Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - how long does it last?

(7 Posts)
minibmw2010 Sat 28-May-11 11:35:33

Hello, had my gorgeous little DS a week ago by ECS, still getting the swelling and tingling from Carpel Tunnel in my hands, especially my left. Does anyone have any ideas as to how long after giving birth it takes for this swelling to go down?

ChildofIsis Sat 28-May-11 11:40:17

I had carpal tunnel syndrome due to repetitive strain, not pregnancy. I had to have surgery which cured it.
I assume that once your hormones have settled a bit the swelling will go down relieving the pain.
I would be tempted to ask my doctor about it, if i were you.
Have you tried using a wrist support overnight? It helps a lot,

QTPie Sat 28-May-11 16:07:12

See a GP and a (very good) osteopath... Where in the country are you? I might be able to make a suggestion or two....

Agree that you want to keep it monitored: some people find it may wear off in a few weeks/months, others do need surgery (my Mum had hers done some years after my birth).

A GOOD osteopath should be able to check alignment and maybe "open" some things up for you - perhaps relieving some pressure. Certainly nothing to loose - worth a try.

QT

QTPie Sat 28-May-11 16:07:42

(and avoid typing as much as you can - wrist position from typing can put extra pressure on the carpal tunnels...)

herethereandeverywhere Sat 28-May-11 23:48:51

Mine was totally gone after about 6 months post-birth with the worst of it gone after about 3 months.

Don't hold out too much hope for any NHS help. My GP's advice consisted of telling me to sleep with my arms in the air hmm still not sure how that's possible.

nparkin Sun 29-May-11 19:21:05

I didnt have swelling but very numb thumbs & fingers and it moved onto the other hand after I gave birth. My GP sent me to get an x-ray in case it had anything to with trapped nerves down my spine or something. Anyway my x-rays were fine and actually he never mentioned carpel tunnel syndrome which I new it was as I had read all about it. The good news is that now at 4 months it has 99% gone but it does worry you when you still feel it at 2 months after birth. To be honest give it 4 or 5 months and see if it goes as they do not like to treat it as you need quite serious surgery but if its unbearable bug your GP..

knittakid Sun 29-May-11 21:54:57

11 weeks after emcs it's almost gone, gp said it could only start getting better after 3 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: