Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.


(5 Posts)
lauraloo09 Tue 28-Jun-11 14:57:04

Hiya all just looking for some advice

DH and I have decided to start ttc#2 and, althought it is early, I am starting to consider my labour options. When in labour with DD I was in labour for 38 hours, however was never in established labour as I never got past 1cm dilated however I was contracting like mad. Everytime I contracted me pelvis felt like it was about to snap, after 38 hours in 'labour' it was decided to get an EMCS. The CS went ok and the recovery wasn't that bad. However I often wish I was about to give birth naturally and now thinking of a VBAC and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences of VBAC or ELCS. Although I'd like a VBAC I'm worried of being in the same position and needing another EMCS so should I consider a ELCS...I know I have plenty time to think of this but want to start the planning smile


Junebugjr Tue 28-Jun-11 16:15:51

I had the same type of experience as your first labour, then ending in emcs for dd1.

I decided on vbac for dd2, purely as if it ended up being a straightforward bog standard delivery, I would be up and about asap able to look after a 3yr old and a baby. I also took a long time to recover from the emcs.

I did have a straightforward vbac, and it did pretty much what it said on the tin, back to normal quickly, and much more physically comfortable than with my section. 5 weeks on, and I'm happy with my decision.

Good luck!

Lovethesea Tue 28-Jun-11 16:58:50

I would push to get some medical advice on why you never progressed last time. Do they consider it likely to repeat? Then write out the pros and cons of vbac/emcs if needed and elcs. Could you list your options, eg my best case would be an easy vbac, perhaps next best an elcs, then worst case an emcs or emergency instrumental delivery? Weigh up the evidence for this birth being different than last time.

Also - listen to your gut feeling on it. You could perhaps book an elcs for 40 weeks and decide you'll try for a vbac if things start before then?

VeryHungryKatypillar Tue 28-Jun-11 17:23:40

It's definitely a good idea to start thinking about your options now and if you decide you want to try for a VBAC you may need to be a little assertive with the drs - I found that at my hospital they pretty much assumed that I would want an elcs. Even when I said that no, I was set on a VBAC they said, well, if you're still undecided in a few weeks we can book you in for a c-section. Gah!

Anyway, I did manage a VBAC and I am so pleased that I stuck to my guns. I can pick up my 3 yo, run around after her, play with her, drive to pick her up from nursery, as well as generally play an active part in the house. So different to first time round.

My csection was for breech, my body had never laboured before so I didn't have the knowledge that you do. The suggestion of finding out why you didn't progress from 1cm is a good one.

There are some good resources around and I found the vbac handbook particularly useful, mainly to read the birth stories in there if I'm honest but also the analysis of risk factors was useful.

It might also be an idea to get hold of your hospital's VBAC protocol to see how they approach things??

Wishing you all the best ttc!

MrsHoolie Wed 29-Jun-11 14:17:26

My advice is to go for whatever you really want to do.
I couldn't decided whether to try for a vbac or not. The day before my due date I had a wobble and booked an ELCS.
I went into labour beforehand anddecided to 'give it a go' but ended up with another emcs. However it was an amazing experience and quite like an ELCS.
My sections were for Failure to Progress.

You have ages til you have to decide,hopefully you'll know what you want nearer the time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: