Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Recent experience of ELCS at chelsea & westminster??

(10 Posts)
minstrel75 Mon 27-Jun-11 22:40:14

Was wondering if anybody has recently had an ELCS at C&W. I'm considering whether to ask for one due to my age (I'll be 43 when I deliver) and the increased risks of stillbirth and failed placenta that come with it. I was told by the last midwife that I saw that I'd need to go privately if I went for an ELCS and so have been exploring the poss of going through the Kensington Wing.

Spoke today to Roger Marwood, an obstetrician at the KW, who said that he wouldn't necessarily advise a CS in my situation so now I'm even more confused about the best thing to do. Would really like to hear from anyone who has spoken to consultants at C&W recently and received any advice about similar concerns.

Would also be really interested in people's feedback about C&W consultants that they have recently had for an ELCS and would they recommend. I've seen lots of positive feedback on Mark Johnson and Zoe Penn but unfortunately they are already booked up.

Thank you.

Sparklies Tue 28-Jun-11 13:17:18

I had Nick Wales in November for fitting my TAC (transabdominal cerclage - the operation is very similar to a c-section, it's just the aim is to keep the baby in!) and he was great. My ELCS in April was done by Shane Duffy, who was equally lovely. I would happily recommend either of those.

FrettyBetty Tue 28-Jun-11 16:06:32

I am under Keith Duncan, but so far for a vaginal birth. So can't really be of much help, but happy to share experiences! When I was doing research he seemed to have good reviews for c-sections which is why I chose him (possible fibroid issue). When are you due?

minstrel75 Tue 28-Jun-11 17:28:38

Thanks for your replies. I am due mid-Sept. so need to make a decision fairly quickly I think if I do opt to go for the ELCS privately. I know Keith Duncan a bit as he did a CVS in my last pregnancy. At first I thought his manner was a bit off but when we met him again and for my 12wk scan in this pregnancy he was much more sympathetic.

My two top available choices (based on previous threads) seem to be Gubby Ayida and Nick Wales. I think I am just struggling with actually making the decision to go for the ELCS at all as I have had two previous vaginal deliveries (9 and 7 years ago though) and can't seem to get a clear answer as to whether its medically safer to go for an early ELCS given my age.

FrettyBetty Tue 28-Jun-11 22:00:38

Similar timing, I am due Sept 9th. No clue really. Can you discuss with either of those consultants?

minstrel75 Tue 28-Jun-11 22:16:43

I'm due Sept 11th - hopefully not a bad omen! I have a meeting with Nick Wales next week to meet and talk it through. Will also try and arrange another appt. via the NHS with the obstetrican on duty to get another perspective.

FrettyBetty Tue 28-Jun-11 22:20:47

You can actually get appointments with obstretitians through the NHS? I cannot move beyond my very young midwife. Were your other births NHS?

minstrel75 Tue 28-Jun-11 23:09:28

Well I had to ask for an appt as no-one had even talked to me about my options for the delivery which I found a bit surprising given my age. I know what you mean about the midwives - they are lovely and friendly but I usually feel as if I'm old enough to be their mother and the last couple that I met weren't really able to answer any of my more 'medical' questions.

My two other births were both NHS at C&W. Didn't really consider the need to go private but then I wasn't so worried about my age being a factor! Is this your first?

FrettyBetty Wed 29-Jun-11 10:09:16

Hi minstrel, yes this is is my first, and I am probably as old as you were with your previous one - I am just an expat (Well, sort of, 15 years here!), and we all seem, rightly or wrongly, to be freaked out by the midwife lead care. (And for now I am only thinking of the one - otherwise we will quickly go broke!) Maybe you were not offered to see a consultant as your age isn't that unusual for births nowadays? But I'll be interested to know what Nick Wales and NHS obstretitian have to say.

Stangirl Wed 29-Jun-11 14:07:29

No experience of C&W but I asked for and was given an ELCS - no medical reason - on the NHS at Kings College. I am pg again and will be having another ELCS at Kings on NHS - have shared care between ob and MW.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: