Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Had Stretch and Sweep this morning 40 weeks preg 1cm dilated soft cervix and 3/4 engaged..

(24 Posts)
Scruffyhound Tue 05-Apr-11 12:43:16

Just wondered of other peoples experiances I think the soft cervix means ripe?
1cm dilated is straight forward but this could stay like this for ages yet?!
3/4 engaged the head is working its way down.
Also what the hell does posterior cervix mean?

Was wondering if other people have had a stretch and sweep and if it worked and how long it took?

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 05-Apr-11 13:16:05

hi scruffyhound,
I started contacting on the sun, had a stretch and sweep on the tues, gave birth on the weds evening (i was all a bit dilly dally mind...over 3 hrs pushing! No doubt you will be quicker!)

I suggest you keep moving and get lots of rest...though i know that is a contradiction! Maybe start baking a bake to occupy yourself...you can eat it to celebrate. smile good luck!

amberscow Tue 05-Apr-11 13:17:57

is this your first baby? i had the sweep and it took about 8 hours before my water broke but i was i only 1cm dilated at 2am. when checked at 5am i was over 9cm and had DD at 7am. think everyones different but it doesn't have to be ages. you feeling any contractions yet?

Scruffyhound Tue 05-Apr-11 13:30:21

Hello Ladies thanks for your support!! I have been having some cramping on and off it started about 1/2 hour ago. I have asked DP to come home as no one one is avalible to pick my DS up from school (I have to drive there!) Im not sure if things will progress or not but I dont want to worry about driving to pick my DS up whilst this is going on. Will feel bad if nothing happens though!! Oh well I have no crystal ball so I cant help it smile. Im not convinced it will work I was only 1cm dilated?! But reading your story amberscow I might be in with a chance. I feel a little down hearted as there have been soo many contractions leading to nothing. Your stories have made me feel better!! Thanks baking sounds good! Ran out of eggs though hmm if DP comes home will go for a walk with DS, DP and the hound maybe that will get things going? Dont want to walk the dog on my own in case something happens sounds lame I know!!!

SometimesIAmABirdbrain Tue 05-Apr-11 13:37:55

hopefully you are in with a chance, scruffycow. i had 3 sweeps after going overdue and not one of them worked and i finally gave into a c-section for other reasons but i have friends who went into active labour after just one sweep! hopefully it's all happening for you but do be prepared for a long wait just in case. sounds like u r keeping busy anyway so good luck for when it comes.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 05-Apr-11 13:47:54

Ah well scruffy, as this is not your first it is bound to be quicker than my experience! Positive thinking! Think open cervix, keep your jaw relaxed etc etc! grin

You do right getting dp home, you can't drive!

No eggs...biscuits maybe? Something nice to have with a cuppa!
Good luck and let us know how it goes. smile

Scruffyhound Tue 05-Apr-11 13:49:27

Thanks for the post!! Im not sure if it will work or not?! Who knows pregnancy is such a supprise you just dont know whats next....... wish we could know sometimes though eh?!! smile

Karoleann Tue 05-Apr-11 15:23:11

I was similar with both sweeps, engaged and slightly dilated. DC1 gave birth about 36 hours after sweep. DC2 nothing happened and was induced at 40+8

Scruffyhound Tue 05-Apr-11 16:41:04

Im hoping this turns out to be something had quite bad cramps. Will have to see how it goes. I have cleaned things and babys bottles and stuff went a bit mad!! Wanted to bring on the pain tired now!! I hope this works I really do..... mixed reviews on here smile

amberscow Tue 05-Apr-11 18:11:53

good luck scruffyhound. hope you get to meet your little one soon. keep us posted x

Scruffyhound Wed 06-Apr-11 09:57:33

Oh well its now 24 hours and nothing just cramps still. The cramps were quite babd yesterday afternoon and I thought that was it thought it was hopsital time. Got DP to fin work early to pick up DS and they got back not long after it subsided. I had cramps in the night and woke up feeling rough and crampy this morining I now have the added fun of looking after 5YR old as he has a chesty cough and a bit of a temp. Feeling quite grouchy today grrrrrrrrrr!! I hope stretch and sweeps work for other people I have heard it has for some. Was hoping to avoid another visit to the consultant but I have to re book my midwife told me yesterday even though wehn i rang up last week they said dont worry and everything is ok. (I was having contractions then and did not wantot drive!!) smile

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 06-Apr-11 10:40:00

Oh Poor you scruffyhound.

You have my sympathy.

I'm sending you massive oxytocin vibes to get them moving along.......

Then you can get your dp home to look after the lo and you can get on with haviong a baby!

Fingers crossed! smile

Scruffyhound Wed 06-Apr-11 10:53:18

Ahhh thanks*moonfacemamaaaargh* I would just like the pain either to increase or just bugger off!! He he. DP was trying to be nice last night giving me kisses and trying to cuddle me I was really fed up as I felt a bit let down. I did not want him near me. We kept getting messages all night the phone was going "any news?" I was really fed up and felt pressured to have the baby how silly is that?! I was up staris with my DS making sure he had a bath and stuff come back down after 1/2 hour DP said how you feeling? "Crampy I said" "How often are they coming asked DP?" I was like oh my god we had just had loads of phone calls about it then he was starting!! Can tell im fed up and tired!!! I should change my name on here to grouchcow smile

Leilababyno1 Wed 06-Apr-11 14:13:49

Sorry to gate crash your post Scruffyhound ..I hope your baby makes an appearance very soon!smile

I just have a question re stretch and sweeps, for anyone that can advise??

My MW offers a sweep at 40 weeks for first babies, but could only fit me in for my 40 wk antenatal when I will be 39+3. I asked her if she would still be able to sweep, and she said yes- no problem doing one a few days early.

Is there a strong likelihood that the sweep won't have any affect though, or do you think a few days either way shouldn't make much difference?? Should I just let her try or refuse?

Thanks!

Scruffyhound Wed 06-Apr-11 15:56:33

To be honest I think it depends how you feel. I feel quite exhausted and have thyroid issues as well. I had a car accident a few weeks ago and whilst it was a knock in the back it hurt my back so Im just quite uncomfortable. I think its up to you its your body and its your decission. I was not offered one with my DS (who is now 5 rys old) but this time around I feel quite fed up and was willing to give anything a go (accpet sex the thought of it makes me feel uncomfortable!! smile)
If the midwife it willing to do it and your wanting it then go for it! I was sooo worried about it but it was ok. Bit uncomfortable when she first was putting her fingers in and trying to reach whatever she she trying to get at that was not great but once she got to where she needed it was ok she told me she was perfoming the sweep that bit was ok. It helps loads if you relax I was tense at first then relaxed and was laughing!! I was 39 + 4 days when I had it done. The midwife said at first oh your cervix is closed like it was a bad thing then she said oh wait its 1cm dilated and the cervix was soft so she did it. In the end its your decission and just because Im still sitting here with no baby does not mean it would not work for you. I figure its going to be better than chemicals or drugs up there?! Im booked for another next Tues. Hope your ok and hope this helps?! smile

Leilababyno1 Wed 06-Apr-11 16:07:20

Thank's Scruffyhound!

I have also heard that they can only perform a sweep if your cervix is open and soft- as my babies is not engaged at the mo (was and has since popped out again..confused, I'm not sure if a sweep will be possible. Still I have a couple of weeks to go before my 40 wk check up, so things may change.

Thank's for your advice, I think I will go for it as long the MW is able to do one...Nothing ventured, nothing gained- and if it 'helps' to get things going after 9 months of waiting, then that's no bad thing!

Good-luck for your next one, hope it gets things moving for you!!

smile

Scruffyhound Wed 06-Apr-11 18:15:14

I think decisions like this are personal and its your body and baby. Im sure/hope the midwife would not offer this to you if it was not ok to do so. I wanted it for the reasons I have given above. If your not happy whilst she is doing it for any reason you could always ask her to stop? I was uncomfortable at frst then I thought what the hell she has started it now lets get it done and thats when I relaxed and let her "get on with it" and it was not so bad then. I think the pretence and worry of having it done i was already tense but then ok after. I dont think your normal if your looking forward to it well in the sense of the procedure that would be weird shock. I hope it goes well for you. Im having some contractions again now and more discharge/mucus plug? Nice!! pregnancy is so delightful! smile

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 06-Apr-11 19:27:30

hi grouchcow, i mean scruffyhound! Hope things are going well for you and you're not being pestered too much! smile

Good luck leila! I might be a bit worried tbh in case the sweep worked and baby wasn't in position to move in the right direction but i'm sure your mw wouldn't offer if that was a risk in the real world (as opposed to the crazy world in my head) smile

Scruffyhound Wed 06-Apr-11 19:59:44

I do thnk grouchycow is far better!! My DS is in bed watching a film im ,lying on my side trying to bring on contractions (as this seems to work when I want some sleep smile) getting fed up of people ringing any news? For god sake!!! I know people are excited and people are worried but were really not going to be texting with updates every 2 mins!! I have turned my phone on silent now!! He he. Still getting messages but no ringtone I was ready to throw it away!! I hope you ladies are ok? Will be glad when I can go to bed. Food shopping is being delivered tomorrow so baby will prob come!!! Going paint my nails and tempt fate worked with DS! Painted my nails was in hospital about 5 hours after!! They had to remove it I said sorry to them grin

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 06-Apr-11 20:14:26

ha, love the nail painting! hope it works! Defo keep phone on silent...i remember my folks ringing dh ALL THE TIME when i was in labour and it was really annoying.

Hope you have a baby by morning! Or a good night's sleep! One or the other! smile

lilymolly Wed 06-Apr-11 20:19:26

oh I feel your pain.

I went overdue with both of my babies and was induced wuth both at 40 plus 13 days grin

with my second baby, I had 2 sweeps one at 7 days o/due and one at 10 days o/due and was 3-4 cm dilated with a very ripe cervix but baby was not engaged (2nd babies dont apparantly)

I had a bit of cramping and discharge for a few days but nothing happened.

I had my waters broke at 40 plus 13 days and ds was born within an hour smile

Good luck

Sex and nipple twiddling is the way forward wink

Scruffyhound Wed 06-Apr-11 21:29:51

I love it glad Im not the only one with annoying people ringing up and asking any news? Its always those words as well!! I did concider telling everyone we have had the baby then they would leave us alone!! But I cant be that cruel can I?! He he. My mum is down coming to see me this weekend and I hope baby has come by then or comes when mum is here. Also My DS is with his dad this weekend so dont need to worry about childcare for Friday/Saturday night which makes me feel better! smile So Im sure baby will come at a silly time and will have to panick about DS!!

I think the nipple thing is too much for me they are a bit sore and as for sex well how do you do that again! confused No I really dont want to have sex I feel so uncomfortable as it is..... Had currys and pineapples. I will just wait it out like everyone else I guess. My DS took a week to come out was in hospital at 2cm they kept me in never said why?! Just thought it was the norm....... well thanks for the thoughts of nice sleep or a baby I think sleep would be good right now........... Hope your all going to get to see your babys soon! It exciting but also pooing myself for labour....... wink

ERST Wed 08-Jun-11 11:04:14

Hello, just joined MN so thought i'd ask my first question. I'm 40+6 and the midwife mentioned about having a stretch and sweep on fri (41+1). Up until now my baby (1st) has only been 'at the brim'. If this is the case on friday, will they do the sweep or does the baby need to be engaged?

Flisspaps Wed 08-Jun-11 11:10:56

Hi ERST

You might get a better response if you start a new thread - what will tend to happen on this one is people will respond to the OP without realising the thread was started in April and the OP will hopefully have had her baby one way or another by now smile

FWIW, I think as long as your cervix is favourable, they'll do the sweep if you want it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: