Talk

Advanced search

40 +6 Please tell me that babies DO arrive eventually!

(12 Posts)
frida75 Wed 08-Jun-11 10:52:22

Tried all the old wives tales. Had a stretch 'n' sweep. Got another today. Want a home birth. Incapable of writing longer sentences. Please stop me from going mental.

Piggyleroux Wed 08-Jun-11 10:53:55

My ds arrived at 41 weeks exactly. I feel your pain. Big hugs and brew

hairypotter Wed 08-Jun-11 11:05:33

Dd2 arrived at 40 + 10. Was very huge and very fed up. She would have been +11 as they didn't want to induce me on a Sunday. Lovely midwife caved in when I got totally hysterical a wee upset at the news, and said she would bend the rules. If it helps, she was born 20 mins after they broke my waters grin

hairypotter Wed 08-Jun-11 11:07:17

A wee bit upset!! Feck

Olivetti Wed 08-Jun-11 12:57:11

My DD was born 41 weeks exactly. Not sure whether this is to be recommended, but after days of being totally fed up, I kind of forgot about it as DH and I went shopping on the King's Road, and I bought some treats and some DVDs to ease the boredom, then we went to a bar and I had potato wedges and a glass of wine. Went to bed very content, planning to spend the next day watching Dynasty box set blush, woke up at 6am and my hind waters had gone. 36 hours later (sorry!!) DD born!

FoofffyShmoofffer Wed 08-Jun-11 13:04:23

Was booked in for an induction at 8.30 am at 40+13. The day before I spent the entire day scrubbing the house. Skirtings, cupboards you name it. The night before started with contractions. Had DD 9.30 am on 40+13.

They do come eventually. Promise. (and they are usually mahooooosive when they do)grin

reikizen Wed 08-Jun-11 13:15:39

There is very little evidence to support pregnancy being 40 weeks exactly, one study found that the average length for a first pregnancy was 41 weeks and 3 days and 40 weeks and 3 days for subsequent pregnancies. All women are different and unique, Wickham (2006) analysed 13 major trials and found that prolonged pregnancy is not a risk and other research points out that induction has little impact on the overall stillbirth rate as most occur before 41 weeks (when NICE recommends induction). Most midwives will be happy to support homebirth until term +10 but these are in effect arbitrary limits so your midwife/unit may feel differently.
Have a look at the research, choose a 'watch and wait' approach if you want to where you have twice weekly monitoring until sprog arrives. On a personal note dd1 was born at term+17 and dd2 at term+10 (at home, with the help (possibly, who knows?) of castor oil. Disclaimer - don't try castor oil, not recommended by midwives grin

reikizen Wed 08-Jun-11 13:16:54

Olivetti's story about a glass of wine is pretty good advice tbh. At least you will get a good night's sleep.

Olivetti Wed 08-Jun-11 13:33:41

My only slight fear was that I'd go into labour that night and end up at the hospital with wine on my breath, resulting in DD swept off by Social Service upon birth!!

EggyAllenPoe Wed 08-Jun-11 13:40:06

in our area (SE UK) homebirth is advised until 40+14...even after then, they have to turn up if you don't go in..

only 3% get to 40+14 anyway...

you don't have to agree to induction, NICE say they are meant to offer a choice betwen that and expectant management.

frida75 Wed 08-Jun-11 13:45:13

Thanks for your replies! just had stretch and sweep and been booked for induction on the 14th - but midwife said I can change my mind and go over if I agree to be monitored.

This is my third and other two were 40+4 and 40+5 so I shouldn't be surprised really. Ho hum, back on my birth ball for a bit of a bounce then!

mrsravelstein Wed 08-Jun-11 13:46:48

ds2 was 40+12 when i finally went into labour, and 40+14 when he finally arrived...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now