Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

wishful thinking - can labour 'just' start like that

(16 Posts)
twins2004 Tue 31-May-11 22:56:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlenuttree Tue 31-May-11 23:09:15

I'm not sure if this fits what you're asking exactly, but I had a sweep at 10am with DD2 when I was 10 days overdue and nothing happened that day, but I woke up at 4.30am the next day with contractions every 3mins and she was born 5.5hrs later. So apart from the sweep, which may or may not have helped, was in established labour pretty much out of nowhere.

littlenuttree Tue 31-May-11 23:11:34

I meant to add, had no other signs such as a show, waters breaking, cramps, etc.

Good luck, hope you don't have much longer to wait! smile

twins2004 Tue 31-May-11 23:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Tue 31-May-11 23:14:39

My last baby arrived 1hr 25 after the 1st contraction so that was quite quick.

going Tue 31-May-11 23:16:49

Yes, all three of mine just started out of nowhere and progressed very quicly. Didn't have any braxton hicks with my first two either.

BigTuna Tue 31-May-11 23:32:07

With DS I was a week late and had mild contractions from mid-afternoon to late evening but I was convinced it would be hours before anything proper happened. Then my waters broke and it all got very intense very quickly. He was born about 2.5 hours later. So not exactly from nowhere but once it got going it was v quick.

Good luck! smile

Tidybush Tue 31-May-11 23:38:33

With DD2 I had a sweep on the Thursday, a slight show on the Friday and then woke up in full blown labour at 1am Saturday.

2 hours and 2 pushes later my baby was born - 14 years ago today!

MrsDmitriTippensKrushnic Tue 31-May-11 23:50:37

With DS1 and DD (DS2 was induced) I went to bed with no signs of anything apart from immense frustration (8 and 10 days overdue respectively) and woke up a couple of hours later in labour. No warning signs, no braxton hicks, no anything before hand.

Rosduk Wed 01-Jun-11 05:48:37

I had no signs whatsoever and at 40+2 was told I had posterior cervix that was still hard then 40+4 my waters broke and had her 6 hours later!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 01-Jun-11 07:18:58

Yes it can just start like that. With DC2 I had 2 massive contractions close together, so strong I thought the baby was coming straightaway. Luckily it calmed down enough for me to alert DH and get to the hospital.

The first contraction was at 11pm and she arrived at 3.45am.

Hope all goes well and you get the birth you want.

mummysleepy Wed 01-Jun-11 09:23:08

I was given a sweep at40+1 and nothing much seemed to have happened till next night when I was drifting off to sleep and my waters went. I did have slight show after sweep but really didn't think anything much was happening.
Baby arrived 5 hours after waters went.

I had spent the day trying to relax and chill out, listening to music and resting and I think this helped. I had been induced twice before so spontaneous labour was a real bonus for me

Good luck

lollystix Wed 01-Jun-11 09:57:51

With ds2 was waiting for vbac and was 39+4. was sitting on pc on this very section of mumsnet and had a sharp pain out of nowhere (no previous signs) and it was my hindwaters. Ds2 born 7 hours later.

ellie21 Wed 01-Jun-11 11:45:46

Definitely. This time last week I felt absolutely fine- no contractions nothing. I went to have my hair done at the hairdressers as I seriously didn't think anything would happen ( I was 39 weeks with my 1st ). Got home and my waters broke and we went into hospital to have the usual checks and was told I would need to come back in 3 days. As soon as I got home things most definitely started to happen 'all of a sudden'. From nothing I was having contractions every 2 minutes and had to go straight back in. My baby was born 3 hours from arriving back at the hospital and 9 hours from my waters breaking.
Good Luck - Hope it isn't too long for you!

eastegg Wed 01-Jun-11 11:52:06

Yes. My labour started out of nowhere. No Braxton Hicks, no early labour at all really, then waters broke and it was all systems go. By the time I got to hosp about 1 hr 30 mins later I was 4 cms. Shame the whole labour didn't go that well but that's another story... I was 40+3

stegasaurus Wed 01-Jun-11 12:08:59

I didn't feel any different on the Friday, went to bed, woke up at 2.30 am as waters had broken. Contractions started about half a hour later and were every 3-4mins right from the start, which was not at what I was expecting. Went to the hospital at 6ish (at DH's insistance, I kept telling him that labour takes hours and hours!) and was 8cms. DD was born at 9.30am at 39 weeks 5 weeks ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: