrive. I suspect a lot of them would not want to risk liability, or a birth in their cab and you may end up with an unscheduled homebirth.

I suppose it also depends on how established labour is when you decide to go in. You may find that an ambulance is the only sensible option in order for both you and baby to be safe and it's important that you feel psychologically comfortable as well. I'd go with the 'transport to hospital' option first (if you have it), with the understanding that it is not your fault if you need an ambulance. Certainly don't feel bad if you have to call one. The service is there for a reason and yours and your baby's life is just as important as anyone else's.

starfishmummy Fri 01-Jul-11 10:32:29

The advice we were given (a few years ago, so may eb different now) was that it is perfectly OK to call an ambulance if you are in labour and can't get to the hospiatl any other way. However they did say that if it was a false alarm and you were sent home it would NOT be by ambulance.

TabithaTwitchet Fri 01-Jul-11 10:38:22

I went by taxi, and driver was v nice and drove extra carefully, and wished me well on arrival at the hospital. We had phoned taxi firm a few weeks previously and confirmed that they would be willing and able to take a woman in labour (they said they would prioritise me if it was at a busy time, but they wouldn't be able to take me if I was within 10 minutes of giving birth! - in those circumstances it is definitely the time for an ambulance). I was a bit nervous about waters breaking on plush leather interior of the taxi, but fortunately they didn't!

Cutelittlecatlover Fri 01-Jul-11 12:47:01

I took a taxi and it was no problem at all. I didn't tell them until it arrived and the driver asked why I was screaming and he didn't seem fazed by it at all.

vallinnapod Fri 01-Jul-11 15:03:30

I think this is fairly common in somewhere like London to call a cab. We are going to call one - it's a firm we have used for years but in any case if you ring them and say you would like to use them to take you to hospital in labour then you get some added security they will! I am sure there will be some drivers who are uncomfortable with this so worth checking with the firms so they have a few who are prepared to.

As for waters going. I was told (by a friend - not the cab company!) to buy a pack of those disposable changing mats and sit on a couple, just in case. This was actually her tip for being in a car full stop in labour - never mind a cab smile

I also have a friend who just hailed a black cab from outside her house confused

notcitrus Fri 01-Jul-11 15:22:18

Yes - I checked with local minicab firm and they confirmed they had drivers who would happily take me to hospital in labour and they kept old towels and bin bags in their cars!
I used them a lot in late pregnancy as had SPD, and they were rather disappointed I was never in labour. As the cab place is round the corner, it would be quicker than an ambulance in most cases, too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: