Talk

Advanced search

Will I be allowed to use the pool?

(7 Posts)
elseIlltellyourfather Fri 17-Jun-11 22:22:00

I have had SPD since just 37 weeks (luckily not before), DC2. I am now 39+2. I am on crutches most of the time now. I really want to use the pool at the hospital but mw has indicated I may not be able to. I didn't question it at the time, no idea why, so will ring her Monday to discuss further. Just wondered if anyone could help me out with further info on the decision making - is it to do with if you can get out quickly? Can they even refuse permission or just advise? Next app isn't until 40+2 which is why I want to ring her, as would be awful to turn up at hospital in established labour and have my plans thwarted without being prepared. I'd prefer to argue before labour starts, thanks very much!

PrinceHumperdink Sat 18-Jun-11 00:57:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elseIlltellyourfather Sat 18-Jun-11 13:04:13

Many thanks, I will phone my community mw Monday and try to get it sorted now, rather than at the time! I would really like to use the pool, as am worreid enough about labouring with SPD, and the thought of being in water is reassuring. How did you find labour with SPD? Did it affect it much?

MooM00 Sat 18-Jun-11 14:18:28

Can you get in and out of your bath at home? is your DP able to help you out of the pool? if so tell the MW that, and that you will not need their help to get out. The pelvic partnerchip website suggests placing a stool the sme height as the pool next to it and sitting and swinging your legs in (together).
here

I had really bad spd this time last year, as soon as labour started the pain eased and I felt a lot more mobile. I had dc3 at home ,not even gas and air. Anecdotally SPD can lead to a very short 2nd stage, in the case of dc3 it was 5 mins. I did get stuck on the floor though (gave birth kneeling then turned round) and DH had to haul me up.

PrinceHumperdink Sat 18-Jun-11 14:19:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tangle Sat 18-Jun-11 18:06:24

Given you're quite far on I'd be pretty pro-active. I'd contact AIMS to see if they have details on what general advice there is for SPD and waterbirth. If you either can't get hold of your CMW or she is unhelpful I'd call the labour ward and ask their opinion. If its still a vague "no but not sure why", or no with an explanation but you don't agree with it - ask for an appointment (possibly telephone) with the Head of Midwifery and ask her to explain why they'll deny you access to the pool even though all the SPD specific advice says water birth is beneficial as enhances mobility*

(* I think that's consistent with what I've read, but its not something I've had to look into for myself so do check with AIMS first)

How many pools do they have at the hospital? At ours they have a pool in 1 out of 8 rooms, which is allocated on a first come first served basis. Its also in one of the two "home from home" rooms, so if both those rooms are in use you also can't use the pool - even if the pool isn't actually being used. Do you know how many women who request a waterbirth are able to have one at your unit? As it is their facility they can refuse you access to their pool (they cannot force intervention upon you, but neither can you demand care). If a water birth is very important to you, have you considered a homebirth (they can't stop you getting in your own pool in your own home!) or looked at any other maternity units/birth centres? I know the birth centre nearest us has a pool in every room, complete with hoists wink and their use is encouraged - if your only complication is SPD they may well accept you. I realise its late in the day to be thinking about changing plans to that degree, but it might be the lesser of the evils...

Good luck smile

elseIlltellyourfather Sat 18-Jun-11 18:20:55

Thanks so much to you all, especially tangle, I will get onto the case. Gives me something to focus on now I am stuck at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now