Talk

Advanced search

14 days post ELCS....

(8 Posts)
Jellyrollgumdrop Mon 06-Jun-11 13:50:19

and ive had a stinker of a cough for the past 7 days which I think has now gone into my chest. Im in agony when I have to cough & try to 'protect' the wound as much as possible but am worried incase I burst my stitches. The wound on the outside is nice & clean but its just sore to one side. Ive started taking the painkillers they gave me when I left hospital again as I hadnt felt the need for them for a few days but def need them now. TMI....my loss had got really light but seems to have increased quite alot... not to the extent that im flooding but enough for me to question.....I thought with a section you didnt bleed for as long as with a 'normal' delivery confused
Is all this normal?????
Have tried phoning the Drs but cant get speaking to them till 4pm...& I cant wait, so hopefully someone will post back???? TIA

PureNewWoolWithPerfectStitches Mon 06-Jun-11 13:56:46

I've had two sections and I hadn't heard that you bleed less, why would you?
I think I had an increase after about two weeks too, when I spoke to the midwife she said that was normal - I think I rang labour ward and asked to speak to a midwife at the time, that might be worth a try or your health visitor.
If you do have a chest infection then you might need to see the doctor anyway, are you bf or can you take antibiotics? If you are taking the pain medication you were given, do make sure you take something like lactulose (which is a stool softener) as they can make you horribly constipated and take it from someone who knows, a painful c-section scar and constipation do NOT mix (especially on top of everything else!)

Hope you feel better soon.

fruitybread Mon 06-Jun-11 14:02:03

Bleeding 14 days after an ELCS is normal. I don't know if you bleed more or less than after a VB, but I was told by the MW that it tends to 'come and go' a bit more - which mine did.

I think it took about 4 weeks before I got zero bleeding. I know women with VBs who were had similar lengths of 'bleed', but it got progressively lighter, and wasn't as on and off as mine.

If you have a cough which is getting worse, you should speak to your docs anyway, regardless of your CS, although I do appreciate that lots of uncontrollable coughing is not what you want when you are recovering! If your wound is healing well, it's very unlikely you will actually burst anything, but it can still be very painful.

I hope the drs are helpful.

Jellyrollgumdrop Mon 06-Jun-11 16:42:28

Thank you both, got speaking to the Dr & she gave me antibiotics for chest so hopefully will put an end to this cough, she alsoi said it was highly unlikely that I would burst anything as they sew you up really well. Purenewwool I had been told before that they 'clean you out' after a section & equated this to a lessening loss.

CrapBag Mon 06-Jun-11 19:45:59

I bled more with my ELCS than I did with my vaginal delivery. First peroid after was a fucker too so watch out for that. Serious flooding that I had never had before. I was panicking but it is normal apparently.

harrygracejessica Mon 06-Jun-11 20:21:37

Ive just had my 3rd section 6 weeks ago and only just stopped bleeding!! It was driving me nuts as for the first 2 I only bled for 2 weeks tops!

mosschops30 Mon 06-Jun-11 20:28:00

Lol at sew you up really well hmm

I bled more after my sectiob than my vaginal deliveries, right up to my first period. If you have pain in the scar and increased bleeding you might have an infection

Jellyrollgumdrop Tue 07-Jun-11 13:08:24

mosschops drs put it down to doing too much & straining when coughing. Midwife took a swab a week ago & came back clear, thank goodness!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now