Talk

Advanced search

ADVICE PULEASE! Shall I wax before c-section (never waxed before,but had c-section before lol!)

(6 Posts)
LadyLotty Fri 24-Jun-11 12:08:19

My first c-section 2 years ago ended in a scar that is healed without complications - although I do have keloid (ie it bumps out) and as I'm very pregnant now, lots of blood vessels, it is quite itchy again.

With the first c-section I 'veet'ed myself and needless to say the hairs came back very quickly and wasn't very soft. So I'm thinking this time round, wouldn't it be nice if I tried waxing? Then hair wouldn't come back for at least 2 weeks plus it would be lovely soft hair.... Except I've never tried waxing down there.

Has anybody waxed for the first time just before their c-section? Does it hurt like absolute hell? (given c-section wasn't that painful lol) Any advice out there?

oh by the way I'm not even thinking about a home wax - if I do decide to venture down this path I'll be going to a pro with personal recommendations etc.

NorthLondonDoulas Fri 24-Jun-11 16:56:51

Hiya,

I have never had a c-section but i did wax for the very first time a week before my due date with my first baby. I do have to say it did hurt like hell lol but it is far more effective than veet and longer lasting than shaving.

Good luck lol.x

callow Fri 24-Jun-11 17:07:18

Shaving and/or waxing is no longer recommended before surgery. If it needs to be done is should be done a few minutes prior to the skin incision.

As you know from shaving or waxing the areas where the hair is plucked or shaved often becomes red and occasionally tiny pustules form. If these are then incised during surgery there is an increase in the risk of wound infection.

Speak to your midwife, it might be OK if it was done weeks in advance.

Highlander Fri 24-Jun-11 17:27:20

yes, I had a wax 3 days prior to each CS. The lack of hair was nice for the awful lochia!

DancingWind Thu 07-Jul-11 21:32:41

If it is a planned CS then from what I've heard it is normally required that you wax/ shave prior to the surgery. If not the nurses will do a dry shave like they do for EMCS.
I'm a wimp when it comes to these things but I have a trick. 7 days before your wax appointment, shave or use veet. When the hair is completely natural ie; longer(tmi sorry) it hurts more to have it waxed. There are also local numbing gels you can use. But check to make sure you can use them when pregnant. I do my own waxing, I'm so shyblush I can barely get pelvic exams. It is painful, but bearable if you follow my top tipwink

PrincessScrumpy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:50:09

callow I think this depends on where you are having your cs - my mw has told me to shave and the hospital has a fab reputation. I might get a wax but with twins it depends if they try to come early - dh is on standby to do the shaving (I haven't seen down there since about 20w).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now