Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Afterpains?

(9 Posts)
DontWorryBaby Wed 01-Jun-11 19:22:35

I had my second child on Tue 24th. SVD, 2nd degree tear, post partum haemorrhage but had been feeling really good until today. I think I'm having afterpains but it's so painful I'm doubled over with the pain. Is this normal? Bleeding isn't too heavy but real shooting pains in my tummy and also feeling shooting pains in my vagina & back passage.

Any advice gratefully received!

DontWorryBaby Wed 01-Jun-11 19:53:19

Bump... Anyone?

mrsravelstein Wed 01-Jun-11 19:55:54

am sure someone knowledgeable will come along, but, i got v bad afterpains after dc3... however they started very soon after the birth and lasted for about 48 hours iirc, rather than starting a good few days later... it sounds like it ought to be checked to me

Pesha Wed 01-Jun-11 21:51:42

I think you need to go and see a dr asap, maybe ring NHS direct for advice but I would say if you don't see someone tonight then you def need to see someone first thing tomorrow.

I had after pains with dc3 which started to ease after about 2 weeks and then, I thought, got worse again and had me doubled over in agony at times. I then developed a fever and after ignoring it for the best part of 24 hours I rang nhs direct who sent me to out of hours dr who admitted me to hospital straight away. I had a strep a womb infection (used to be called child bed fever) which needed 3 days of IV antibiotics to clear up and could have been very serious. The infection was nothing to do with the birth or anything else, just 'one of those things'. I hadn't noticed any change in discharge or odour although these were questions they kept asking me.

I don't want to worry you but the fact that you've had nothing before now makes me think its very unlikely to be after pains, mine always started immediately after giving birth. If it is an infection then the sooner you catch it the easier it'll be to treat, I only ended up in hospital because I'd ignored it for so long.

DontWorryBaby Wed 01-Jun-11 22:12:29

Thanks Pesha. Eventually found some info online which suggested it could be some kind of infection. Pains have died down, although I have been lying on the sofa for a couple of hours, so I'll see how I am during the night and tomorrow and know now to phone gp ASAP if things continue.

saldoozer Sat 04-Jun-11 18:09:36

I had excruiating abdominal pain 6 days post delivery, compleatly out of the blue. I went to A and E where after examining me they thought it was an infection. I was prescribed antibiotics and painkillers and it settled in a few days. I would get yourself seen by a GP or A and E ASAP for a check up.

DontWorryBaby Sat 04-Jun-11 20:07:39

It died down on Wed night before bed. Had similar pains on Friday afternoon/evening for a couple of hours. I'd already mentioned it to the community midwife on Fri morning and she said it could be my muscles contracting? Haven't had a temp or any other symptoms. Not sure what's going on. Now 11 days after delivery so I'm thinking it isn't an infection.

If it happens again I'll phone nhs24. Thanks for replying.

B52s Mon 06-Jun-11 12:38:19

I had what felt like labour pains about 2 weeks after giving birth. Phoned the doctor, told to go back to maternity unit, found I had a raging UTI. Got some meds, it went. Get it seen to if it comes back.

Stangirl Wed 08-Jun-11 12:37:14

I had these pains about 2 weeks after c-section. I was screaming in agony and unable to feed my baby. Lasted about 2 days and I never saw anyone about them - justthought it was normal post-partum contractions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: