Talk

Advanced search

Inducing curry recommendations!

(25 Posts)
VeryHungryKatypillar Sun 05-Jun-11 19:00:28

Following Melly's thread (sex and waterbirths grin) any suggestions for which curry's are more likely to induce labour? Is it a case of hotter the better or is there more to it?

<am totally aware this is an old wives tale, but am fully embracing the opportunity!>

camdancer Sun 05-Jun-11 19:08:22

Be careful with this one as the chili and pepper in the curry can mess with endorphins making labour more painful (apparently according to some paper that my DH read about in New Scientist.)

Having said that, I'm having curry tonight just in case it does work! Not too hot though.

Jbck Sun 05-Jun-11 19:13:40

Didn't work with DD1, tried all the old wive's tales and had curry for about 4 days straight, went 10 days overdue and had to be induced. [voice of doom face]

If you're not having problems eating spicy food then enjoy it anyway as a time to enjoy being a twosome and having peace to eat smile

VeryHungryKatypillar Sun 05-Jun-11 19:14:29

Eek, labour more painful? That is NOT what we want! If curry were swifly followed with a large bar of dairy milk, might this balance out the endorphin thing?
<preens, quite proud of this theory>

Also apologies - curries

VeryHungryKatypillar Sun 05-Jun-11 19:17:15

Oh no Jbck! Am really keen to go into labour spontaneously - am hoping for a VBAC and won't be allowed to/don't want to be induced.

Have DD already, so not so much a chance of enjoying being a twosome, but am thinking that now I'm on mat leave, lunchtimes spent in the local curry house with a paper might not be all that bad...

RitaMorgan Sun 05-Jun-11 19:21:42

It's diahorrea that supposedly induces labour by irritating your uterus, so the hotter the better. Castor oil apparently works too.

VeryHungryKatypillar Sun 05-Jun-11 19:31:53

Urgh, castor oil?? I'd take curry over that any day! Just read something on that though, sounds like from a limited study that it was pretty effective. 4 floz though? I think I might prefer a c-section!

RitaMorgan Sun 05-Jun-11 19:34:44

The last thing I'd want while actually in labour is raging diahorrea and vomiting though!

VeryHungryKatypillar Sun 05-Jun-11 19:49:39

Good point - or even just horrendous flatulence (which is, for me, the inevitable consequence of a curry - sorry, totally TMI).

camdancer Sun 05-Jun-11 19:56:17

I'm so loving the idea of a curry and then dairy milk. My bump is already half chocolate, so that would work very well. See for me, at the moment I don't care if labour is more painful, I just want this baby out! It's #3, so hopefully will be a short labour.

Google about castor oil inducing labour. You will steer very, very clear.

VeryHungryKatypillar Sun 05-Jun-11 21:28:42

Good luck camdancer - here's hoping for swift labour for you! My baby is also half human/half cadbury...

camdancer Mon 06-Jun-11 08:05:38

Didn't work. Had lots of braxton hicks' last night so a crappy nights sleep, but nothing useful. Curry tasted very nice though.

Do you think our babies will come out with purple hair? grin

VeryHungryKatypillar Mon 06-Jun-11 08:22:04

Or perhaps just foil instead of hair?

Here's hoping the braxton hicks are ramping up and will turn into something more productive..

TabithaTwitchet Mon 06-Jun-11 08:46:26

Didn't work for me last night either grin. I even had a curry with pineapple in - surely that should have been a double whammy! No sign of a baby, did get a bit of heartburn though!

Cattleprod Mon 06-Jun-11 08:50:41

I had a very mild lamb korma the night before I went into labour with DS. I don't think you need to torture yourself with a phall(sp?)!

VeryHungryKatypillar Mon 06-Jun-11 08:51:13

Never mind TT, perhaps today is the day? The pineapple thing has been most disappointing - apparently you have to eat about 7 of them to get anywhere near the levels necessary (either that or put the core in your fanjo for 6 hours - my midwife told me that one!). As pineapple is my favourite fruit I had been really looking forward to an excuse to eat loads, but 7 might be too much even for me...

I'm only 37 weeks today so feel it is a bit early for me to be whinging about inducing labour... but am SOO fed up!

Spudulika Mon 06-Jun-11 10:54:04

If curry was ever going to work it would have to be a large okra vindaloo.

yum!

VeryHungryKatypillar Mon 06-Jun-11 14:11:42

Have just had a fairly ordinary chicken balti... lets see what happens! I imagine I could get all the way through the menu in the next few weeks...
Am impressed with the lamb korma though Cattleprod! You obviously just needed something to push you over the edge!
A Vindaloo sounds good Spudulika, although no okra for me, have never been a big fan...

EauRouge Mon 06-Jun-11 14:27:09

I can't stand curry but I ate this and went into labour a day or so later. I think it's total bobbins, I was already over a week overdue anyway so likely it made no difference, but it's very tasty. grin

TabithaTwitchet Mon 06-Jun-11 14:31:59

Put the pineapple core WHERE?? grin Did your midwife know anyone who had actually done that?

Not sure I could manage curry for lunch every day (and 3 yr old DD certainly couldn't), so will have to hold off the experimentation until Friday night when DH has promised we can have a takeaway. Maybe will get a thali, that comes with 4 different types of curry, more chance one of them will do the trick perhaps...

VeryHungryKatypillar Mon 06-Jun-11 16:22:12

ER - I love aubergines! May very well give that recipe a go if I can find Italian breadcrumbs (what are they anyway? ciabatta breadcrumbs?!). I too think most of this stuff is total bobbins, but it's fun speculating and having a reason to eat various things!

TT - you heard right the first time! My midwife reckoned that one of her colleagues had researched (on google obv) the pineapple thing and apparently the core has the most of the substance in it that brings on contractions but eating was no good - direct application the only way! Which directly conflicts with something I read on prostaglandins, which reckoned that absorption via the gut was better than round cervix (which has made DH most excited, whilst we're not likely to manage a full on shag every night due to it being a major logistical operation, he thinks he's got more chance at the other end!!!)

I think curry each day will make me horrid to be in a room with... but every few days or so perhaps...

Cyclebump Wed 08-Jun-11 12:52:23

I had a Nandos for lunch on my due date, labour a few hours later. We are convinced it was the periperi salt I demanded on my chips grin

JimmyChoo17 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:13:46

Veryhungrycaterpillar......u have just brought lunchtime curries to my attention....wouldn't even have thought of that as they are usually a rare weekend evening treat....ooo I'm sure I can sneak in a few of them during mat leave....purely out of indulgence!!!

VeryHungryKatypillar Thu 09-Jun-11 08:59:39

Ooh, Nandos, that might be good for a change!
JC - I'm pleased to have been of assistance!! Never too early in the day for a curry...

JimmyChoo17 Thu 09-Jun-11 19:09:04

Any sudden weight gain in those 2 weeks off I may have to blame on you mind...haha!! I'm so excited about eating curry. How sad is that...the best curry house in town is within waddling distance too.....oh-oh!! grin must show restraint...nah...sod it...pass me the poppodoms...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now