Talk

Advanced search

Home birth without pool?

(20 Posts)
philbee Thu 09-Jun-11 18:32:39

Hi. This is probably a dumb question, but is anyone around who has had a home birth and not hired a birthing pool? I am early pg with no 2, and would like to have this one at home. I had dd in water in a hospital midwife unit, which was nice. But I feel otoh that the pool at home would be a lot of expense and faff, and oto that I'd be a bit worried about whether it provided a bit of pain relief with dd's birth that I'd struggle without. I was only in it for pushing with dd and that was only about 15 mins. Any experiences?

brightermornings Thu 09-Jun-11 18:34:22

I had a home birth with dc2. It was amazing. So nice being able to get in your own bed afterwards. My midwives were very supportive. Best thing I ever did.
I had gas and air only needed half a canister.

nannyl Thu 09-Jun-11 18:40:18

Pools dont have to be expensive

Im going for a homebirth (all things continuing to be well etc) and i got a birth pool in a box, WITH a sterile liner, and all the pumps / hoses / tap adapters, non slip waterproof floor mat etc etc(the whole entire lot) for £32 on ebay.

after my hopefully 2 or 3 children ill stick it back on ebay!

It only takes 5 mins to inflate, though am expecting it to take 45mins or so to fill.

WishIWasRimaHorton Thu 09-Jun-11 18:43:26

i had a homebirth and no birthing pool. and no gas and air either. just good old grunting and yelling got me through grin

had wanted a waterbirth with DS (#1) but ended up getting to the birthing centre fully dilated and having been pushing for 30mins of the 45 min drive. so second time round i didn't even bother thinking about having one because i thought it would be a waste of time as labour would be over by the time it would have been filled. and i had managed #1 on no pain relief at all, so assumed it would be fine for #2. and it was!

pooka Thu 09-Jun-11 18:45:57

I had a homebirth without a pool with ds2.

I hadn't previously had a pool for labour No. 1 so didn't feel the benefit. However- I did have an epidural and pethidine with my first, and nothing at all apart from a glass of wine and 2 paracetemol with ds2!

twofalls Thu 09-Jun-11 19:01:15

Homebirth with dd2 and couldn't be arsed with the faff of a pool. It was fine to be honest. I spent a lot of time I'm the shower in early stages but after that simply being in my own space was calming enough. I did use lavender oil on a flannel to smell and that was very soothing. When the midwife arrived she commented on the lovely arouma.

Sorry, slightly off topic. Good luck, whatever you decide.

philbee Thu 09-Jun-11 19:17:09

I think it's the faff more than the expense, tbh. I feel like I might be getting rid of the anxiety about when to go to hospital only to replace with anxiety about when to fill the pool. Also our floors are joists and not super strong. With dd I had a very long first stage, several days, and I managed that on paracetamol. It was just the pushing that I was in the water for, and tbh I'd forgotten by then that there was a pool. So I think it would be ok, but just not sure (but when are you ever sure, right?). Thanks for all the replies, v helpful.

sc2987 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:42:06

Me. No pool, no pain, no midwife smile Maybe the bath would be OK for parts where you didn't want to be active, if you did decide you wanted to be in the water.

philbee Fri 10-Jun-11 07:16:29

Sc2987 - no MIDWIFE? Was that deliberate?

MooM00 Fri 10-Jun-11 10:39:43

I didn't want a pool for my homebirth as I thought DH would spend all his time checking the pool was ok and that I wouldn't get enough attention. I was fine , didn't even get onto the gas and air but it was a pretty easy birth.

melrose Fri 10-Jun-11 10:45:34

I had no pool for my home birth, althought I did consider it. Decided to get in our large bath intsead, DH ran it, I got in, stayed in for 2 mins and hated the sensation of being in the water so demanded to get straight out again. DH v pleased I hadn't bought a pool!!

Planning a dry home birth for no.3

Good luck!

MotherPanda Fri 10-Jun-11 10:47:24

You could always just use the bath for pain relief - might be a bit tricky to give birth in it, but you might not want to anyway smile

SingingSands Fri 10-Jun-11 10:52:48

I don't think a birthing pool is a requirement for a home birth! It's just fashionable to have one.

I would be the same as you - couldn't be bothered with finding a place to put it, worried that my older kids would try to convert it to their own personal indoor pool, worried that DH would spend ages faffing around filling it/taking temperature, worried that we don't have the room for it and it would possibly be in the way for 2 weeks until baby arrives... knowing that DH is a lazy arse and wouldn't get round to putting it away!

coldcomfortHeart Fri 10-Jun-11 12:52:38

I don't have enough hot water in my archaic heating system for a pool- but am planning a home birth. Like others have said, there's always the shower, bath, TENS, G&A, keeping mobile, and just being at home, which is the main bit!

jennylindinha Fri 10-Jun-11 13:07:11

I had DD at home with no pool and it was fine. I'm quite into water/swimming etc but for some reason I just really could not imagine using a pool, so that worked out well because we live on the first floor of an old house and I don't know if the joists could have taken it! Imagine falling into the flat below whilst in your pool!

I managed just using Tens and walking around. I was pretty dilated by the time the midwife arrived and never even got any gas and air either, so felt a bit shortchanged there as everyone told me how good it is.

Good luck with your birth smile

sparkle12mar08 Fri 10-Jun-11 14:08:18

Both my births have been homebirths without pools. Never wanted a pool either for that matter. Waste of space, money, and energy for me personally. I just wanted to be in my home, couldn't have cared less about a bit of water smile Go for it, pools are not a requirement of homebirths if you don't want one!

BumpPlus2 Fri 10-Jun-11 16:58:05

Hi,
I have had HB's with both my DC's. I spent the entire time in the bath with the 1st so got a pool for the 2nd (£75 all in from a friend of a friend who never got to use it)...you don't have to spend loads and you can always sell it on after.
However I have to say the pool was a fair bit of faff and took my DH away from me wink with pumping up and filling etc for a good hour which was a pain - also my birthing was very quick so I was only in for 60 mins before baby was born and as he beat the midwives to it I had to lift out of the water as due to the speed of everything we weren't able to control the temperature on our own...I am pregnant with DC3 now and in 2 minds about bothering this time - but it's there if I decide to go ahead.
Good Luck grin

octopusinabox Fri 10-Jun-11 17:12:39

I've had 2 home births without a pool. I wasn't too fussed about being in water although I did have one for the second as people raved about how good they are but it didn't make it out of the packet as that birth was so fast.

For pain relief I had tens for the 1st (useless) then gas and air (also useless) and just gas and air for my second (useful distraction and aid to concentration).

philbee Sat 11-Jun-11 07:35:34

All really encouraging, thank you. With dd I did get in the bath a couple of times during the first stage and that was either fine or irritating, but i got out after ten mins or so, so I wouldn't say water was very soothing to me for that bit.

Taking DH away would be a big problem for me, as he rubbed my back for every contraction and that was what got me through really. I also found TENS irritating and useless. So I guess it's just the paracetamol, good firm back rub and gas and air then!

Truckdriver Sat 11-Jun-11 08:35:08

Another here with a HB for my first born, no pool. At the time we were living in a smallish flat so there was no room. I was quiet anxious about it but on the day I got myself on all fours on our bed and would NOT budge and was happy there. Well perhaps 'happy' is not the best word.

I had a bath in the early stages but once my contractions cranked up it irritated me so got out as wanted to use the TENS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now