Talk

Advanced search

How did you know you were in labour?

(10 Posts)
LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Tue 07-Jun-11 10:52:59

And when did it all kick off? Did you go to hospital immediately?

vvviola Tue 07-Jun-11 10:58:57

My waters broke at 36+4. I'd had "indigestion" all day. I went to hospital immediately as there was a fair amount of blood and when DH called the MW to check what we should do she was concerned and said to come in.

They thought about sending me home as when the MW checked me I wasn't dilated at all, but decided to let me walk the corridors a bit and have a shower and then they'd check me again. I had DD 3 hours later (and I'm very glad they decided not to send me home, as we were minimum 30 minutes drive from the hospital - could have ended up being quite a close thing!).

This time around I've been told if my waters go, to go straight in (even though we're only 10 minutes from the hospital this time, doc doesn't want to take the risk of an unplanned home birth)

nunnie Tue 07-Jun-11 11:12:09

I got the trots and cramps (not severe) but I rang delivery suite and was told to come in, and glad I did as I was 5cms when I arrived and was pushing within 15 minutes.

With DS I had cramps the increased in frequency so I rang and due to being only 36 weeks they told me to get checked, I arrived pushing.

With number 1 it was about 11ish I think in the evening.
With DS it was around 6am in the morning.

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Tue 07-Jun-11 12:39:20

I just don't know what to think any more. I've had so many false alarms with problems (and other real problems) that I can't be sure what is going on. I'm so confused.

Awake lots last night with contractions. They have mostly gone today. Had a scan anyway this morning. Consultant said to keep and eye out, head is fully engaged, but stomach quite soft so probably fine.

Been to the loo (TMI) a lot. Lower back ache. Really painful to walk. Feel sick.

I'm a worrier as I've suffered a stillbirth, so I can't help but think it's all in my head. But what if it isn't? I'm supposed to be having an ELCS in 10 days (37+3 now).

At what point to I go back in? Hospital is half an hour away and I have DD. If it were easier I'd just go in for a trace to make sure, but it's tricky. What to do? Please advise. smile

Cutelittlecatlover Tue 07-Jun-11 13:00:43

It may be nothing but it sounds like you're going to worry if you don't get checked out. Is there any chance of your cmw coming to check you over to save you having to go in?

WriterofDreams Tue 07-Jun-11 13:04:35

Is your partner around? Or anyone that you could leave DD with? I'd say if you're worried definitely go in. I went a few times with things that turned out to be nothing and they were really really nice to me. I'm sure if they know you've suffered a stillbirth before they will be very understanding. It's worth the hassle just to put your mind at rest.

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jun-11 13:08:25

If the baby is still moving the normal amount that you're used to, I'd ask for a community midwife to come round and examine you and then you can make a decision together about whether you need to go in.

If you are concerned about movement, feel unwell or do need the reassurance of the trace, don't think twice about going in.

I'm so sorry about the stillbirth. Of course this is making you worried, you have experienced a terrible thing.

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Tue 07-Jun-11 13:33:21

DH is at work (1 hour away). A friend is 20 mins away, so could come, but I don't want to waste her time on her day off, she has a toddler too.
I haven't seen a CM since I complained about her (trying to persuade me to have a homebirth against consultant advice and my wishes) at 16 weeks, so not sure about ringing them.
Just tried to have a nap but couldn't sleep (DD is asleep).
Baby is moving fine, the scan this morning showed that everything is OK. I just feel strange...
Had a couple more contractions, but they aren't really strong. More in my back really, if that makes sense? Definitely not regular.

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Tue 07-Jun-11 19:29:22

I went in.
Waited for an hour and a half. Cried. They did a trace. I am contracting but not regularly. Go home. I asked them to check for dilation (as consultant said to). They didn't. Home again. Fucked off.

WriterofDreams Tue 07-Jun-11 19:41:46

Oh dear Loopy, sorry it didn't go so well sad It is sooo frustrating being where you're at at the moment. I had the same thing with DS - weeks and weeks of on and off contractions and it nearly did my head in. Of course you have the added worry of the previous stillbirth playing on your mind. Why wouldn't they check you? You're term so there's no worry that fiddling around would bring on labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now