Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had 3 CS? Is it just too dangerous?

(19 Posts)
Hope88 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:38:21

I am thinking about having 3 children but it would probably have to be CS again. I am a bit scared to go through it 3 times. Has anyone been through it? Was it O.K.? I am an older mum as well so it might just be too much?

fraktious Wed 08-Jun-11 12:43:29

My mother did and she was counted as an 'older' mother. That was 20 odd years ago.

She has, however, subsequently had a hysterectomy due to problems which may have partly been caused by the build up of scar tissue even though they went in through the same incision every time.

beachyhead Wed 08-Jun-11 12:48:27

I have, first one an emergency (31 yrs old), second and third elective (35 and 39 yrs old). No problems to date.... I think it is more about the length of time between the ops rather than your age....Mine are quite spaced out....

anchovies Wed 08-Jun-11 12:53:22

I have, no problems at all other than the last one took a bit longer due to a lot of scar tissue needing to be removed. My first two were failed inductions but no option with the third but to have another section, two year gap between each one. Perhaps discuss with your GP/consultant before TTC if you're concerned?

acatcalledbob Wed 08-Jun-11 13:13:09

I think Victoria Beckham has had 3 CSs and is no doubt heading for a 4th.... She's probably an "older mum" too.

silverangel Wed 08-Jun-11 13:24:43

A friend of mine has had 3 CS, third at +40, she had the best experience and I dont think she was ever told it would be risky. She went into early labour before cs date with the third, went to hospital and they did the section.

wineisfine Wed 08-Jun-11 13:26:09

I've had three, including two within a year (supposedly a massive no-no).

All babies fine.

mrsravelstein Wed 08-Jun-11 13:30:04

i've had 3, two emergencies and the third was elective.

i asked the consultant about getting sterilised at the same time, and he wouldn't do it, he said it varies quite a bit from one woman to another in terms of scar tissue, but that he saw no problem with me having a 4th one (dh promptly went out and had a vasectomy, as he did have a problem with me having a 4th one smile)

mrsravelstein Wed 08-Jun-11 13:31:01

oh, and i was 37 at the last one, i'm not sure if that counts as 'older' or not!

feckwit Wed 08-Jun-11 13:32:50

I've had 4 with no real issues, please feel free to pm me or ask more questions!

Mitchell81 Wed 08-Jun-11 13:49:02

I have had one emergency and 2 electives and next section will be next week or week after. After third section I asked the surgeon and he said no problem to have another, although was not planning to have anymore children. But changed our minds, will be asking the same question this time although will definetley not be having 5 children.blush

graciousenid Wed 08-Jun-11 14:44:11

I've got my 4th booked for next Friday smile No problems with the previous three, I'm 36 now.

The main risks associated with repeat sections are that the placenta might implant over the scar (accreta etc), scar tissue from the repeat sections means that it might (hasn't so far in my case) take longer to get to the uterus & there is a greater chance of damage to other organs (bladder & bowel). There is also an increased risk of bleeding if the lower uterine segment is particularly thin & only weakly contracts - this means that there is a risk of hysterectomy if the bleeding is uncontrollable by other methods.

Having a third & forth section hasn't been regarded as a big deal by any of my doctors - particularly once the position of the placenta was established. I have a friend who has just had her 6th section!

PalazzoPants Wed 08-Jun-11 14:45:47

I know a few women who have had 3 sections with no problems. A close friend had her fourth section a month ago without problems, and a mum at DS's school is about to have her sixth!

Hope88 Wed 08-Jun-11 20:30:23

Thank you for all your answers. It sounds as if it should not be a problem.

FrameyMcFrame Wed 08-Jun-11 20:41:39

my ex mil had 6 sections!!! She is a G.P too (and catholic) which may explain something.
She used to joke that she'd had a zip put in smile

Mytholmroyd Wed 08-Jun-11 20:52:51

I've had four between the ages of 30 and 45 - first two emergency, second two elective (fourth was a little mistake gift from god) blush

Not had any major or long term problems. Recovery and mobility after them actually got easier as I went along - probably due in part to better pain relief.

girlfromdownsouth Thu 09-Jun-11 14:53:10

My friend has had 3 problem free c/s. First was an emergency, 2nd and 3rd elective. Her 1st and 2nd were only 16 months apart and her 3rd was 3yrs after that when she was 41. And she is still a skinny bitch friend!!

harrygracejessica Thu 09-Jun-11 15:31:15

ive had 3, first 2 were 15 months apart and 2nd pregnancy was twins, then 2 years later another set of twins. I didnt recover as quickly the 3rd time but i had other problems which didnt help.

Hope88 Thu 09-Jun-11 17:27:48

Thank you all so much. It is very encouraging.

harrygracejessica Are you saying you had 5 children under the age of 4? shock Well done for surviving!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now