Talk

Advanced search

QA Hospital, Hampshire - any experiences?

(14 Posts)
davidtennantsmistress Wed 29-Jun-11 13:36:43

basically new to ahving a DC in this area, with DS it was about as bad as it could be, total lack of control for anything had an awful awful time. This time i'm having consultant care again, but I don't want to be put on a bed & left again.

how is the care there - so far all i've heard is snippets of horror stories of poor care, no after services at all once baby's come and to the point of a friends DH told to change the incontinence pads when she needed it doing (was her 3rd)

am scared stiff. I know they don't do tours either virtual or actual so god knows but it's really freaking me out now.

am 32 weeks today. TIA.

largeginandtonic Wed 29-Jun-11 13:42:21

I will be finding out soon i suspect.. the last 2 born here were at home. This baby will be at QA i think.

I have not heard anything bad. Have a couple of mates who had babies there. Straightforward births and they were home the next day though.

Surely your midwife can arrange a tour for you? Who is your consultant? I ahve Mr Davies. Hmmmm.

davidtennantsmistress Wed 29-Jun-11 14:06:22

can't re call someone over at fareham. no I asked my MW and she said they've stopped doing them now and are yet to set the virtual one up - given how it was for me last time i'm v v anxious tbh.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/1190963-Terrified-about-Labour-no-2-what-was-yours-like-bigger-babies-longer-times (highlights)

largeginandtonic Wed 29-Jun-11 16:24:20

Oh Love sad What a nightmare for you. No wonder you are worried about it all.

I have had a few children, all the births very different. I had id twins first, they were a section at 29 weeks. Blardy awful, obv.

The with dd is was so determined to stay away from the hosp i wanted her at home. Much tutting from consultant. She was the day before her due date in a terrible position and i was transferred in by blue light. When i managed to get her out i tore to shreds and was stitched up more than the section. That was fun. She was only 7lb10oz.

Next was ds3, lovely HB. He was 8lb 6oz. Few stitches done in hosp the next day. He was 10 days late.

Ds4 HB in 40 minutes and 9lb. He was shoulder dystocia but the midwife pulled him out. Stitches done at home with a torch! He was 14 days late.

Ds5 induced as ds4 had been so big i was getting twitchy about him being too big. So 40+10. Blardy awful position again. Ventouse delivery. Few stitches. He was 9lb 2oz.

Then dd. She was just 3 days late. Lovely hb. Out in 2 hours ish and was 9lb 5oz. She did have to be quite forcefully pulled out.

So they have got bigger but that has not really made a difference to the labour. I think my pelvis has reached capacitity. This is another boy so i will, i think, go in and be induced early. Will see what the consultant says.

All babies and labour are different, it is luck of the draw in most cases. I think you need to speak to your midwife or contact the supervisir of midwives at the hospital. She should be able to reassure you and at leats get you in to the place to look round and chat. If you are not reassured by your midwife ask for another one. They should be there to support you not just tick boxes.

I am sure it will all be fine. Your body knows what to do, if all is lined up right it will happen. Are you new to the area? Is your dh military? (mine is) We could always meet for a chat smile

nannyl Wed 29-Jun-11 18:10:19

Well its all nice and new now.

I used to live close by, and tbh i would have chosen St Richards over QA, as lived between the 2.
However i have moved a long way away and id do anything to be able to choose QA over the ONLY hopsital i can choose (45 mins away) up here.

My ex boss worked at QA and i think there are many far worse options!

Im sure they have a lovely birthing centre there as well, if you are eligable to use that?

MorningCoffee Wed 29-Jun-11 18:15:26

My friend had a baby at QA 4 weeks ago, she had quite a few problems and ended up with forcep delivery, she said it was all fine at the hospital and all her care was very good as well as babies.

davidtennantsmistress Thu 30-Jun-11 08:12:52

nanny/morning, positive storys are good to hear. smile

as I say so far all i've heard is how shoddy and ill looked after the ladies/babies are like a conveya belt and under no circs would the ladies have a baby there again.

Ideally i'd love a water birth this time around, or at least just to be in control of the birth.

Large - wow you've been through the mill a bit as well. my consultant is mr sallaum. I've seen him once, he ticked the boxes didn't feel/touch asked a few questions and sent me away again. so far tbh i've had nothing in the way of reassurance and feel very much like a first timer with the fears/nerves, but likewise expected to get on with things and not fuss as i'm a second timer.

yes DP is force as was XH. i've been back here now for a good 3-4 years nearly, but haven't really met too many people. always good to meet new face though especially as i'm trying to increase my friends with a NB at home. smile

nannyl Thu 30-Jun-11 08:28:50

My cousin is due to give birth there in Augast.... ill try and find this thread and let you know what she thinks!

She has had a few issues (which wernt actual real problems IYSWIM) and has been sent there by her midwife a few times (she is 34 weeks now). Everything has been nothing, but I dont think her experiences have been "bad" or anything.
(Unlike me here in West yorkshire when i was admitted)

My cousins cousin has had 2 babies there recently. Certainly no "horror stories" from her... all went to plan, mum and babies fine, though second baby had an undiagnosed tongue tie. I dont think the hospital are to blame for that though... it happens everywhere i think!

Whatevertheweather Thu 30-Jun-11 08:40:31

Davidtennantsmistress - I am 27 weeks with dc2 and under dr Salloum at Fareham community hospital also. Have seen him once and found him rubbish to be honest totally vague and dis-organised. I have had my scans at QA and am booked there for 2 more at 28 and 32 weeks as I've got a 2 vessel umbilical cord.

So far I've found QA great and have had 3 friends give birth there since it opened. They all praised it and said the facilities and care were excellent on labour ward. One had a stay on post natal after and said that was quite haphazard.

DD was born at St Marys in Portsmouth 4 years ago and I can't praise highly enough the care I had in labour there and am hoping it's been transferred to QA!

My midwife (at merryfields in Neville lovett school) did give me a name and number of a lady that does the tours at QA will dig it out and post it on here for you

good luck hope it all goes well for you x

Whatevertheweather Thu 30-Jun-11 08:53:17

Have pm'd you the number I was given to arrange a tour

davidtennantsmistress Thu 30-Jun-11 11:41:55

wew many thanks,

I have rung and left a message, so will let you know if I hear anything back, I'm glad it's not just me who found him a little flakey tbh - he's asked me to go back 3 days after my due date assuming ive not had the baby yet, but he basically brushed all my fears aside and said 'well yes there there sometimes first births can be like that never mind' I'm sure he's perfectly lovely and very good but it wasn't very reassuring. It is the post natal care that's concerning me tbh - that's where i've heard that it's been specicially not enough staff for the ladies there. but I guess that's the NHS all over atm. sad shame i'm too late to sort out private cover lol.

nannyl - oh we might well be in together at the same time.

Tangle Thu 30-Jun-11 12:18:27

If you don't mind me asking, why are you under consultant led care? Are you planning a CS? What type of private cover would you be interested in?

Don't assume its too late to arrange alternative care - I signed up with IMs at 36 weeks with DD1. When we booked we were quite focused on the birth, but looking back a huge proportion of the value was in the pre- and post-natal care. I wanted a HB and IMs were, for me, the only way to feel supported in that choice - we totally failed to appreciate the difference that having someone we knew on the end of the phone 24/7, and visiting daily for the first few weeks (if wanted) would make. With DD2 we went straight back to the IMs and planned another HB, but things didn't go according to plan and I wound up with a hospital induction (with our IM there as another birth partner/advocate).

I'm now expecting DC3 and, even though I'm under consultant led care following DD2, we've again gone straight to IMs. At the moment we're very undecided on planned place of birth (and its still quite early days), but wherever we wind up at least one of our IMs will be there with us. I'd pay for one even if I knew before conception I'd be having an elective CS, TBH.

Anyway, I digress. But I'm not that far from you (although not under QA) - if you'd like details for the IMs I've been in contact with I'll happily pass them on smile

davidtennantsmistress Thu 30-Jun-11 13:20:29

yes IM's indeed what's that? i'm currently looking at other avenues we can go down if possible.

Basically I was consultant/midwife pre DS, as when I was small I had a hormone imbalance/growth in my brain, coupled with starting fertility investigations it was decided that I should go with both the types of care. With this one i've got the consultants again due to the (I beleive the MW said they call it a post natal hemorage?) anyhow, was a major blood loss/infection/transfusions etc, plus DS needed to go in the light box thingy for 2 days so all in all it was a rough ride for a while there, the midwife automatically said I wouldn't be allowed a HB, (not keen on it but wanted the option) but realistically i'd like to go for a water birth this time around with the least amount of intervention possible.

Tangle Thu 30-Jun-11 21:36:29

IMs are Independent Midwives - fully qualified and often very experienced MW's that have chosen to contract their services individually, outside of the NHS, such that they can provide continuity of care and individual support in a way that is too often prohibited by NHS staffing constraints and policies. Most IMs are members of the IMA and will show up if you search on that site, but I do know of at least one in the area who doesn't come up (keep meaning to ask if that's an intentional omission or not) - if you're interested I'll pm you with details of those I've been in contact with and my impressions smile. I think the going rate is around £3k to £3.5k.

Re. your MW's comment that you "wouldn't be allowed a HB", I think the polite comment is that she may need some additional training on the (lack of) authority that she has in this area. Put bluntly, unless you have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act the hospital and its representatives have no legislative power to force you to accept their kind invitation to utilise their facilities for the birth of your child. They can advise against a HB, but it is up to you whether or not you choose to accept their advice.

Women can and do choose to plan a HB following a Post Partum Haemorage (PPH). I'm one of them - but I do know that my PPH was due to a tear rather than any uterine issues so had no reason to believe it would repeat, and it was also gradual rather than catastrophic so not a terribly scary experience.

I haven't come across jaundice (I'm guessing that's why your DS needed to go in the light box?) being given as a risk factor in a HB. I'm not an expert, but I've got the impression that a jaundiced baby isn't an emergency situation as long as the baby receives treatment reasonably fast (ie within a few hours).

HB isn't right for everyone, but it is an option for them (mental health permitting). There are situations where my personal opinion is that a woman would be taking excessive risk in choosing to remain at home - but then depending on her reasons for being interested in HB in the first place what's excessive to me might still not be sufficient reason for a hospital birth for someone else - although that other woman might well blanch at my planned home breech birth of a larger than average baby...

If you are interested in finding out more about HB you might find the homebirth.org.uk website interesting in general, with particular reference to this page, which looks at PPH in specific.

I'm finding it quite bizarre going through maternity care now I've developed additional risk factors. A little digging has made it clear that the statements re. how risky it would be for me to have another HB, represented as hard facts by consultants, often have remarkably little evidence to support them. It makes it incredibly hard to work out what the best course of action for me is.

Things that are important to me include feeling as though I can remain in control of what happens as far as possible (in the sense of being supported to make an informed decision on whether or not to consent to procedures rather than having my care plan made for me and my consent assumed) and having a peaceful, calm, uninterrupted birth - or as peaceful, calm and uninterrupted a birth as is possible with any complications that may arise. I had that for DD1 and although the MWs were as good as they could have been for DD2, being in hospital and not knowing them before hand did make it a very different dynamic and one that wasn't an improvement for me in many ways.

I'd also like to try a waterbirth for once (I laboured in water for DD1, which was lovely, but agreed to get out for the birth as the MWs' (extensive) breech experience extended to land birth only - and had planned a waterbirth for DD2 but circumstances dictated otherwise). One conclusion I've come to is that the only way to be 100% sure of getting a waterbirth is to have a HB, as then the pool will definitely be available. I think my local maternity unit has 1 pool between 8 rooms - I know that's better than many, but it still doesn't strike me as great odds.

It does sound like you had a quite a rough time emotionally as well as physically - I really hope things go more smoothly for you (and your DC!) this time round. If you want more support, wherever you decide to plan the birth, you might well benefit from an IM or a doula (someone, usually female, experienced in supporting women and their families through pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period - they are very unlikely to be currently registered medical professionals, but can provide a great deal of emotional and practical support in a way that MWs, particularly NHS MWs, do not have the time to do. And they tend to be a lot cheaper than IMs!). There are ways to maximise your chances of getting the birth you want and a bit of knowledge from someone who's been there and done it before, and a clear head from someone less emotionally involved, can be incredibly helpful in achieving that goal.

(Oh my word, I've just realised how long this has become. Scuttles away with a blush...!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now