Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Sweep or not sweep

(12 Posts)
caz05 Tue 07-Jun-11 14:05:07

I am due for my 40 week check tomorrow and my due date would be the following day and last time I saw the mid wife they said they could offer a sweep if I wanted one. This is my second child and I didn't need one first time round as he was 10 days early but this one seems be firmly stuck inside with no signs of wanting to come out. I have heard that sweeps can be painful and possible make labour pains worse etc. Does anyone have any experiences with sweeps?

mejon Tue 07-Jun-11 14:42:59

I had one at 41 weeks. Didn't feel a thing really - unfortunatley it didn't work either so ended up with an induction at 12 days over. Hope things get going for you soon.

emma87 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:45:07

hi, i had 2 sweeps and neither of them were painful at all, just a little uncomfortable really but i didnt have any after pains either. although they didnt work for me and i ended up being induced as well. But i know plenty of people who it did work for, and no-one i know suffered any pain. I definately think its worth a go, there's no harm in trying, it could work for you and might trigger a natural labour so you dont have to be induced! at the very least your midwife will get a proper idea of whats happening with your cervix and whether anythings started to happen at all.
Talk through with your midwife any concerns you have about it and they will be able to reassure you and fully explain the procedure.
i remember how nervous i was before my sweep and i felt abit silly afterwards because it really was fine and without it i wouldnt of known that my cervix was 'unfavourable' lol.
Good luck whatever you decide!

MmeBlueberry Tue 07-Jun-11 22:47:02

Not sweep. It justs gives you irritable little contractions that do not dilate the cervix.

Plus, any kind of induction has it's risks.

FlubbaBubba Tue 07-Jun-11 22:49:12

I had 5! shock from 39 weeks (as baby was clearly going to be huge). Baby came 6 days late. Sweeps (for me) were a) very uncomfortable and b) clearly useless.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:50:03

I had three sweeps and i think the third one worked- went into labour the next morning. It certainly wasn't a pleasant experience but my daughter arrived three days after due date and it was a first baby. I would be happy to have one with my next baby too.

MmeBlueberry Tue 07-Jun-11 22:51:02

They are going to 'work' eventually.

FlubbaBubba Tue 07-Jun-11 22:51:55

Sweeps are good if you're ready to go into labour (physically I mean) - it can help speed things along. If your body's not ready, it won't make a jot of difference afaik.

hellymelly Tue 07-Jun-11 23:02:20

I hated mine,it hurt like hell ,truly,and accomplished nothing except setting me on the road to a c-section.I would leave your baby to come when he/she is ready.

caz05 Thu 09-Jun-11 11:31:12

Well I had my appointment and was offered a sweep but decided not to take it and will wait for nature to take its course (hopefully). Due date is today and still no sign of the new arrival wanting to make an entrance. Next week they will look at inductions if no sign

FlubbaBubba Thu 09-Jun-11 16:57:24

Good luck. keep us posted...

Aloha31 Fri 10-Jun-11 04:11:07

I am 42+2 (!!) and had a sweep 2 days ago - it was in no way uncomfortable, just felt pressure.

I though it could be a way to avoid possible further intervention, and am having some very mild contractions since yesterday evening (first baby).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: