Talk

Advanced search

Postnatal care in Bristol?

(15 Posts)
Boogiemumma Wed 25-May-11 18:00:36

Just wondered if anyone had ewxperience of postnatal care in Bristol Hospitals recently or in the past? I'm due to to have dd1 in Southmead and had ds1 there 6 years ago. Tbh I was not impressed with Pn care, antenatal was great but pn were continually short staffed and short tempered, food and hygiene also left a lot to be desired. I'm hoping that they've improved? grin

Yukana Wed 25-May-11 23:34:03

Watching this. I'll probably have to go to St Michael's Hospital (though don't want to hijack your thread, OP), and am curious as what to expect as this is my first baby.

figgygal Thu 26-May-11 09:57:16

I've friends who have been to southmead and didn't report problems but I've decided to go to RUH bath as didn't like the facilities at southmead and had heard the food was bad.

Boogiemumma Thu 26-May-11 11:29:50

Yes I plan on having food bought in! Last time I was there the only meal they did that I found edible was a cheese sandwich.

CaptainBarnacles Thu 26-May-11 11:32:50

I was in Southmead and the postnatal care was absolutely fine. Food was ok too. Very impressed by the birth suite there, and the midwives were great.

8rubberduckies Fri 27-May-11 18:58:28

Hi I had ds1 at Southmead nearly 3 years ago, and I thought that the facilities were great, including the midwife-led unit I didn't get to use due to being induced angry. The food was foul though; I spent ten days in hospital as ds caught Strep B, and I had friends and family bring me in food when they came to visit, and just ordered sandwiches for each meal.

Most of the staff were fantastic, especially the midwives, although the male consultant overseeing ds's care after the birth treated me like a bit of an idiot (but I'm pretty sure that's endemic in the world of male consultants dealing with post or prenatal females???)

I'll be back there soon for potentially a much longer stay, as dc2 is possibly in an unstable lie, so I am already planning my massive snack bag and list of friends who can cook yummy food and drop it up to me!!!!

Overall, I have no problem ata ll with Southmead, as I'm pretty sure the food is as bad at most hospitals, and the care I got was great overall.

Dolcegusto Fri 27-May-11 19:35:51

I had dd2 at southmead, as it was a relatively straightforward birth, gave birth at 1pm, was discharged at 7 so home for tea! But what I remember, postnatal care was fine. The midwife ran me a bath, checked on me a couple of times, (dh was with me) but left me to bond with dd2, which tbh, suited me fine.

alicat10 Sat 04-Jun-11 18:36:39

I had DS via EMCS with him transferred to NICU and DD by a (sort of) elective CS both in Southmead. Very happy with post-natal care and NICU staff all excellent. Food wasn't brilliant I have to admit but I was v impressed with midwives. The MW who was with me and DS from CS through to his transfer to NICU remembered us 18 months later! And with DD I had all sorts of worries esp re breastfeeding because of experience with DS and MW were happy to check every single latch until I was happy I had got the hang of it. NO hesitation at all in going back for my elective CS for DC3...

JiminyCricket Sat 04-Jun-11 18:52:22

Delivery suite care at St Michaels was great, but I had pretty poor care on the ward for three days afterwards - to be fair I think this was mainly the fault of one midwife and on the fourth day I had a much better one. Southmead is meant to be good. RUH delivery suite was good, (I was admitted there after a home birth) I never used the wards.

FirstVix Mon 06-Jun-11 10:13:55

Was in Southmead just under 4 weeks ago with DD. Care was excellent and very helpful eg when I discovered I'd left cotton wool buds at home (at 3am!!). Wards were boiling but I think this is standard?

The food seemed good to me. I had vegetarian option so not a massive choice. Breakfast was a self serve (I could move fine by then) from about 6am which helped as I couldn't sleep in the sauna! No toaster since the fire brigade were called out too often! Not sure about those confined to bed but no-one on my ward seemed left alone. Staff were generally quick to respond to calls and not over-intrusive if your curtains were closed.

Only problem was the massive length of time it took to be discharged but that was mostly because I was waiting to get prescription painkillers and I did get to escape the heat the day after giving birth so not really too long (I was v impatient to be at home)!

I was very happy with the whole experience despite my entire birth plan having to be chucked out the window!

Boogiemumma Mon 06-Jun-11 22:32:38

well tomorrow's the day so we'll see, I'm optimistic, will post how it was.

FirstVix Tue 07-Jun-11 10:41:47

Good luck!!

Boogiemumma Sun 19-Jun-11 21:58:46

Just an update, had DD on 7th, all went well and she is lovely! Care in Soutnhmead was fabulous! A real turnaround from my DS's delivery 6 yrs ago. Staff were amazing and very supportive with me establishing breastfeeding. Food was not up to much but would rather have good care as can have food bought in.

8rubberduckies Mon 20-Jun-11 21:34:53

Congratulations Boogiemumma glad your experience was positive - I am hoping to be taking a trip there for some horrible food very, very soon... due date this Weds....

moregranny Tue 21-Jun-11 22:07:19

My daughter had an ecs at southmead yesterday, I have to thank them for saving my grandaughters life and for the care and consideration they have shown since, I think that puts things like food quality way down the list of worries. I had both of my children there 30 and 28 years ago and thanks once again for the care given then as my daughter was very ill for the first few days of her life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now