Talk

Advanced search

When waters are broken do they send you home again???

(14 Posts)
inspireme Sat 25-Jun-11 18:55:51

SIL went to hospital last night as she thought her waters had broken, she was sent home again, she said they told her they were broken and she 2cm dilated, she's supposed to go back in 3 days to get induced if she hasn't went before that.

I have alway been told that if waters have broken you will always be started within 24hrs in case of infection. Is this not right??

Shes 40 & 5 btw.

HotGiggity Sat 25-Jun-11 19:00:10

My waters broke and I was induced after 24 hours and then on AB's after 48 but I think it depends on the hospitals policy.

inspireme Sat 25-Jun-11 19:06:06

i assumed it would be standard practice everywhere but I'm at the same hospital for my birth and I was told induction would happen after 24hrs at the most so I find this a bit strange.

My other SIL was induced at the same hospital last yr when this happened.

This SIL has a tendancy to panic though and often picks things up wrong though so this just had us a bit confused

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 25-Jun-11 19:13:24

I am worried about your SIL. I think she should go back. I am about to go out so can't post full story, but I was left hanging around with leaking waters for 4/5 days (at 39 + 6) and dd DID get an infection which required intravenous antibiotics for 5 days plus oral antibs after that. She was also born by crash c-section because of cord compression during labour and I have never been able to get an answer to whether the two were connected. This was at Kings (supposedly one of the very best hospitals in the entire country) in 2001. When I was pg in 2003 and went in to book my elcs, the consultant told me that policy had changed between 2001 and 2003 and I would not be left for more than 24 hours after waters leaking. It is very serious. Do advise her to speak up!

inspireme Sat 25-Jun-11 19:27:01

This is why we are v confused about it- we are just kinda assuming that she has picked up what they said wrong as no one can believe they would have sent her home in this situation as this is def not their policy.

Will probe her again to find out did they definately say they were broken.

VeryHungryKatypillar Sat 25-Jun-11 19:32:02

Our hospital's policy is also to induce after 24 hours of water's breaking - I managed to avoid this grin by a few hours.

Just wondering, might your SIL be fibbing to give herself a bit of space from the family? I found people knowing that I was hanging around for labour to start a bit pressurising and mildly irritating to have people text to find out how I was doing (switched phone off in the end). Or perhaps she knows this risks and doesn't want to be induced? Just a thought - and no offence intended- I am quite happy to fib to my family in such situations!

inspireme Sat 25-Jun-11 19:37:55

Think u might be right katypillar but it's not for the reasons of wanting space as she went to her mums house after she got home from hospital when she knew the rest of the family were.

anyway for whatever reason I think you are right and she is fibbing, I'm for the same hospital in hopefully a few days and would not like to think I would be sent home in this situation so I was worried for myself too!

Boozilla Sat 25-Jun-11 19:43:17

3 days sounds far too long, my waters broke twice with no contractions and I was told I would be induced within 24 hours in case of infection. I think I did have the option to leave it for longer but that would require ABs etc.

banana87 Sat 25-Jun-11 19:50:05

I thought my waters broke and we headed to hospital but it was just my hind waters apparently. I was 3cm though so was kept in and my waters fully went about 30 minutes later.

LisMcA Sat 25-Jun-11 19:50:33

I was told if my waters went it was 72 hours with a course of abs. Did happen for me but it did for my friend. I think it also depends on how busy the unit is and some units won't induce at the weekends either. So you sil may be right from my experience all be it limited.

MrsDaffodill Sat 25-Jun-11 19:52:19

I was sent home with leaking waters and told not to have sex!!! Was told to go back in 24 hours. (actually was back 90 minutes later, pushing........)

inspireme Sat 25-Jun-11 19:58:31

They induce at weekends so this couldn't be the reason- just wouldn't like to think they would ignore the policy just becaue they were busy and leave someone at risk.

Just gonna hope SIL is lying for whatever reason as I can't believe with waters broken and 2cms dilated they would send you home - she is desperate to get it all over so perhaps it's wishful thinking.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sat 25-Jun-11 19:58:36

Mrs Dafodill - incredible they warned you not to have sex!! Like anyone would??????

MrsDaffodill Sat 25-Jun-11 20:36:56

Yeah, have to say sex was the last thing on my mind. It was a male midwife too.

Then when I went in he said he didn't remember speaking to me the day before, and I was like well I CERTAINLY REMEMBER YOU!!

I had this weird water leaking thing where I was basically leaking what seemed like a pint at a time. Went through every towel in the house. Any man who came near me would have had to be very depraved, I think. (and brave - I would have skinned DH alive if he even thought of it, I think).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now