Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Do they c-section breech babies earlier?

(20 Posts)
AnytimeNOW Tue 07-Jun-11 15:26:46

I'm booked to have elective at 39+1, as have already had 2 emergency sections.
At midwife check last week, they said baby had turned from head down to breech (I'm 32 weeks today) anybody know if this will make a difference to section date?...have been looking on google and some say they deliver baby earlier? and there is more chance of problems with breech?...any advice would be great thanks.

JetLi Tue 07-Jun-11 16:31:48

I believe they will section earlier - mainly to be sure you don't go into labour spontaneously.

BionicEmu Tue 07-Jun-11 16:36:27

I'm sure there are people better qualified to answer this, but a friend of mine had a planned section due to her baby being breech at 39 weeks (was breech at 38weeks MW appt, referred to consultant and planned section at 39 weeks). At 32 weeks, there's plenty of time for baby to turn yet. I would guess that it will all depend on your doc and why you had emergency sections in the past though/why you're having a section this time. Not sure about chance of more problems - many, many sections are done "simply" because the baby is breech. Hopefully others have better advice, good luck!

asdx2 Tue 07-Jun-11 16:41:29

I was c sectioned at 39 weeks with breech ds2 who had turned at 34 weeks. Ds1 was a natural birth at 37 weeks but they were unconcerned that ds2 might be early too.

AnytimeNOW Tue 07-Jun-11 17:05:42

I had the previous sections due to lack of progress in first birth and baby being distressed, and was diagnosed with small pelvis CPD after second section.
So I have to have a section this time anyway, but was wondering if they plan it earlier as going into labour would result in yet another emergency sad really hoping for a better experience this final time...

Tangle Tue 07-Jun-11 17:15:18

When DD1was breech 4 hrs ago, IIRC they offered a CS at 39 weeks. I think they try not to do a CS any earlier then they have to as, whilst term is considered 37 - 42 weeks, not all babies are fully cooked at the lower end of that scale.

That said, there are risks and benefits to any course of action at any time. If you think you are going to be getting very worried through the 38th week then discuss it with your consultant. Even if they have strong views about not bringing the date forward, they should at least be able to explain what medicalnreason is behind those views.

reikizen Tue 07-Jun-11 17:23:19

39 weeks usually in my trust, if you come in labouring they will section you earlier obviously. It would be classed as an emergency but in reality you would have plenty of time from noticing your first contraction as you would obviously go in straight away. Good luck.

COCKadoodledooo Tue 07-Jun-11 17:39:13

Ds2 was breech and born by elcs at 39+4, the earliest date available and a week after the scan that confirmed he was breech.

When the mw rang up to get me in for a scan at my 38 week appointment as she wasn't sure on his presentation (I was 38+3 then) she was told the earliest routine scan slot they had was 4 weeks away shock - she said we'd know for sure before then grin

I suspect they won't change your date but it depends on the policy of your hospital. Good luck!

buttonmoon78 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:41:50

Anytime if they won't bring the date forward, but you go into labour before that then if you previously failed to progress it is unlikely to be an emergency (crash) section. The only reason it would be an emergency is because it hadn't been scheduled for that day but would probably be as calm as an elcs.

In my trust its 38wks generally.

QTPie Tue 07-Jun-11 21:37:37

DS was footling breech (but also a bit transverse)- born by scheduled ELCS at 39 + 1.

I was told that, if I went into labour before my section date, I should go in straight away for an "immediate ELCS"

cupofteaplease Tue 07-Jun-11 21:38:46

My sister had a section booked at 39 weeks for her son's birth as he was breech, but he decided to come early, so her section was classed as EMCS. However, my sister said it was calm enough.

My dd was undiagnosed breech in labour at 40+11 and after 13 hours of labour resulted in an EMCS- grr! Wish they'd picked it up earlier! (sorry, that was OT.)

headfairy Tue 07-Jun-11 21:40:22

My ds was also footling and I had him by elcs at 39+1. I was also told that if I went in to labour I should get straight in to hospital, and try to keep on all fours with bum in the air shock Freaked me right out.

buttonmoon78 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:58:00

QTPie my dc is also footling breech but also a bit transverse - I'm loving that turn of phrase! Currently sits on my L hip with one foot tap dancing on my cervix and the other foot wriggling into that really ticklish place under the ribs on my R. Head is wedge up under my R ribs.

Am hypermobile myself but I shudder at the thought of the contortions it must be doing to achieve that!

Tamlin Thu 09-Jun-11 18:21:02

I went into labour with a footling breech (only diagnosed three days before, mind you) at just 37 weeks. Called the ambulance when I felt the feet coming down, and whizzed right in for a speedy section (and they didn't mess around getting me in there). I stayed on my back with pillows jammed under my pelvis to elevate it, bit like a pilates bridge position.

The original ELCS (hah, 'elective', nobody was going to touch a vaginal delivery with a footling) was scheduled for 38 and a half weeks.

kiwijesta Fri 10-Jun-11 07:04:43

My dd was breech and they wanted to do the ELCS at 39 weeks but due to lack of space I had her at 38+1. Good luck, not including the stressful "we've got no spaces for your CS chat" I had a very positive birth experience .

VivaLeBeaver Fri 10-Jun-11 07:17:27

I doubt it, new RCOG guidelines are very clear saying that no elective sections should be done before 29 weeks due to the risk of Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Any babies that are sectioned before 39 weeks then mum should be given 2 doses of steroid injections in the days leading up to the section.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 10-Jun-11 07:17:46

Sorry - 39 weeks NOT 29 weks.

buttonmoon78 Fri 10-Jun-11 07:32:58

Damn. I know they'll induce me at 38 happily and had banked on 38 for section too (which is looking increasingly likely due to position etc).

Got childcare mostly sorted and everything!

I guess the labour stimulating breathing thing is quite important then...

AnytimeNOW Fri 10-Jun-11 09:38:01

Thanks ladies! Im sure my baby is now sideways!!, so uncomfortable!...my other babies never got into such a difficult position...Im wondering if the two previous sections followed by surgery to remove all the overhang has left me with a weird shaped womb, abdomen?.

Buttonmoon whats the labour stimulating breathing? smile.

buttonmoon78 Fri 10-Jun-11 10:09:38

Ow - Mine is breech/transverse so I feel your pain anytime! As far as I know, it's more to do with lax muscles (previous babies) than with previous sections.

Apparently, babies born 'early' vaginally are less likely to suffer breathing probs as contractions stimulate the lungs ready to breathe whereas with a section they get no 'warning' that they're about to be expected to breathe.

Don't ask me where I read that. I can't remember where I put my car keys an hour ago let alone things like that wink

I'm still hoping for a section at 38wks though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: