Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for getting waters to break???

(32 Posts)
Icanonlytry Fri 27-May-11 10:22:52

I am 40+8 and booked in for induction next week.
When I saw the midwife this morning she said I was now 6cms dilatedbut she could easily stretch to 8cms (was 3-4 last week) and baby was in a very good position and my waters were bulging and looked ready to go. She also said that once my waters go I need to get into hospital asap because she thinks baby will be born VERY quickly and because I have increased amounts of water they like to monitor for cord prolapse.
I have been getting regular contractions for the last week now, they get to every 4-5 minutes, last for 45-60 seconds and stay like this for a while then just disappear.

So I am wondering if there is anyway I can 'encourage' my waters to go. I would much rather it happen in the day when DD is at school and i can be at the hospital in 15-20 minutes than in the middle of the night when we will have to wait for FIL to come round and stay with DD then get up and dressed and get to hospital which will take much longer.

Or if I was to ring the labour ward, tell them about the pains and the dilation do you think they might take me in and break my waters today? I am getting very anxious about problems due to post maturity of the baby and now the very quick labour and risk of cord prolapse are making me panic.

Why cant babies just come on their due date, would make things much easier grin

BooBooGlass Fri 27-May-11 10:24:30

8cm dilated?? And she let you go home? shock

BooBooGlass Fri 27-May-11 10:26:05

Let me add to that. All that should be needed in that case is a little crochet hook jobby in the hospital. I would urge them to do it as soon as possible as well. Even a 15-20 minute trip to hospital may not be enough time. Once your waters go I'd bet that you'll be holding that baby in about 10 minutes grin

Icanonlytry Fri 27-May-11 10:30:42

I wondered the same about letting me go home, thought it was because I was only 6cm until she stretched it but surely that would mean I was 8cm anyway hmm
I thought that about the little crochet hook, had that when I was in labour with DD as I was nearly fully dilated but they wouldn't go (was already in hospital because I had been induced)
Do you think if I rand the labour ward they would take me in though or would they think I was being over dramatic? ( the dilation is written in my notes)

Imnotaslimjim Fri 27-May-11 10:32:53

i'd ring them and ask, its possible if they have a bed free they'll invite you in. Or you could lie a little and say the pain is picking up and you'd like checking cos you think baby might be on the way (its only a stretch of the truth really cos baby is on the way lol) good luck!

BooBooGlass Fri 27-May-11 10:36:11

No I think you need to ring them. I am shocked actually. At 6 cms you are officially in established labour I thought? And especially since this isn;t your first dc they would know it's likely to be much quicker. My waters went with ds as I was climbing out of a warm bath. That's got to be worth a try smile

TotorosOcarina Fri 27-May-11 10:41:07

I had this last week!

i went for a sweep and was 5-6cms dilated, she could stretch me to 10cms!!

that was 12 oclock, midday, she did a sweep,

he was born at 4pm!

my labour was 2.5 hours.

I think you should get ready to go in smile

good luck!

PS they told me go home as i was having a homebirth, don't know wat they would have saidif i was a hospital goer.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-May-11 14:48:43

You may just need your waters breaking, they did this with DC1 and he was born 2 hours later. However, not all waters break before LO arrive, DC2 was born in hers.

Give them a ring and tell them you are coming in.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-May-11 14:51:42

Oh and Ican, you could always give the NCT Pregnancy and Birth Helpline a call before you ring the hospital, just to talk over your concerns.

calmbirthmum Fri 27-May-11 15:28:32

Sounds like you're doing amazingly well to me! But you're clearly worried, so I'd advise you to go to the labour ward. Nothing like stress to slow labour down. So if you want to feel more relaxed, the answer may be to go to the hospital, especially as they've mentioned possibility of a prolapsed cord etc. 5cms is "established" labour. When you get there, try a bath (as mentioned earlier), and stimulate your nipples. Honestly - it works! I'm sure you won't need induction!!! The baby's coming soon... and sometimes they're born "en Caul" - with the sac intact! All the best.

Icanonlytry Fri 27-May-11 16:46:31

Thanks for all your replies, rang the labour ward earlier, they said if I was coping with the pain i would be better staying at home. Suggested a warm bath and a walk but they didnt do much.. Pain is picking up but nothing like i remember it with dd. [Hmm] might ring and say the pain is worse.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-May-11 17:14:28

Calmbirth DC2 was born en Caul. Apparently in Poland its legend that babies born en Caul are vampires. She will probably think this is really cool once she gets to about 13.

Checkmate Fri 27-May-11 17:21:37

The pain gears up once the waters have broken, in my experience. My labour where the waters only broke right at the end was much less painful. So if you had broken waters at this stage with DC1, you could well be in active labour without being in as much pain as you were before.

One of my sisters had a pain-free birth with one of the DC, she swears it didn't hurt at all until 2nd stage when she started pushing.

memphis83 Fri 27-May-11 17:22:00

when I was in labour they broke my waters, they were so thick that the mw said they wouldnt have gone on there own, the waters were in the shape of a lightbulb so when they broke the water no water came out as his head was so low, but I tried everything to get them to pop and they wouldnt including jumping from trampoline onto patio shock and i ran up a hill with the dog pulling me up!!
could you have a bath with clary sage in? if you went in wouldnt the monitor show they arent that strong? good luck though it sounds like it will be very soon!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-May-11 17:28:51

DC2, who arrived en Caul, was a much less painful birth than after the waters had gone with DC1. Don't know if the waters cushion you so that the contractions are less painful.

TotorosOcarina Fri 27-May-11 18:23:45

im worried for you as i was 7-8cms and laughing and joking i had hardly ANY pains until my waters popped and then the pain kicked in and DS was born 30 mins later!!

I would go to hospital!

Icanonlytry Fri 27-May-11 18:37:52

Just typed a message and it has vanished.
Had another bath and feel like i might have lost a bit of water, felt a popping sensation like when baby first kicks then felt like I was wetting myself blush have tried to ring hospital but they are engaged (not a good sign)
If they put me on the monitor and the contractions are not strong will they just send me home? Never had any of this with dd, she showed no sigh of coming until i was induced at 42 weeks.

BooBooGlass Fri 27-May-11 18:51:52

Mine popped when I climbed out of the bath. And I too wasn't sure if they really had. 3 hours later, hello ds grin Get to the hospital. See you on the other side wink

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-May-11 19:00:01

Give them a ring again and if they don't answer just go there anyway. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Icanonlytry Fri 27-May-11 19:42:01

Just had another bath and not sure if I lost a bit of water whilst in there. Just felt a popping sensation almost like when baby first kicks then felt like i had wet myself blush have put a pad on and tried to ring hospital but they are engaged (not a good sign i am sure). If they put me on a monitor and it shows the contractions are not very strong will they just send me home?

Icanonlytry Fri 27-May-11 19:44:20

Got through and she told me to put a pad on and ring back in an hour. Didnt seem too concerned.

Portofino Fri 27-May-11 19:44:37

I would be heading to the hospital now personally! Good luck!

Icanonlytry Fri 27-May-11 19:44:44

Got through and she told me to put a pad on and ring back in an hour. Didnt seem too concerned.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 28-May-11 08:40:52

Any news Ican? Is LO here yet? smile

Icanonlytry Sat 28-May-11 09:03:37

No news Im afraid. Went to delivery suite last night and she said i hadnt dilated anymore since the midwife examined me. I am having contractions but they are still irregular so she said i could go up to the war or go home and rest. I just know i am going to have to be induced again sad.
Thanks for asking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now