Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Having CS tomorrow, need advice about what to put in the birth plan

(22 Posts)
loueytb3 Wed 01-Jun-11 06:25:45

I'm trying to write a birth plan and my head hurts...

I've got in that I want DH to be with me all the time (inc during the epidural/spinal) and that I want them to lower the screen so we can see the sex first.

What else?

MumblingRagDoll Wed 01-Jun-11 07:53:19

I asked that DH was able to go with the nmidwife to wash the baby...so he could talk to her and she would hear a familiar voice...he midwife let him help and you ould ask if he can cut the cord too.

PeppaPigandGeorge Wed 01-Jun-11 10:08:29

Feeding! If you intend to bf then you should be able to straight away after cs but if for any reason you can't, then do you want the baby given a bottle? I had to have a GA and the well-intentioned midwives had already tried to give her a bottle by the time I came round. Newborns don't need their first feed immediately.

WidowWadman Wed 01-Jun-11 10:47:16

I had mine last week - surgeons didn't agree to lowering the screen for infection control reasons and also because they wouldn't want to lose time putting it up again if anythingwent awry. However, we still could find out the sex ourselves - we simply asked them not to shout it out, and the midwife brought her over so we could have a look.

I didn't write a birth plan though, but just chatted through preferences at the clerking appointment and while they were prepping me.

PrincessJenga Wed 01-Jun-11 13:16:02

Skin to skin contact? I have in mine that if I do need a cesarean then I would still like skin to skin as soon as possible and that if I can't do it I'd like DP to do it instead.

Checkmate Wed 01-Jun-11 13:51:41

Delaying cord cutting for a minute or two is good for the baby; some surgeons will do it and some won't.

loueytb3 Wed 01-Jun-11 17:48:04

Added skin to skin contact and delayed cord clamping although I suspect they won't do the latter as we know this LO is very small. DH not at all keen to cut the cord. Good idea about putting in bottle/bf'ing preference.

PeppaPigandGeorge Wed 01-Jun-11 18:02:53

One other thing - type of stitches. I had dissolvable the first time and prolene beads the 2nd and I much preferred the dissolvable ones. You might not get to choose - some docs have their own preference but it is worth asking about beforehand.

coccyx Wed 01-Jun-11 18:11:10

have had 4 sections and hubby not allowed in while they prepped me/epidural etc.
The type of preferred closure is often surgeons particular like/dislike.
Had skin to skina nd it was great.
Last 2 babies were not bathed until the next day.
have to say i found the admission procedure very thorough and covered lots, feeding etc
Hope all goes well

MumblingRagDoll Wed 01-Jun-11 19:27:08

Gosh....that;s a bit hard...not allowing DH in Coccyx! Mine was allowed in.

lockets Wed 01-Jun-11 19:40:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lockets Wed 01-Jun-11 19:41:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

knittakid Wed 01-Jun-11 19:42:43

I had a emcs 11 weeks ago, I would asked to have skin to skin whatever happens, and really be prepared for it, in my case the screen was too high and there was no space for the baby to be with me, and dh had not put on the top back to front so nobody had skin to skin. In fact I would like to have asked to have no screen at all and have them flop baby on me as soon as it comes out, which I know might be controversial and not be done at all...just a wish.
Good luck and congratulations.

meditrina Wed 01-Jun-11 19:43:50

The catheter for the drip.

Ask to have it sited just far enough up your arm to be clear of your wrist movement. it makes a heck of a difference to everything you do in the immediate aftermath!

loueytb3 Wed 01-Jun-11 20:04:46

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This has really helped me write my plan. DH was allowed in the whole time last time so I hope that he can be again, I was also very nervous when they did the spinal. Meditrina, they always have a nightmare siting the drip with me but I will ask them to put it higher.

knittakid Wed 01-Jun-11 20:52:32

second metitrina too.

loueytb3 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:03:38

I had a baby boy this morning - we've called him Oscar Joseph. The CS was a very calm experience and everything I asked for I got. It was a very nice team of surgeons/midwives/drs. Very glad I asked your advice!

MumblingRagDoll Thu 02-Jun-11 19:09:42

Congratulations and welcome to baby Oscar Joseph grin

Jemma1111 Thu 02-Jun-11 19:19:23

I was able to take my own music in so maybe you could do that

Good luck ! smile

Safariboots Fri 03-Jun-11 05:35:31

Congratulations, loueytb3.
How are you feeling?

loueytb3 Fri 03-Jun-11 06:13:01

Safari - very sore! More than I remembered from last time. Unfortunately they had to take Oscar into SCBU because his blood sugar levels are too low so I was a weeping wreck last night! I am hoping that he's picked up overnight and will be back with me soon.

Safariboots Sat 04-Jun-11 00:16:47

Loueytb3, hope things are now calmer and baby Oscar has stabilized and is back with you. You must have had a tough night; all the best, get well soonsmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: