Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Was this a typical birth experience?

(7 Posts)
newportstateofmind Mon 06-Jun-11 23:26:38

DH and I are currently thinking about going for baby #2, and it's got me thinking back to the birth of DS. Just wondering what people think about whether my experience was good/bad/par for the course.

Birth plan (ha!) was a water birth at a midwife led unit, but waters broke and contractions didn't start so that was out of the question. Luckily though they did start within 24 hours so I didn't have to be induced.

First stage of labour was very straightforward, midwife was lovely, she examined me and said I was 2-3cm dilated. Then the shift changeover took place!! Contractions started getting much more intense and I told the new midwife that I would like some gas and air. She said that as I had been examined quite recently (about 45 mins previously I think), and had only been 3cm then, she didn't think pain relief was necessary. (Is that normal - shouldn't I have been the judge of that???) When she did examine me again, about an hour and a half later, she said, "Well the good news is you're fully dilated!" At this point I was then offered gas and air.

After that it all went a bit downhill, DS's head was at a difficult angle and so I ended up having an EMCS. To be honest though, by that point I couldn't care less how he was born, and the spinal block taking effect was the best feeling in the world!!

But what I'm wondering is, should I have been given pain relief as soon as I asked for it? Is is typical for midwives to try to 'hold off' as long as possible? Should I have just been more assetive? What do you think?

Sorry for the long post.

michelleseashell Mon 06-Jun-11 23:44:53

A similar thing happened to me. I was examined on arrival and was 4cm. I told the new shift guys in town that I wanted gas and air about half an hour later and they wheeled it down. Then I decided in the next half an hour that I wanted the pethedine rolled in too. They asked me a whole bunch of are you sure you're sures but I was very sure so they gave me that too. No further examinations done. Baby's head appeared about two hours after that. I think you and your birth partner just need to be very forceful about what pain relief you want otherwise they try and bully you out of it.

StealthPolarBear Mon 06-Jun-11 23:52:29

Yes IME
I do think they like to hold off the pain relief as it can lead to cascade of interventions, but I liked my TENS machine, walking around, swearing loudly and gas and air for the final bit

StealthPolarBear Mon 06-Jun-11 23:54:42

TBH I'm glad I was bullied. I know it's not the same for everyone but there's a fine line to be drawn between strongly discouraging and denying.
With DC2 I went into hospital convinced I was giving birth. I was 2cm. While I was in I had a sweep. All the staff (apart from one, and MNers) were saying I'd be back in the morning. We got home. I sent DH to bed. 45 mins later I woke him up - he told me I wouldn't bemuch further along and we'd be sent home again. we got there, I was examined and was almost 10cm

newportstateofmind Tue 07-Jun-11 00:14:50

Sounds like I need to toughen up a bit then! I can see what you mean SPB about midwives wanting to prevent escalation of interventions, but I think next time (hopefully!) I'll definitely be more assertive and insist on what I think I need.

Thanks for the replies.

bosch Tue 07-Jun-11 00:25:42

Sounds a bit similar to me. Labour ward was v busy when I went in to have ds1. The mw wasn't around long enough to really show me how to use gas and air, and when dh told her that I wasn't coping with the pain she said something like 'well it will hurt, she's having a baby'. I went on to have pethidine and epidural and emcs as ds1 was op, stuck and eventually distressed.

Happily next time round I had vbac, the mw was with us the whole time (except when she had a 15 min break, pointedly mentioning to dh that dh's have sometimes been known to have a go at the gas and air when the mw is out of the room?!?) and she showed me how gas and air really works and so I didn't need any other pain relief.

Defo be more assertive!

Rosduk Tue 07-Jun-11 00:33:03

I had exactly the same experience as the op except dd was born by forceps instead of emcs. The spinal felt amazing!!! They refused to check how dilated I was until I screamed that i need to push and found out I was 8cm then dd got stuck. DP says I was a real trooper until they waved the spinal in my face at 10cm then apparently I whimpered 'help me, please help me!!'

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: