Talk

Advanced search

Confused over pain relief & positions......everything!

(6 Posts)
Icelollycraving Sat 18-Jun-11 09:39:42

I am having a big baby which is my first. I had wanted a water birth,maybe tens machine & drugs when I need them. I also wanted a fairly active labour as I felt being able to move was good. I have had consultant care through my pg & recently saw the anaesthetist. She said with my frame etc I probably would need some kind of assisted delivery,either kiwi,forceps or poss c section. I was told by first consultant early on that I'd need a c section which was then denied at every other meeting. Anaesthetist also said I'd be best to go straight to epidural & there is a sticker on notes saying get anaesthetist when I'm admitted.
I'm 38 weeks,I'm feeling a bit out of control of what will happen. I also have excess amniotic fluid so need to go in as soon as waters go.
I had apt with consultant yesterday for him to decide on the plan...his plan is wait,I'm moving about well for someone with a bump this size etc & let nature take it's course. I'm not due to see him again,went on to mw apt which was pointless. My usual one is on holiday so I saw someone else who said oh you didn't need to see us today,blah blah,don't know why you were booked in,see you next week.
God,this is a really rambley thread....I think I just feel out of control & it doesn't help that my husband is no support,that's a whole other story.
And breathe.......
Well done if you struggled through that blush

Iggly Sat 18-Jun-11 12:24:43

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Many women give birth to big babies without assistance but some don't. It sounds like your consultants etc are setting you up for an birth with a lot of intervention. There's nothing wrong with that per se but if you want an active labour, then you need to be assertive. There are risks associated with forceps, epidurals etc. C sections are also not an easy option.

An active labour is your best chance of having a positive labour experience IMO. DS was 9lb 4oz and I'm only 5'4". I didn't have any pain relief, had him at home and I was very active. I did need stitches afterwards but that was because he came out with his elbow by his face...!

Write yourself a birth plan. If you want an activ labour - you state that and tell your husband to act as advocate. If he won't, then find another birth partner if possible. You can also state that you will permit intervention only if necessary. One important thing to remember is don't lie on your back if you can help it - it bloody hurts when you do! Much better to be on all fours or standing, walking about. This helps baby move into position during labour.

gasman Mon 20-Jun-11 19:07:15

Did you see the anaesthetist because of your own high BMI rather than the size of your baby?

If so that does rather alter things.

OAA leaflet here: http://www.oaa-anaes.ac.uk/content.asp?ContentID=322

porcamiseria Mon 20-Jun-11 22:02:46

i think gasman raises a good question, but remember its about the baby not the birth. please hold onto that and whatever happens staY CALM. anything you can do to try and not be scared will really help. it may well be that you do need intervention, and so be it. but if you can try and deep breathe and relax, it DOES help, may be too late but I heartily advise "childbirth without fear" to help wth the fear. DS2 was 9.5lb and his birth was great, but DS1 was intervention and it was OK, I was just petrified! try and stay as home as long as you can and keep on movin!

best of luck

porcamiseria Mon 20-Jun-11 22:04:31

and if they give you oxytocin take the bloody epidural, as it does hurt. I say that as someone why has seen natural labour vs oxytocin labour

vicloumic Tue 21-Jun-11 13:37:00

Hi,

Firstly congratulations.... With my first i was told that i was having a big baby and im only 5ft 2inch so i started looking up things to do. Practice squats and opening up your pelvis as wide as you can (comfortably) do this as often as you can. Do perennial massage using either a natural oil or vitamin E enriched moisturiser to help prevent tearing. Also taking Rasberry leaf (either in tea or tablet form) along with evening primrose oil capsules helps your cervix to soften, thin and dialate more effectively. If you would like any more friendly tips or advice please feel free to contact me Victoria@northlondondoulas.co.uk
Congrats again and i hope all goes smoothly for you.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now