Talk

Advanced search

Insulin Injections for GD - is it likely my baby will be born early ?

(4 Posts)
mummysweeangel1 Fri 10-Jun-11 19:05:48

Hi folks, looking for some advice, was diagnosed with GD a few weeks ago- put on metformin- they didnt work- now been put on insulin injections 4 times a day- dosage increased the past 2 days as sugar levels havent came down -

i originally had a C section booked for 39 weeks for other reasons than the GD- however i am wondering now if this would probably be brought forward a week because of the injections and the fact that they have told me my baby is gonna be huge -

this is my 2nd baby, first DS was born at 38 weeks - emergency C section- weighing 9lb 11oz

debka Fri 10-Jun-11 20:16:36

AFAIK if your GD is diet controlled they'll induce/do cs at 40wks, if it's insulin controlled it's at 38wks.

How far along are you? Was it a late diagnosis of GD? If not, and your diabetes is well controlled, there is no reason why the baby should be too huge.

midori1999 Sat 11-Jun-11 17:59:02

It varies from hospital to hospital.

My second DS was born spontaneously and vaginally at 38 weeks weighing 10lb exactly, I didn't have GD then.

This is my 6th baby, I have GD and have been insulin controlled (slow acting at night then fast acting with meals) since 25 weeks. Even with the insulin, my levels haven't been especially well controlled and my last two scans (today and last Weds) have estimated baby is around 7lb now, so by no means huge. Scans are just an estimate though and a lady on another forum I use who had GD has just had her baby and he was 3lbs less than they'd estimated!

My hospital are happy to monitor closely from 36 weeks (after which time things are more likely to start going wrong) and see what happens regarding when to deliver and how. Some hospitals insist on delivery at 38 weeks once you are on insulin regardless.

I'm booked for induction at 38+3 unless they need to deliver me before then, but that was at my repeated request.

harrygracejessica Sat 11-Jun-11 19:59:53

I was insulin controlled and with twins and was booked infor 38 weeks, would be 39 weeks for a singleton here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now