Talk

Advanced search

Swelling post birth?

(11 Posts)
VeryHungryKatypillar Wed 22-Jun-11 16:42:39

Day 3 after birth and my feet have been swollen all day, worse than the end of day swelling when heavily pregnant. Is this normal? Really don't remember with DD1, but then I did have stockings on anyway as she was a c-section.

Should I ring midwife or is this relatively normal??

MotherPanda Wed 22-Jun-11 16:45:26

Have you been walking around today? It is a little hot outside, and i find that if i don't go for a walk each day then my feet will swell up -late pregnancy though, not post birth.

I perfectly understand if you don't have the energy to go for a walk, but perhaps march up and down the stairs a couple of times? try a cool foot soak?

If it doesn't go down, then ring the midwife just to double check - because there are things like Eclampsia after birth etc

Hope you're having fun with your new little bundle!

LunaticFringe Wed 22-Jun-11 16:52:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cardamomginger Thu 23-Jun-11 07:57:13

Mine did that too! They were huge and I couldn't fit into ANY of my shoes. I got really freaked out by it cos like Lunatic I was fine throughout pregnancy. If you can walk, that will help. Or just doing some foot exercises - flexing and pointing, rotating - and elevating your feet when you can will help things to go down. And yes, the night sweats (why did no one tell me about those either?!?) will get it out of you. It took over a week for me to feel almost back to normal.

Rosduk Thu 23-Jun-11 13:31:31

I had horrific swollen feet after birth. MW said it's very normal and it calmed down about a week later!

eurochick Thu 23-Jun-11 14:12:33

A friend of mine got new stretchmarks from the post birth swelling so keep moisturising!

pirateparty Thu 23-Jun-11 14:19:03

But it can also be a sign of high blood pressure even after delivery, even if your blood pressure was normal during your pregnancy. You should phone your midwife today and get her advice but think she should be checking your blood pressure today.

VeryHungryKatypillar Thu 23-Jun-11 17:54:13

Thanks everyone, still pretty swollen today. Midwife coming tomorrow so she can check the blood pressure then. Don't have any other signs that would cause concern and none of my pregnancy books mention this which is annoying!

pirateparty Sat 25-Jun-11 08:52:54

Was everything ok katypillar?

VeryHungryKatypillar Sat 25-Jun-11 10:05:05

It was thanks PP - MW not concerned and blood pressure fine. Overnight I had loads of sweats and they look much better today! Think the fluid has gone - lost 3lb overnight!!

pirateparty Sat 25-Jun-11 13:42:46

That's great to hear. The swelling I had did have a rise in blood pressure with it but then same as you it just disappeared overnight and I lost 4kg! And was so much more comfortable too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now