Talk

Advanced search

adviced against 4th pregnancy because too thin uterus

(13 Posts)
turbochildren Sat 25-Jun-11 14:26:07

I am just trying to find out if anyone has experience of being told their uterus is too thin. After the delivery of my third child I was told not to have anymore as the uterus was paper tissue thin and the bladder too high.
(three c-sections)
I know a fourth child would be a luxury, and am very happy with three, but there's this wish for one more if possible.

Husband also voiced this wish, so I'm trying to work out the risks, basically. Amniotic fluid on the low side during last pregnancy, so wondering if it had to do with thin womb?

Meglet Sat 25-Jun-11 14:28:07

I wouldn't risk it tbh. I stopped at 2 dc's as I had to have sections.

My friend was told to stop at 2 cs's, something to do with the scar tissue causing problems.

turbochildren Sat 25-Jun-11 14:46:39

well, this is where I got confused, as he said the scar tissue was not a problem... then I read somewhere that the thickness of the uterus can change/improve. a bit mystified about that.

Northernlurker Sat 25-Jun-11 14:58:36

Ask your GP to refer you to a ob/gyn consultant for a discussion. You need proper information not just internet research. In your shoes though I would give very serious consideration to the risks involved. You need to know to what degree your life could be at risk as well as the risks to a viable pregnancy.

turbochildren Sat 25-Jun-11 17:14:37

thank you, yes I was going to get an appointment next week. We are not going to do anything rash, for sure.

deo357 Sun 26-Jun-11 18:03:58

well, im expecting my 6th baby & it will be my 6th section ! probably the wrong person to ask but i feel it is worth the risks to have another child if thats what u want . The feeling of wanting a child lessens no more no matter how many u have. I too was told i had thin uterus last time. baby will be delivered early this time to avoid any rupturing etc. i also have lots of scar tissue. i suppose it depends if u r a risk taker?? those who only ever air on the side of caution wouldnt do it. i personally dont live like that & decided it was worth it. dont get me wrong there has been moments in this pregnancy i have thought "what have I done" but its will be worth every little moment.
dont forget medical technologys etc are great now & multiple sections are much more common.

elah11 Sun 26-Jun-11 18:09:41

I have had 3 sections and was told after the last one that my uterus was like tissue paper and that they would strongly advise against another pregnancy, as there would be a high chance of rupture. We had already decided 3 was our limit anyway but if we hadnt, then that info would have made the choice for us.
My 3 children need me alive and well more than myself or dh need any more babies .

MollysChamber Sun 26-Jun-11 18:15:28

My midwife friend says that the tissue can indeed become very very thin which makes it extremely difficult to stitch. I do know of someone who this happened to. She was on her fifth sectiom. She ended up having an emergency hysterectomy and in ICU for a few days. She and baby were fine but still very very risky.

deo357 Sun 26-Jun-11 18:21:55

yes, i didnt mention i will be having a hysterectomy at the birth

Bunbaker Sun 26-Jun-11 18:28:10

"well, im expecting my 6th baby & it will be my 6th section ! probably the wrong person to ask but i feel it is worth the risks to have another child if thats what u want"

I'm not sure how sensible this advice is. The risks aren't just about risks to the baby, but to the mother as well. I agree with elah11 - your other children need you alive and well.

deo357 Sun 26-Jun-11 18:32:26

bunbaker - yes thats why i said im probably the wrong person to ask, but its good to get lots of peoples take on the situation .

FullTimeStudentNurseAndMumOf3 Sun 26-Jun-11 22:35:56

Hi, have just posted similar thread before finding yours, sorry. I haven't been advised either way and am much in the same boat as yourself. Desperate to have another but no idea on what my risks would be.

turbochildren Tue 28-Jun-11 12:09:53

Thanks for all feedback, it's good to hear differernt experiences and opinions. before any final decision I'll get a specialist appt to have proper info of risks. that's probably a good course of action for FullTimeStudent aswell. smile

we have some time to consider what to do.
I'm feeling rather wobbly about it, and veer between wanting to go for it and wanting to sterilise in case of accident. Luckily husband more patient and with less hormonal impetus smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now