Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What are my rights regarding induction?

(7 Posts)
PrisonerZero Wed 01-Jun-11 12:13:55

Currently 39 weeks pregnant and have my 40 week appointment next week, I think that we will be discussing a date to be induced incase I don't go into labour naturally. My previous DC were both over due inductions so I think I will go over this time too.

From my few friends that have recently given birth it seems that the average length of time to go over before induction date is 40+18, which to me seems to long. I know that people have differning opinions on this, but in my mind, I would rather be induced at 40+10 like I was with the other DC. I worry about the placenta becoming less effective, the risk of still birth increasing, the risk of having mechonium in the waters increasing etc (plus the obvious uncomfortable side effects of being heavily pregnant)

Do I get any say in when I would be induced? Are there any official guidelines that say when the NHS should offer induction etc?

BeautifulBlondePineapple Wed 01-Jun-11 13:53:47

The NICE guidlines are probably what you're looking for:

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancycareplanner/Documents/NICE_induction_of_labour.pdf

They state that induction should be offered between 41+0 and 42+0. I wouldn't want to wait until 40+18 either!

nannyl Wed 01-Jun-11 16:03:57

my hospital has a policy that (unless obviously there is a medical reason) they will NOT induce before 40+14

should i make it to 40+14 (which will be 40+11 by my dates and i KNOW im right wink) i will insist on a few days of monitoring before i allow myself to be induced

coccyx Wed 01-Jun-11 16:07:17

is 40+18 the same as 42+4?? I know they are ok with 2 weeks either way of due date but 40+18 would seem forever!

PrisonerZero Wed 01-Jun-11 17:36:53

Thank you for the link. Is NICE pronounced 'nice - thats a nice dress' or niece? Just don't want to look daft if I quote it to the midwife grin

Yep, 42+4 which seems like forever and I wouldn't want to wait that long! I know they do expectant managment after 42 weeks but seeing as half the time they don't seem to have a clue who I am I wouldn't trust them, which is sad really but just the way it is.

Its playing on my mind more as I too think I am a week further on than they have dated me, and plus my friend has a seriously ill baby after being left this long to be induced and the risks of his condition are higher the more overdue you go so I am worrying about that too.

Thank you.

sillysow Wed 01-Jun-11 18:59:38

Nice is National Institute for Clinical Excellence - so nice as in nice day smile

PrisonerZero Wed 01-Jun-11 19:04:44

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: