Talk

Advanced search

Dublin maternity/birth experiences and advice?

(11 Posts)
Dualta Sun 22-May-11 11:15:26

Hi all
Just wondering if there are any Dublin mums who can share experiences of Dublin maternity services? I'm moving to ireland (due October) having lived in the UK for 9 years - and am trying to understand what the set up is in Dublin.
Any advice for a first timer would be hugely appreciated!

elmofan Sun 22-May-11 12:32:45

Hi , i'm a dubliner born & bred smile

I had both my dc in the ROTUNDA HOSPITAL (north side of city centre) if you can afford it i would highly recommend going semi private though, better treatment , nicer more understanding nurses etc . As far as i know you can just phone up the rotunda & explain your situation and they will book you in straight away for an appointment /scan . If you would like me to pm you the number just let me know smile . good luck with the move

Dualta Sun 22-May-11 20:43:52

Thanks so much Elmofan - sounds great.
What sort of costs do you know are involved in semi private and is that just for the room or also for the treatment? Is VHI required?
Thanks again!
Dualta

elmofan Sun 22-May-11 22:21:45

Well my dd is 5yrs old now but it cost
us €3,000 back then in semi private, but that was
because i had a c-section & had to stay in hospital
for 4 days afterwards. The hospital will let you pay
in installments. smile

Aloha31 Fri 10-Jun-11 04:17:40

I am with the domino community midwives at Holles Street, totally free and incredible service.

A good few of our circle of friends have recently had babies too, and those who went private/semi-private wish they hadn't. They don't seem to have had the level of care as with the domino scheme. See domino

I also recommend the yoga classes at Holles Street - cheapest prenatal classes around and just fantastic. I am 2 weeks over and incredibly comfortable thanks in part to the classes.

Good luck!

Dualta Sun 19-Jun-11 13:21:45

Thanks Aloha, will definitely check that out, great tip on the holles st yoga. Hope all went well with your delivery!

MelanieWiggles Mon 20-Jun-11 21:21:19

I had my first child in Holles St. in 2009 and am going back for my second. I went private (cost c. €3,800 with VHI - if you don't have insurance I would not recommend it) and will do so again. I had an EMCS first time round and it was well worth every penny - my consultant was superb and looked after me very well.

The three main maternity hospitals (Holles St., the Coombe and the Rotunda) are all fairly similar. The public/semi-private/private system is pretty much the same for each and is summarised here:
www.nmh.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=2_7_61

There is also the option of going to Mount Carmel on a private or semi-private basis, but it is generally more expensive.

chipmonkey Mon 20-Jun-11 23:00:18

I have had four babies in Holles St, but all by CS and am going back there again to have dc5. The private consultants fees alone are 3500 and only 500 of that is recoverable from VHI althoug the hospital bed itself is covered. I went semi-private on ds1 and private for all the others, mainly because I was not happy with the doctor who did my CS on ds1 and wanted to be able to choose the doctor the next time. The consultant will only guarantee to be present at the birth if you are private. Obviously for a natural delivery, this is not so much of a problem because you are doing most of the work and the MW's do the rest!

I have ended up in public wards in Holles St and tbh I didn't find the nursing care as good as when I was on a private/semi-private ward. The nurses seem overworked and can''t spend lots of time on each patient. A friend of mine has had five dcs, managed to bf four of them but ff the fifth because she didn't get any help with bf. That child was the only one she had on a public ward, with the others she had a private room.

You do need VHI/Quinn/ Aviva to go either private or semi but tbh you may want to check out if you will be covered if you take out insurance now; I may be wrong but think you have to be a member of VHI for quite a while before they will cover a pre-existing condition and I am not sure if they count maternity in this?

if you are going public, then I second what someone else said about the domino scheme, have known a few women who did this and they were very happy with the care and following my own experience of public wards, I think it is likely to be better than that! If I could have natural deliveries that is probably what I would do.

I did read a few threads on rollercoaster.ie which suggested The Coombe is not very clean but this was quite a while ago so don't know if it's still the case. Never had any problems with Holles St in that way.

Aloha31 Tue 21-Jun-11 09:25:30

Since I wrote last on this thread I gave birth to dd as a public patient at holes street. It was fantastic! The domino midwives looked after me throughout labour and kept visiting me afterwards on the ward. I had a private room, while a friend who had a cs the same week, semi-private, got a bed in a public ward - a lot of the time there are no guarantees, just depends what they have available.

The midwives continued to visit me at home for ten days after the birth. Will definitely use the scheme next time!

chipmonkey Tue 21-Jun-11 14:10:06

Congratulations, Aloha!grin

Dualta Sat 25-Jun-11 20:51:28

Thank you all so much for this detailed information - and Aloha congratulations! Glad it all went so well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now