Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Being induced on Thursday and really scared

(10 Posts)
Justfeckingdoit Sat 28-May-11 16:48:00

Have been told by consultant that he recommends induction at 39 weeks (4 days before my due date). So have to go in at 7am on Thuesday (St Georges).

Baby is small and I was told for the first time last weeks that a reduced flow between the baby and placenta, picked up at my 21w scan is why I have been having growth scans and why they want to induce.

Consultant (only second time I have seen one) could not explain why I had not been told this before (was just told baby was small, not why) and also that I should really have been under consultant led care from 21w and it was a "booking error" that I was not!

Have read some horror stories about induction on here, and although I never expected labour to map out how I'd like, the one thing I was certain I did not want was to ben induced, especially not by drip.

I know it's hormones, but I keep crying and am really scared.

Anyone been though this and can reassure me?

Beamur Sat 28-May-11 16:52:05

I was induced too, it was uncomfortable - but labour is, however it happens!
Just concentrate on what is best for you and your baby and that the best outcome is happy and healthy Mum and baby.

Happynow Sat 28-May-11 16:57:03

Hi, sorry that you're going through this ... I can imagine how distressing it is. Unless they're suggesting that it's an emergency ... I would try and get a second opinion.

jezebelle Sat 28-May-11 17:00:32

I was induced twice at 38 weeks, twice as in each pregnancy !! Anyhow it was fine, one lot of gel, no drip, healthy babies, try not to worry too much xxx

Justfeckingdoit Sat 28-May-11 20:45:55

The thing that worries me is the oxytocin (sp?) drip.

I have heard it's worse than "normal" labour?

Beamur Sat 28-May-11 21:02:53

I haven't had a 'normal' labour so can't compare.
I think it brings labour on more quickly than naturally though, so the contractions are quite intense. I was keen to get pain relief asap!

pearlgirl Sun 29-May-11 00:21:13

I have had 3 inductions and had the drip each time - with the first two I had an epidural and with last I managed with gas and air and some pethadine - I also had a "normal" labour in between. Like you I was worried with my third induction (the others were done because of complications so i hadn't had time to think it over) and was keen to avoid the drip- but it wasn't to be - i tried to focus on my baby's arrival and to keep as mobile as i could for as long as possible.
I hope all goes well for you.

mummysweeangel1 Sun 29-May-11 08:57:42

I was induced at 38 weeks with my first DS, they broke my waters for me then put me on the syntoconin drip which wasnt great (well for me anyway)- i went from feeling fine to having the worst contractions ever - and didnt seem if there was any build up - However, i got an epidural after a few hours and that worked perfectly. In the end up my DS had to be born by emergency section as he was getting distressed but all in all it was fine and he was totally worth all of it.

Just make sure if you need pain relief you ask for it , you may very well suprise yourself ! but only you will know what you need at that time, everyone is different , every labour is different, just have an open mind and do what YOU have to do.

Be so worth it all when your gorgeous baby is here

good luck x

SAIRn3 Sun 29-May-11 10:03:17

I had 3 inductions, I have been told its more uncomfortable than a natural birth, but as never having one - i did'nt know any wiser. I has epidural for first and gas an air and any drugs they suggested ;-) on other occassions, it may be a little longer waiting for the actual event to take place, but I have three amazing kids they are perfect 2 girls and a boy - its worth it all in the end - good luck, try not to worry xxxx

Justfeckingdoit Mon 30-May-11 08:54:33

Thanks. i know it will be worth it in the end.

I was weirdly looking forward to getting to the point where I just wanted to get the baby out...so that I'd be pleased to be in labour. Does this make sense?

As it is, I have only had a week of maternity leave, and was mentally expecting more like 3 as am having no symptoms at all of going into labour early.

Oh well. I never actually expected it to go to plan on the day, so at least I know it won't I suppose.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: