Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me good things about induction?

(20 Posts)
Highlander01 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:06:12

Hello everyone!

I am 5 days overdue with my first baby and finding it all a bit difficult! sad As much as I am assured by my partner, friends and family that it will all be fine, I am still quite upset by the mention of induction at my midwife appointment on Wednesday. If nothing happens by next Saturday I would go into hospital for the initial part (which I think is the gel?) and then the drip if needs be on the Sunday. I know I am within my rights to refuse induction if I want to, but I know I probably won't if it comes to that, as I really want it over with. However I have heard such bad stories about induction, and was wondering if anyone might be able to help me get a better nights sleeps by telling me that their's wasn't so bad?!

Also, I know that there is a much higher change of needing an epidural and therefore an assisted delivery, is this most people's experience?

Secondtimelucky Fri 03-Jun-11 14:40:56

I can't give a personal story, but I did want to say that I was reading some reassuring stats yesterday that something like 4% of babies go past 42 weeks, so the odds are really good things will kick of by themselves. The average for a first time mum is apparantly 8 days overdue (which is exactly what my DD was). I'm three days over with no. 2 and really fed up too!

Also, a friend was induced at +13 and it was a really positive experience for her. Gel kicked things off and went on to have a very straightforward birth, no need for drip, no assisted delivery or epidural. She reckons she was ready to go herself really.

In the meantime, try and gets lots of rest. Time passes quicker when you're napping!

40winks Fri 03-Jun-11 22:52:12

Oooh i loved my induction and i'd been so so terrified of it! DC3 was induced and i ended up with the drip. my waters broke 2 days before and contractions didn't start so they had to get me going. labour was an hour, totally manageable and the best of all of them - the others were water births, one home birth. no pain relief of any kind needed for either of them. smile

40winks Fri 03-Jun-11 22:54:28

whatever you do try and stay upright - e.g. sitting on a birth ball. gravity is your friend. and when you're pushing force everything to relax as if you're going for a much needed wee - you'll have to focus and concentrate to be able to do it but it will make things much much more comfortable for you so do try!

Highlander01 Sat 04-Jun-11 07:16:02

Thank you both! It does make a change (and a difference and to me) to hear positive things, as (IMO) you don't hear too many good stories about induction. Hot curry last night, toying with the idea of sex today (not high on my wish-list!!) plus going to go for a long waddle walk, so fingers crossed something helps! Having a sweep at the hospital tomorrow too.

Thanks for the tip about relaxing when pushing, sounds quite difficult but I do understand what you mean and shall try and remember that when it comes to the crucial moment!! smile

Hearing that statistic makes me feel better too - I didn't realise it was such a small percentage. So we both have a 96% chance we will have our babies with no induction needed (I like the sound of that stat smile )

Best of luck Secondtimelucky - hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer! xx

blueberryjam Sat 04-Jun-11 11:36:11

I have had 3 inductions. All were fine no intervention and managed with no pain relief just a couple of doses of prostin got things moving. The best bit is that I have then had really quick labours. DS1 was the longest and that was 2 hrs 50 mins from first twinge to having him.

Highlander01 Sat 04-Jun-11 21:34:35

Wow Blueberryjam! Under 3 hours sounds like a dream come true to me! It really does help me to hear good things like this, I know I am stressing for no reason; I can't change what will happen and the end result will be so amazing..... smile

Chrononaut Sun 05-Jun-11 14:22:04

I had an induction less than 2 weeks ago! (waters were popped for me) and had an epidural to go with it. It made my labour really enjoyable and relaxed and I also was able to feel the urge to push. there were no forceps or anything and id do it again smile

(tmi warning)
the only downside is that I tore up and to the left along my labia, not badly mind you but enough to warrant a suture. it still wasnt that bad and i could walk and take a bath afterward, although i was a bit bambi legged :P

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 05-Jun-11 14:28:56

Induction here too. Three lots of gel which got things moving, 4 hrs from waters to baby and no epidural or drip. Birth itself was fine and nice and quick. Good luck smile

ipredicttrouble Sun 05-Jun-11 19:09:25

Induced with the syntocin drip for DD as my waters went with meconium in them and they wanted to get me started as quickly as possible (I was 5 days over at this point). MWs were very much pushing me to have an epidural pretty much straightaway after the drip went in but I stuck to my guns and said that I'd see how it goes.

It was all perfectly manageable. I had G&A and an injection of meptid & yes there were some really painful moments but nothing that I couldn't deal with IYSWIM.

DD was born with no instrumental intervention but I did have an episiotomy (sp?) which wasn't the end of the world. I'm glad that I didn't have an epidural but each to their own. If you feel you want/need one go for it.

woopsidaisy Mon 06-Jun-11 11:54:50

I have been induced with both pregnancies. They were both pessaries I think. With DS1 I went into labour after a couple of hours,and had pethadine at 8cms. Stayed walking/upright the whole time. Had him after about 9/10 hrs,standing up at the side of the bed. No intervention or stitches,9 lb 7oz.
DS2 had pessary,got up,went OMG,as went from zero to painful contractions straight away! But it was a short labour,about 3 hrs. Had him on the bed,no sutures or intervention,10 lbs 11oz.
The good thing about induction is you have no mad dash from home at night,or embarrassing waters breaking out and about.grin
I highly recommend it!

twins2004 Mon 06-Jun-11 22:35:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Queenofthehill Tue 07-Jun-11 12:30:33

DC1. Waters broke, then induced after 48 hours. I had the gel, went from zero to birth in four and a half hours, no intervention, tens, then gas and air for final 20 mins and a 'textbook delivery' (midwives' words). I was pleased it was so quick! Good luck smile

melrose Wed 08-Jun-11 15:16:43

Do bare in mind that you don't have to be induced if all is well with youa nd the baby.....

DMCWelshCakes Wed 08-Jun-11 19:17:49

Induction was fine for me too. Pessary given, followed by a good night's sleep & then a 42 minute labour the following morning. All very civilised.

I didn't really want to have the induction but was definoitely the right decision & was absolutely fine (better than previous natural labour).

threadsoffeeling Wed 08-Jun-11 19:19:05

you get a baby at the end of it

ninah Wed 08-Jun-11 19:19:30

the good thing about it is that you know your child's birthday in advance.

thehiddenpaw Sat 11-Jun-11 22:01:20

was induced for number 2. It was all fine. I did not knwo there was anything to be scared of so I pushed for it and had it at 40 plus 10. Am going for induction with number 3 so I can have baby in hospital as am fast delivery and dont want home birth. Have had normal labour with premature baby and would much prefer induction any day. Why is it so scary? have i missed something as seems to be talked about a lot. Why do we have to get all wound up about the whole thing. Honestly I would have epidural, drugs, intervention whatever as long as my baby comes safe and why should I suffer. Giving birth is tough however we do it I think and we are all a little traumatised by the shock. But I would be induced again (and hope to be) and honestly it was no big horror story and such a relief to know you are on the final path.

jubblicious Sun 12-Jun-11 04:13:01

i was induced with my DS. I was worried as i had heard all these horror stories about how it makes the contractions more painful and the birth longer.

And TBH, it wasn't as bad as all those stories. I managed on my tens and gas and air, which was a shocker for me, as i'm a complete wuss when it comes to pain! My labour was only 8 hours, which i didn't think was too bad!

I agree with 40winks stay upright. It makes it bearable! I paced up and down during my contractions and bounced on the birthing ball.

Good Luck!

Highlander01 Mon 20-Jun-11 14:50:09

Thanks for all your messages everyone, DD arrived a week ago at 40+15 smile

I just had one lot of the prostaglandin gel which was enough to get me going, and although the staff on the ward were not great (they sent my DH home when I was in early labour because it was after visiting hours!!!!) the delivery suite midwives were fab. I had an epidural in the end, but you were all right; it really didn't matter because she is safe and well and it made the final part when I was pushing really quite enjoyable!

Thanks and best of luck to everyone! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now