Talk

Advanced search

nail varnish

(21 Posts)
BeautifulBlondePineapple Fri 24-Jun-11 14:41:52

I was thinking about going for a mani/pedi just before I'm due, but my Mum (a former nurse) said that I wouldn't be allowed to wear nail varnish in case I needed an emergency section.

Anyone know if this is true?

HettyAmaretti Fri 24-Jun-11 14:44:33

Not sure about with a section, but I had a pedicure just before both my births and it was heaven. Nice too see the perfect toes under the wrecked body afterwards too grin

Go for it, if it's a problem then they'll cover your nails with surgical tape. They're not really anywhere near the vital zone anyway.

MissTinaTeaspoon Fri 24-Jun-11 14:45:50

You wouldn't be able to wear nail varnish if you needed a section because you would need to wear an oxygen saturation probe, but as that is the less likely scenario compared to having a normal delivery I would imagine that you could wear it, they can take it off if needed whilst preparing you for theatre, I'm sure they would have nail polish remover because I'm sure they've come across this before!

Tinkerisdead Fri 24-Jun-11 14:47:58

I had painted nails in my emCS. My friend had her polish removed for her section but mine was left in tact. They didnt shave me either. I did have a really rushed section with a spinal block and my friends was bit more relaxed with epidural etc so maybe it was due to time available?

I'd still have it done, my feet were terrible at the end of pregnancy and a pedicure and reflexology were so so welcome.

meditrina Fri 24-Jun-11 14:48:36

From an NHS webpage:

"It is possible to monitor how well your blood is oxygenated by looking at the colour of your nails. Therefore, if you are due to have an operation please ensure that you are not wearing nail varnish upon admission to hospital. The wearing of nail varnish is not permitted in theatre and the removal of this can cause unnecessary delays to theatre lists."

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Fri 24-Jun-11 14:50:07

I had an emergency section at 37 weeks, and they quicky half removed some/most of my polish from my toes, and shaved me quickly also, then i was rushed down the hall hmm

So i'd get it done, but if you need a section, they'll just remove it smile

kickingking Fri 24-Jun-11 14:50:13

I was told not wear nail varnish for my elcs.

Metalhead Fri 24-Jun-11 15:49:20

If you are planning a section then yes, I would avoid wearing nail polish for the reason quoted above (colour of your nails being an indicator of oxygen levels). But if you're hoping for a natural birth then you can probably risk it. I had a pedicure just before I gave birth, and it didn't cause any problems when I had to have an op under spinal block afterwards.

Bunbaker Fri 24-Jun-11 15:55:01

Once when DD was in hospital the nurses had to remove nail varnish from another child before she went down to theatre. The children's hospital have a very strict rule about no nail varnish. I expect it is to check the saturation levels.

Miffster Fri 24-Jun-11 15:57:16

Can you just have them pedicured with a clear polish, not a coloured polish?
Good luck with the birth.
smile

worldgonecrazy Fri 24-Jun-11 16:01:12

Your mum's right. The anaesthetist will need to monitor your oxygen levels by looking at the colour of your nails should you have to have an emergency procedure.

Flisspaps Fri 24-Jun-11 16:03:05

No-one said anything to me about nail varnish, and I had it on when I had DD (VB but EMCS was talked about)

littlewheel Fri 24-Jun-11 17:40:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

theborrower Fri 24-Jun-11 21:51:45

What Medi said above.

I'm sure you could spruce up your nails with a nice trim, file and buff without resorting to polish though. Besides, if you do have a pedicure/manicure, when are you ever going to have the time after the birth maintain and redo chipped polish? wink

TransatlanticCityGirl Sat 25-Jun-11 10:25:33

If your pregnancy is going well so far and a cesarean is not looking likely, go for it. You can always remove it if needed, and at least your nails will be well trimmed and skin will be soft!

My doula has actually recommended that I get a mani/pedi as part of a pampering regime that is supposed to relax me and help the get the hormones going that start labour. In addition to massages, reflexology, facials.... smile

Meglet Sat 25-Jun-11 10:27:52

They took the nail polish off for my EMCS. And they made a right mess doing it (don't blame them as they were trying to get DS out alive) , my toes were pink and smeary for days as I couldn't get down there to finish the job properly.

I was told not to wear nail polish for my ELCS.

AlmightyCitrus Sat 25-Jun-11 11:02:36

I spent a large part of last week being sized up by various surgeons and anaesthetists as there was a near certainty that I'd need an EMCS when I went into labour. Not one of them mentioned removing my nail varnish (or jewellery for that matter).
Fortunately I didn't need any surgical intervention, and my nails still look fabulous!

Might be worth checking with the hospital. I'm sure they'll all have different policies.

theborrower Sat 25-Jun-11 14:00:58

If your pregnancy is going well so far and a cesarean is not looking likely, go for it.

in my experience, this means nothing. I had a great pregnancy and labour was fine but had an EMCS as baby was an undiagnosed breech.

If you really really want to do your pedicure / manicure then check with the hospital. But don't assume it won't happen to you 'just because'. (And I do hope that it doesn't happen to you)

BeautifulBlondePineapple Sat 25-Jun-11 14:33:25

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll check with the midwife for the hospital policy.

If she oks it then I might get my toenails done nice & bright (can't reach them myself at the moment!) and leave my fingernails clear just in case.

Didn't need a section for DC1 and DC2, but you can never be sure what's going to happen and wouldn't want to delay any surgery for such a trivial reason.

eurochick Sat 25-Jun-11 15:04:42

It's the toenails they care about more I think. Before surgery in the past (not CS) I have been told to take off nail varnish).

But frankly, if you are not planning a CS, them removing your lovely pedi in the course of an emcs is likely to be of little bother to you as you will be recovering from surgery.

AbyCat Sun 26-Jun-11 00:14:57

The midwife I saw before my ELCS told me to take off all the nail polish on my toes & fingers, but in the end I totally forgot about it, and no one even noticed when I went in for the surgery the next morning (she had said that they would provide some nail polish remover for me as I couldn't get out to buy some) My nail technician said that they should just need to take the polish off from one fingernail to monitor the colour of the nail bed (even with false nails as I have).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now