Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

C-Section wound infected :-(

(11 Posts)
kiwidreamer Wed 01-Jun-11 18:25:15

DD was born by ELCS 12 days ago, I was discharged by the MW on Monday even tho my wound was a little bit weepy and now today I'm sure is properly infected as the weeping is worse and its a bit smelly. DD wasnt discharged as didnt gain weight between day 5 - 10.

Do I just wait to call my GP in the morning or can I call the ward tonight? I'm assuming since I've been discharged officially by the MW that Im pretty much on my own now? The HV has called and is coming tomorrow morning for DD's hearing test but obviously she cant give me antibiotics.

It will be okay to wait til tomorrow to start antibiotics right??

nometime Wed 01-Jun-11 18:29:23

If it was me I would call you out of hours doctor they can at least advise you whether to wait until tomorrow. If not call the ward I am sure that they will be able to give you some advice. Goodluck.

Madlizzy Wed 01-Jun-11 18:30:49

Is it red around the wound and a bit hot? It should really be healing well by now. Call your out of hours GP, I think that needs seeing to fairly swiftly.

Northernlurker Wed 01-Jun-11 18:38:55

Call somebody now please. It will only get worse and you do not want that!

katydix Wed 01-Jun-11 20:38:33

I agree, I would call the out of hours docs, get seen and get some antibiotics as soon as possible.
My wound got infected after an emcs and I don't think it would have been so bad if I had gone straight to the doctors rather than listening to the midwives who kept saying, I'm sure it'll be fine.
I'd also say, keep it dry and let the air get to it as much as you can. And take it easy, you body has a lot of healing to do so you'll need lots of rest.
Good luck. If it is infected, I hope it clears up quickly x

PrincessScrumpy Wed 01-Jun-11 21:35:51

In my area you can call the mw on labour ward 24 hours a day for 14days after birth. If not the gp. Hope all is fine x

Loubicheeza Thu 02-Jun-11 21:30:05

I had an infected wound twice. 1st time it was infected I left it too long before seeing the doctor, and had to have 2 lots of antibiotics. Wear loose clothing, keep it clean and let air get to it if poss. My midwife took a swab to see if it was MRSA (it wasn't.) Hope it clears up soon for you.

mosschops30 Thu 02-Jun-11 21:32:46

Mine was infected, pus oozing out of two openings.
Get it seen to asap.
I had mrsa in mine and wasnt clear until 4 months after my c section.

captainbarnacle Thu 02-Jun-11 21:37:00

Yes I had MRSA too. Oral antibiotics didn't shift it, and I was hospitalized for IV when DS1 was 2 weeks old

kiwidreamer Fri 03-Jun-11 18:45:12

Thanks for all the advice, I went to the out of hrs Dr on Wednesday night, he said it was a bit mucky but in the range of acceptable healing. MW saw it on Thursday and again said it was ok. HV saw it this morning and said she didn't like the look of it and would expect it to be in much better shape for two weeks and got me an appointment at my GP this afternoon, GP agreed it didn't look so good and put me on anti biotics. I just wish I'd trusted my instincts more, if I'd gone straight to my GP on Wed I'd be better by now!!!!

lockets Sat 04-Jun-11 09:13:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: