Talk

Advanced search

Episotomy healing time?

(8 Posts)
kviddy Thu 30-Jun-11 08:32:38

hiya,
Going a little crazy over here. Had a crap birth with a mass hemmorhage and good size episotomy. When it was cut, she went thru a Blood vessel which contributed to the bleeding and after one week all the stitches broken down just leaving a gaping hole. It's since healed itself but... It hurts. It'll be 9 weeks on Monday. The constant pain reminds me of the crap birth which in turn I find upsetting to constantly remember. Consultant has had a look- said it was healing up but said if it's still painful in a few months might have a trapped nerve. TBH don't really want this to last a few months.

Anyone?

La73 Thu 30-Jun-11 10:06:19

Hi kviddy, for me healing was approx 12 weeks which have subsequently discovered is overly long and due in part to a genetic connective tissue I've recently been diagonosed with. Therefore suggest you go back to see GP if no better by 12 weeks.
If not already using Arnica (tablets and cream) may help - also recently someone advised me to take zinc and Hypericum. I also had one of those blow up cushion things for sitting and breastfed lying down when really painful.
You may want to consider talking to someone / counselling too about the birth experience.
Really hope you feel some relief soon.

missingmyflatbelly Thu 30-Jun-11 14:27:51

I had exactly the same thing last year . are u taking painkillers? And lots of rest. It will take time but you'll be amazed at your body's capacity to heal. But u she be on strong painkillers. Also arnica tablets are good but I'm not sure about the cream on an open wound.

missingmyflatbelly Thu 30-Jun-11 15:10:28

I had exactly the same thing last year . are u taking painkillers? And lots of rest. It will take time but you'll be amazed at your body's capacity to heal. But u she be on strong painkillers. Also arnica tablets are good but I'm not sure about the cream on an open wound.

pash5 Fri 01-Jul-11 22:09:28

Feel like I'm reading about my birth: big epi, loads of blood loss, then stitches broke down within a few days. I kept going back to hospital (labour and obs) every week, and every week they gave me antibiotics and told me it would heal. I gave up at about 8 weeks. But when it still hurt at 16 weeks, I went to my GP, who referred me to a gyn team and I had the epi repaired. It wasn't nerve damage, but the epi just wasn't healing and they had to re-stitch it. I would push to get it sorted out. No point in suffering if you don't need to. On the other hand, no point in having surgery if you don't need it. Hope it gets better and soon. x

PinkSchmoo Sat 02-Jul-11 20:52:00

Mine got infected and took 16 weeks before it felt ok.

Horrid, horrid things.

Good luck.

willowstar Mon 04-Jul-11 09:04:40

hello

Mine took about 4-6 months from what I remember for me to not be aware of it all the time. I saw a gyaecologist who told me that healing is quickish to start off with then really plateaus. I also had a little skin tag which I had to have burned off at about 9 months.

Cattleprod Mon 04-Jul-11 09:10:46

Mine took about 2 months to heal iirc, but it took ages to become completely better, and it was about a year before I could use tampons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now