Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Going into shock after birth? Anyone else?

(4 Posts)
lottytheladybird Wed 08-Jun-11 11:44:37

I gave birth to my DS almost a year ago now. A couple of hours after the birth, when the midwife started to stitch up my 2nd degree tear, I began 'bleeding profusely' (her words). I soon went into shock and my arms & legs were flailing around uncontrollably. This lasted a couple of hours. I was in immense pain, but no one knew what was happening to me. In the end, they gave me morphine, which brought me out of shock.

We're now thinking about having a second baby, but I'm scared that the same will happen again. Has this happened to anyone before? If so, have you gone on to have a subsequent complication-free delivery?

(I don't want to scare anyone who's about to give birth. My midwife, who had 30 years' experience, had never seen this happen before. So it's really rare.)

lilibet Wed 08-Jun-11 11:52:19

This happened to me after my second baby, ds1. I was so scared at the time because I knew that it wasn't normal as it didn't happen to me with dd. The limbs shaking and going everywhere was dreadful, I really thought that I was going to die.

I was very worried when I got pregnant for the third time but it was the best labour of the three, all lovely and calm and went perfectly to plan.

You will be fine smile go for it!

lottytheladybird Wed 08-Jun-11 12:14:40

Yes, the limbs flailing around was horrible. I thought I might die, too, especially as no one seemed to know what was happening and therefore nothing was being done to help me (other than holding down my limbs) for a long time.

How long were you in that state for and what did they do to help you?

I'm SO pleased to hear that you've gone on to have another baby and that it all went well.

EldritchCleavage Wed 08-Jun-11 16:01:37

My mother, with me. Her next birth was absolutely fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: