Talk

Advanced search

will they induce me when I have had previous c-section?

(16 Posts)
twins2004 Sat 04-Jun-11 22:09:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlsoAvailableSober Sat 04-Jun-11 22:10:47

I was told no as the (likely) faster birth can put too much pressure on the scar and cause rupture sad

AlsoAvailableSober Sat 04-Jun-11 22:11:28

Although odd they have not discussed it with you confused

twins2004 Sat 04-Jun-11 22:14:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twins2004 Sat 04-Jun-11 22:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GreenTeapot Sat 04-Jun-11 22:15:19

I think it depends on the consultant. I was induced with synto because my cervix was soft enough for them to break my membranes. If it hadn't been so favourable it would have been another section. Prostin isn't a good idea for VBACs as it softens the scar as well as the cervix.

ShowOfHands Sat 04-Jun-11 22:16:53

I asked about this as part of my post-cs debrief. I think largely it depends on the hospital. Ours will induce but only in a certain way. I forget tbh but if induction becomes medically indicated (and you've opted for this over elcs) it's something like yes to pessaries, no to a drip or something like that and obviously they progress to cs much quicker than with a non vbac induction.

Were you given any leaflets in with your notes about the hospital vbac policy? I seem to recall our hospital having one that I was given after the cs, for future reference.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 04-Jun-11 22:23:10

Mine wouldn't, despite my section being nearly six years ago. Went 9 days over due, sweeps not working, so ended up with second section.

carlyvita Sun 05-Jun-11 08:55:37

I think it's no to pesseries, yes to a drip (in some hospitals anyway).

The pesseries (unless they are those new ones I've started to hear of which are designed like tampons and can actually be removed) cannot be removed so if danger signs spring up, no one can "stop" your labour. With a drip it can just be turned off at the slightest suggestion of trouble.

Generally, down to hospital and consultant. I reckon. I doubt any would endorse a 3 day induction route for instance and would agree with Showofhands that you'd end up with a c/section before that.

Of course, there's nothing to make you accept induction or c-section if you or baby is not ready. Some people are happy waiting longer for baby's arrival than others. Some people also have dates that vary from the date given by a dating scan (if you accepted one). It's always your choice. Good luck!

kiwidreamer Sun 05-Jun-11 13:22:41

At the Royal Berks I was told no to pessaries and yes to breaking waters and the synto drip but only if I was favourable enough to bother with the induction, as it turns out by 40+7 I was 1cm with soft cervix but too high, Consultant booked the ELCS for +14 and said she wouldnt bother putting me through the stress of an induction in my current state of favourability. At the time I said I'd like to be examined on the morning of the ELCS to see if I was more favourable but as the week progressed I made peace with not having my VBAC and just wanted to be holding my baby. Plus my previous EMCS started with an induction that just didnt work for me so I didnt want to go into that situation again but induction is different for everyone and lots of people just need a little kick start.

Zimbah Sun 05-Jun-11 17:06:33

I think it really depends on the hospital policy. I was put under pressure to have an induction rather than repeat ELCS if I went too much overdue. I refused and it was reluctantly agreed to book me for ELCS at 42+2 ( I wanted to leave it as late as possible to give me best chance of going into labour naturally).

I didn't feel induction for VBAC was safe or sensible - my hospital use prostaglandin to start it off which I felt was very risky, and using oxytocin alone seems to have low chance of working. After reading all the RCOG and NICE guidelines I felt the chances of it ending up in EMCS was pretty high as I hadn't given birth naturally before, so I didn't want to go through all that and end in CS anyway.

To give you some hope though, I also had three attempted sweeps starting at 40 weeks and my cervix was posterior every time. I had a fourth at 41+4 and it was successful, DD was born the next morning, so keep trying with the sweeps as your cervix can move quickly!

twins2004 Sun 05-Jun-11 17:12:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

schmee Sun 05-Jun-11 19:42:05

Good luck for tomorrow.

GreenTeapot Sun 05-Jun-11 19:52:52

Good luck. I was unwell towards the end of my pregnancy and it was decided that DD should be delivered fairly promptly. The consultant checked my cervix as a last resort before booking me for a section the next morning (he knew I wanted a VBAC) and he said he was expecting it to be "like Pinocchio's nose"! But low and behold it was soft and 1cm and after he'd been rummaging I had mild contractions overnight and it was 3cm by the morning. You never know what will happen so don't be downhearted smile

frazzlenz Sun 05-Jun-11 20:26:24

In NZ vbacs are not uncommon. I had 2 after my cs. You are sent to see a consultant around 30 weeks to discuss it. It usually centres around why you had the cs in the first place and whether that issue is likely to happen again. Certainly not an issue of hospital policy. The ob I saw said a uterine rupture is rare and they would pick it up if it started to happen anyway. If I remember rightly there would be pain still between the contractions that would raise alarm bells.

My only restriction was that I wasn't going to be left to push for too long (20 mn or so) as thats when most pressure is put on the uterus. With Ds 2 I got to 20mn but a registrar let me go another 10, which was all I needed.

I hope you are able to give it a go. Good luck.

twins2004 Tue 07-Jun-11 23:26:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now