Talk

Advanced search

Second C-Section - scar question

(16 Posts)
kiwidreamer Thu 26-May-11 18:55:03

I had DC1 by EMCS three years ago, DC2 by semi ELCS (two weeks over and no sign of cervix getting ready) six days ago, yesterday I had the dressing removed and when I saw my 'new' scar I was horrified - I dont remember feeling like this after the EMCS.

It looks like the two incisions have been stitched together horribly, they look like a mountain range rather than a flat stitch, all raised and puckered - for those of you who have had two c-sections does this sound normal????? I havent had any 'baby blues' as such but every time I look at the wound I end up sobbing or even thinking about it I well up with tears which I'm sure in part is hormones but I'm really really worried the surgeon has screwed things up and I'll be left with this awful gash across my bikini line.

I'm trying not to obsess about it, I have a beautiful baby girl who is an absoulte delight and feeding / sleeping is going really well and I know that is far more important, I'm not a vain person but the wound/scar site looks terrible - can anyone shed any light on what their 2 x c section scar looked like in the week after surgery and after some time. Many thanks.

Happygomummy Thu 26-May-11 19:02:48

I have 2 scars and I wear them with pride.

A 2 week old scar looks grim, a 2year old one does not.

They're not perfect lines with no little ridgy bits, but they're pretty close!

Don't worry and enjoy that beautiful little bundle!

SandStorm Thu 26-May-11 19:04:32

I don't even notice my scar any more. The children on the other hand...

1944girl Thu 26-May-11 19:16:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsravelstein Thu 26-May-11 19:20:55

my 2nd section scar was pretty awful as the doctor cut an x over the 1st scar.... it always looked pretty rubbish but it certainly improved a bit over time, it's still very early days so wait and see and I'm sure it will not be as bad as you fear. (i got my x marks the spot tidied up considerably when i had 3rd section....)

Sparklies Thu 26-May-11 20:10:21

I've had 3 and only one scar - they always went in through the old one. I assumed that was normal but I guess not?

graciousenid Thu 26-May-11 22:35:28

I've had 3 (#4 in 3 weeks) & only one scar too.

mrsravelstein Fri 27-May-11 10:09:06

they are supposed to go in through the old scar if it's possible yes. i saw a consultant to discuss after my 2nd section who said it's not always possible

a) if its a major emergency and they just need to cut quickly or

b) if you are for some reason much bigger or much smaller than you were before, and therefore the old scar may not fall in the right place the 2nd time, so you could end up with one parallel to the other

there was no excuse for mine, and in fact when he saw it he asked if i'd had it done in a 3rd world country, and was quite embarrassed and apologetic when i said it had been 18 months ago in his hospital by one of his registrars

trixie123 Fri 27-May-11 20:57:06

had my second CS two weeks ago and it does look worse than i remember the 1st one looking + they botched it a bit this time and I had an infection but that has now cleared. I am assuming that over time it will fade and get to the point where I don;t really think about it as it did last time. TBH you can't see it at the moment as it is hidden under horrible overhang - am more comcerned about that than the scar!

serendipity16 Sat 28-May-11 08:07:17

I had my 4th section in November & they cut away my old scar so i have a new one. However the surgeon used staples/clamps and the scar isn't too neat or nice looking plus due to her cutting the skin away i now have hair growing in the scar blush
To be honest i can't see it (got a saggy gut) but even if i could it wouldn't bother me as its covered up all the time.

harrygracejessica Sat 28-May-11 09:04:51

I've had 3 and only 1 scar as they cut away the old one each time so still neat looking.

kiwidreamer Sat 28-May-11 18:12:26

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone, I'm a bit more level headed about how it looks now, it's still horrible but I can look at it without crying now. I've got my 10 day check on Monday so will ask MW what she thinks. It's a little bit weepy at the moment which is of more concern :-/

Lcy Sat 28-May-11 20:29:57

Good idea to get MW to look at it. I have had two c-sections and I have one scar but it is a bit wonky. It looked dreadful straight after the second c-section but although obviously still wonky it is much less obvious. I was very weepy 6 days after c-section and think I just got the baby blues a bit later. I hope you can get some rest and feel better soon.

nometime Sat 28-May-11 20:36:46

One EMCS and one Elective here. Scar looks a lot better now, 8 years on, than it did but it was very red for an awfully long time and was numbish for ages, I still don't like touching it!

Get the MW to have a look and I am sure she will put your mind at rest - don't beat yourself up about feeling teary - remember you have just had a baby and major surgery to boot!!!

Meglet Sat 28-May-11 20:41:08

My second cs scar healed up ok, although it did get irritated and weep / bleed if I did too much in the first couple of weeks (I took that as my cue to do bugger all for as long as possible). Just rest and let it heal, it's still early days.

FWIW I had a hysterectomy 9 months after my last cs and 2 years on the scar is fading away. I tried to show the dc's where it was recently and they were a bit 'meh' about it as they could hardly see it.

WidowWadman Sat 28-May-11 21:01:42

My second CS was only 2 dys ago, so the staples are still in and I have to see how it develops, but I understand they've cut the old one out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now