Talk

Advanced search

Amoxycillin for Group B Strep DURING PG??? Anyone else had this?

(9 Posts)
Tamashii Wed 22-Jun-11 13:48:03

Sorry - I have posted this in a few places to see if I can get as much advice as possible...

I am 26 weeks PG and have (once again) been diagnosed as highly colonized with Group B Strep. As my MW told me they have stopped treating you with Antibiotics via drip during labour in my area, I have been given a course of amoxycillin to take just now in the hopes it will kill of the GBS and I might not be GBS+ by the time of birth.

Anyone else been treated successfully/unsuccessfully DURING PG?? I have googled this a bit and not found too much but what I have found seems to point to the fact that IV penicillin during LABOUR is what is required.... Help please? I have also read way too much now about what can happen to the baby if he contracts a Group B Strep infection at birth and am really, really worried.

Thanks in advance for your help with this one...

vintageteacups Wed 22-Jun-11 16:12:56

I had to have IV drip during both of mine and I also had a 2 week course before labour.

You need to find out if it's just in one hospital in the area and if there's another one you go to out of area if you're set on having the IV drip.

Surely they must have got new research that shows the drip makes no difference to outcome or they'd have to give it during labour?

moregranny Wed 22-Jun-11 18:16:24

My daughter was supposed to have IV antibiotics during labour but had an emergency c section on Monday,no time to give them so both she and baby are now having them intravenously for 48 hours because they are still at risk, when her Dr suggested that she took them during pregnancy the midwife said that it wouldn't be effective, can I suggest that you look at gbss.org.uk the people are very helpful, you can phone or email and they can give you some guidance, x

moregranny Wed 22-Jun-11 18:17:06

www.gbss.org.uk

Tamashii Wed 22-Jun-11 20:52:57

Thanks very much for the replies. So far it is only really my MW who has said they have stopped with the IV AB's during labour - GP seemed to think I should still get them. I think I will get my point across but try not to be too pushy at the moment. Thanks for the link too.

TheSecondComing Wed 22-Jun-11 22:08:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clarebear1 Sat 25-Jun-11 00:15:03

I had my DS 12 weeks ago and found out half way through pregnancy that i had GBS, they gave me a course of oral antibiotics then and IV Abs during labour which was routine,i wasnt checked if i still had it.

All was ok in the end, kept in to monitor DS temp then home next day.

NewMummy5July2011 Sat 25-Jun-11 13:32:37

Hi

I'm coming up to 39 weeks and was diagnosed with this 2 weeks ago. I've taken a course of antibitoics (amoxycillin) but am also receiving the IV drip during labour as well. Have you spoken to the delivery ward at your hospital as well? I find the community midwives don't always get the info straight as alot of them don't work in hospital. I was treated by the day assessment unit at hospital rather than the midwives, and was given the hospital policy on treating Group B Strep in labour.

From what I have heard and read I'm very surprised that they wouldn't give you antibiotics during labour - and I wouldn't hesitate to be pushy. It is your baby and your baby's health - ask for a copy of the hospital policy. I've also been told if there isn't enough time to get the antibiotics during labour, or in the event of a c-section, the baby would be treated immediately after birth with antibiotics.

Good luck I really hope you get some answers. x

babyonbord Mon 27-Jun-11 11:52:19

I'm having anti biotics in labour this time round for strep the problem with it is it comes and goes, so it may not be active when you go into labour but i think they work on a better safe than sorry premise. Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic ie it will kill everything lol i wouldn't worry about it, it's very common and as long as you make sure your midwives know when you are in labour you'll be fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now